Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gevurah

join:2013-02-22
York Haven, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Mech Warrior Online

My last comment: "Let's do a few block to see how you like the new meta/where you stack up. At this point I think every person we can get the better.

Also about the start time - If you want to go later guys that's not a problem. Just let me know if anyone can't do 11p, and if you can't tell me if 9p works better so I can do a head count."

Friday 9 or 11p. I basically didn't get enough firm answers so just hung out between that timeframe to see who was on, if we had enough or close to I could bug people since the times were somewhat muddy for a few.

I've had the distinct pleasure of setting up raids back in TBC/Wrath for WOW and running them as well as numerous arena teams. When you have a small group like this without firm commitment times by several the approach I took *USUALLY* works ok. Lack of participation means I probably need to recruit more active members or get on people's asses.
--
- My reactor is powered by brony tears.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Friday. That was the last I heard of it.

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
reply to Gevurah

Likely the same, without a firm schedule or commitment, you will need a larger pool.

We did have some good games, but that was in a pug environment with only 4 people.

Gevurah

York Haven, PA
reply to Gevurah

Just to be clear - it probably would have helped to have actually posted a firm commitment time instead of thinking it in my head and expecting dslr to post it. So yeah. I'm an idjit :P

Is friday ok with people still? We can just go between 9-11 friday's (EST) as a 'group outing' since that's what the original 1sthussars site survey said as the most viable time. Well, that and sunday.

So those are my two 'big nights'. Try to plan on being on if possible for either so we can try to get some groups going.
--

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

I will plan to be on.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Gevurah

I am traveling this week but will be on if the hotel wifi cooperates.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Gevurah

After August, going forward, 9-11 EST will be too early for me to attend any group outing. Sorry, just not going to happen, ever.

If we started the outing at 11 EST, I could regularly attend.

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

I personally play till the wee hours. People showing up after 11 are fine by me - after all life happens and what not.
--

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

Reposted from my thread on the mwomercs forums and also at »1sthussars.ihostinghq.com/topic/···uild-qpm

So this mech started off with me absolutely hating it. I had something like a .1 KDR on it (Current average by comparison is 1.20 even with 2500 kills). I tried the typical 5 ML/2SRM6, 2streak/2LL/etc builds ... and it just wasn't doing it. It tried to be too hard to act like a heavy when it obviously wasn't. It overheated often, had no real advantages vs cents/cicadas/etc.

So out of sheer desperation I started throwing parts at it to see what stuck.

This is what I ended up with:

»mwo.smurfy-ne...7f95ecf619d8831

And it works; hilariously well.

2 LRM10 + Artemis
3 Medium lasers for brawling (No TAG, that's a personal choice)
STD 250
ENDO, FERRO, DHS, ARTEMIS

Why it works:
The relatively high speed of this build (81kph), the high mount points of the missile launchers, the small tubes (turn out is an advantage see below), moderate durability of the hunchback platform, two separate mount points for launchers (VS the 4J which has a single hunch, making it easy to disable), even the standard engine vs typical XLs used in trebuchets makes for a good support mech.

Regarding the smaller launcher tubes, it's a trade off. Against heavy AMS you lose out. Against moderate/light/no AMS you can set the two launchers into chain fire and effectively hit them 4 times per volley for lots of screen juggling action. This helps prevent effective return fire and has saved my bacon numerous times.

Current stats for comparison:
HUNCHBACK HBK-4SP MP 31 MW 19 ML 12 W/L 1.58 K 28 D 10 K/DR 2.80

(and climbing - went from 2.44 to 2.8 yesterday alone lol)

One addendum - since making the switch I've put in over 25 kills and only died 3-5 times. So I expect this will show out over a longer sample period.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

I am a huge fan of the 4SP version with 5ML 2SRM6, so much that I recommend it to every new player out there as their first mech.

I like this build a lot I will give it a try when I can play MW again.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
reply to Gevurah

I am guessing that the majority of your kills are from the LRM's.

It is an intersting build, I will have to try it out with my SP. Right now I have the 5 ML, with 2 SRM 4's to max out the engine and provide a few more heat sinks.

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

I found 5 ML's was far too hot to run regularly and SRMs might as well have been spitballs.

