kudos:2

Carpet to Tile transition screw up

Click for full size
First impression
Click for full size
Closer look
Click for full size
Kitchen transition
In preparation for selling the house, I spent a few days replacing the carpet in the master bathroom with tile. I cut the carpet well inside the door, so there would be plenty left for the transition, but I wasn't brave enough to cut it down to make the transition itself. I was already paying a flooring guy to lay laminate plank in the kitchen, so I paid him an extra $50 to do the carpet/tile transition as well.

Unfortunately he got to the transitions while I was away, and my wife didn't inspect his work before paying him. The pictures are the result, and today makes day 3 of unreturned phone calls.

The wood/carpet transition is manageable I think, it looks like the carpet just needs to be cut a little shorter, then tucked in better. But the bathroom is another story. The carpet is cut just a little too short on the right, and when I went to lift it up, I found a nice little chunk on the left filling a gap there. The center is a little too long to tuck in properly. And to make it worse, it looks like he used liquid nails (or something similar) to try to glue it down, leaving a rather thick and unpliable mess on the bottom of the carpet, so the tack strip isn't able to grip much.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can fix this? I tried pulling on the carpet a little, and I don't think it is going to stretch enough to fill the gap. Need to use some sort of transition piece I think, but I've never done this.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Um wrong forum?

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

Doah.... not enough coffee this morning. Mods, please move this to Home Improvement.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Camelot One

I found this on google: »www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/C···odMk4A5A

Basically, it would cover up the edge of the carpet and part of the flooring slightly..

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Camelot One

The home centers have laminate transition pieces just for this

Something similar to this

»www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Carpe···Id=10051

Or

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to Camelot One

That's terrible every time I've seen a transition like that they cut the extra a extra inch or two. Then they fold it under to make a neat transition. The can patch carpet maybe a foot or so back from the door opening and then try But since it's cut, you NEED to use the transition if you don't want to do anything.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

The home centers have laminate transition pieces just for this

Something similar to this
Or

Even if you don't want cheesey looking faux wood metal transitions, they'll have higher quality transitions that are flat for going to unequal floor highs such as vinyl flooring to laminates.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Camelot One

You can probably stretch the carpet that much with a carpet stretcher.

I know a good installer in the area if you want a pro to come out. I've used him for over 10 years. Sent me an IM.

blasher

join:2008-01-10
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Camelot One

To all the other posters, re-read OP's first sentence.

"In preparation to sell the house..." (paraphrased.

My suggestion is to do what is necessary to make it look good. If you are successful in your quest to sell the house, it's no longer your problem. If the house doesn't sell for an extended period of time, then try to repair it

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Camelot One

Thanks everyone. I looked at the links, but given the concrete floor, decided having a professional stretch the carpet (or splice a piece in) would be the best bet. Luckily, I found a guy willing to trade his carpet service for some computer work.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Camelot One

Z bar and a re-strech might make it cover?

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

reply to Camelot One

It looks like he used regular tack strip across the transition. It's not supposed to be used there because anyone who steps on the seam with bare feet will get nails stuck in their feet. There's metallic trim that you nail down first that is open. It's like an open letter C with a flat base where you nail it to the floor. The base has small hooks to grab the carpet like wood tack strip, but the hooks are just long enough to grab the carpet backing but not poke up through. You nail down the strip first, then hook the carpet on the hooks with the edge of the carpet under the open C area. Then you hammer down the C on top of the carpet to hold it in place.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by 8744675:

It looks like he used regular tack strip across the transition. It's not supposed to be used there because anyone who steps on the seam with bare feet will get nails stuck in their feet.

The carpet installers did that at my old house. I figured something was done wrong when my cat started jumping over the carpet transitions in the doorways.