I like popping the tip top of my head over a hill, firing lrms and the head laser then backing off. I will definitely agree that the vast bulk of my kills are from LRMs, though I've done my fair share of end-game brawling with 3 ML's.
--

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I'll see if I can digup how I had my 4sp setup when I placed in the top ten in a medium tourney. I think I saved it somewhere. If I remember right I had 3 large lasers and 2 mediums. Let me check.

I'll have to give lrms a try.

*Here it is. »mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=22&l···8046a844

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I like this. Thanks for sharing.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Krisnatharok

How I never got around to playing this game, I have no idea.
I've been fucking around with it for a week or so and have purchased two Mechs so far, the Jaegermech -S and a Stalker -3F.

I played the shit out of Battletech back in the day and read lots of the novels, so I'm almost embarrassed that it has taken me so long to get into this game. I've had a ton of fun and feel competent enough to now dip my toes into some group play. I rock dual AC10/4xML on my Jaeger and 2xSRM6/2xLRM10/2xLL/2xML (IIRC) on my Stalker.

Hit me up on here or on 'Painkiller' in game.
--
¯\_()_/¯ () mmoQQ.com () °°

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

Good to have you. When are yo usually on?
--

Mentat
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

9 or 10 PM-2 AM CST weeknights, all weekend.

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Good choices in mechs imo

Loadouts are definately different from the "norm"

But I use cheese builds most of the time anyway, and non-standard builds to keep it interesting.

Mentat
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

I have purposely foregone trying to min/max and spreadsheeting, just because once I start doing that my fun seems to diminish.

Trial and error has served me well so far, even though I get raped by long range sniping-type Mechs regardless of my build it seems.

Closing the distance while trailing a big Atlas when I'm on my Jaeger has paid off the best so far, and softening up any Mech other than another assault class on my Stalker with the LRMs, then blowing the fuck out of them up close has worked well also.
--
¯\_()_/¯ () mmoQQ.com () °°

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

Per: »mwomercs.com/forums/topic/126340···le-july/

Greetings MechWarriors

As you may be aware we've been working to open up Public Test Servers to the MWO Community. This gives us an opportunity to open up builds to you that preview features that are not yet fully production ready to allow us to get earlier feedback and find issues around large features before they make they're way to the Production Servers.

Any questions about how the Test Servers operate can be found here.

It is important to note that Test Servers only run on set days at set times, the purpose of this forum is to convey the planned dates and times of any upcoming tests. So please check back regularly to see what new tests are planned. We will generally try to update this as soon as we expect a build to be ready for public test but please note that all tests are subject to change, if we encounter last minute issues with a test build.

So without further ado here is the current planned Test Schedule for the remainder of July:

12 vs. 12 Thursday 11th July 10am - 12pm and 4pm - 6pm

12 vs. 12 Thursday 18th July 10am - 12pm and 4pm - 6pm

12 vs. 12 Thursday 25th July 10am - 12pm and 4pm - 6pm

All Public Test Times are in PDT

After each test please ensure you fill out the provided Feedback Form, this is actively monitored by the development team and will help inform future changes.

If haven't already downloaded the Test Server Installer it can be found here
--

Gevurah

York Haven, PA

From Paul as of today:

… *Thunder booms in the distance*…

Arriving for July 16th… heat scale on high weapon count alphas.

As promised, once systems are in place for new balancing/tuning features, I will let you know about them as they enter test. What we have seen so far is very positive. There are some tweaks that need to be done but those will come with subsequent patches. The key here is to get this feature enabled to allow you, the Beta testers to see the effects and adjust your gameplay or meta-gameplay as needed.

This is very experimental and is being addressed aggressively as I mentioned in my previous weapons update. The first set of numbers are for the immediate effect on the current meta-game but more weapons and balancing will occur with each patch you see on our path to Launch. That being said, here is a table of maximum weapons of each weapon type you can fire without incurring the heat penalty. Internally we call this value Max Alpha.

Weapon System Max Alpha
PPC 2
ERPPC 2
LRM-15 2
Large Laser 2
Medium Laser 6
AC/20 1
SRM-2 4
SSRM-2 4
SRM-4 4
SRM-6 3

Firing more weapons than Max Alpha makes heat generation grow exponentially. For example, from the table above, if you fire 2 PPCs, you will receive no heat penalty. Fire 3 and there will be a noticeable heat increase. Fire 4, it starts to get significant. Beyond that, you’re playing with fire.

What about SRMs?!?! Buff them to 2.5!!!

Nuh uh. 2.5 SRM damage causes the same effect as the previous LRM-aggedon. While funny to test, the 6-SRM6 Catapult will decimate any Assault class Mech in 3 volleys. The third volley doesn’t even have to be a full volley, 2 volleys following up with a medium laser will probably kill most builds in the game. So what am I going to do about this? Well let me explain an issue…

Many of you have cited hit detection errors. We’re seeing this as well. While it happens across almost all Mechs, it’s most noticeable with small Mech chassis. Bumping damage is going to help deal a small amount more damage to small Mechs, but the larger Mechs are going to be destroyed VERY quickly. We are investigating the root cause of these detection errors but it’s a deep problem. We need to find out if it’s in HSR (host state rewind) or is it in the simulation running on the server etc etc. Once found we will be pouring heavy resources on to the problem to fix it ASAP. However, I can tell you this, it’s going to take a while to find due to its complexity.

That being said, here’s an opportunity for you to decide your fate when dealing with SRMs. In this feedback thread (»mwomercs.com/...-hit-detection/), there is a poll. You can vote to bump SRM damage up to 2.0, not this patch but next, or leave damage as is until hit detection is fixed. Keep in mind, this bump in damage is going to be a fairly big world of hurt for larger Mechs. NOTE: Cut off for voting will be Sunday 11:59PM PST.

Taking damage beyond 120% heat.
This value is going to be reduced to 100%. Depending on how long you're in a state of overheat will determine how much damage you take. If you overheat by 1 point and are only in overheat for a very short amount of time, you probably won't take any damage at all.

No clue why there's a big gap above the weapon table.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

RIP double AC20 jager.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Gevurah

Man, they kept saying that everything is as they want it and there is no need for change for the longest time, and now they are practically overhauling the whole heat system.

I got to admit though, so far, I like the direction this is going (but I am extremely biased as I'm 99% of the time in a Jenner...)

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
reply to Jobbie

doesn't affect my stalker 3F build, but yea, no more dual ac20 jaeger

2LL limit? that is dumb 3 would have been ok...

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

Agreed on 3LL

Gevurah

York Haven, PA
reply to Energystream

PGI seems to have altered their dev cycle for this stuff so time will tell how responsive they get on it.

Former cycle I figured was like this:

brainstorm --> prep --> Programming --> internal review --> Final evaluation --> release --> evaluate --> start over

Which was like a very long dev cycle, taking months to get simple things done.

Now it seems to be more like
brainstorm --> program --> internal review --> public test --> ?

So yeah, gonna be interesting seeing how they roll with feedback.
--

blakbas

join:2000-04-27
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Krisnatharok

I have been following this thread since it started but never posted, so I will take the time to say hi to everyone now. So hi everyone and nice to meet you.

I thought i remembered from a previous post or maybe even read on the MWO forums that there would not be a penalty if weapons were fired with a .5 sec delay. So assuming for example a dual ac20 mech had his/her 20's setup on two groups and fired one them, then the other would avoid the penalty if using the delay. I rarely fire both 20's at the same time anyway, you never know when just one 20 will take down an enemy or when you need to fire from around a corner. Plus its a good way to conserve ammo.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

The whole reason for firing these off in great succession is all about convergence.

You'll fire off one AC20 and it'll hit a shoulder, but a half second later, the next AC20 might hit a torso or an arm. The same thing takes place with six PPCs.

It's all about focusing damage on a single target. If you were firing off AC20s one at a time with a dual AC20 build, you were doing it incorrectly. Firing them off simultaneously sends 40 damage to a single component, guaranteed. Firing them off in tandem does not guarantee that same damage.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

blakbas

join:2000-04-27
Woodbridge, VA

Yes i understand that concept but its a matter of play style i guess. I will fire both at the same time if the situation is present, but i'm peeking from side of a hill a lot and if i fire both at the same time im putting one round into the rock. I usually get more damage posted at the end of the round like this because i get more shots on target.

Gevurah

York Haven, PA
reply to Archivis

Honestly I run my jager ac/20 in chain fire to lower heat as is anyways. It also gives more screen juggle in a brawl. So I'm not too worried.
--