Search similar:

uniqs

Philomont
@orbital.com

Philomont to Zenit_IIfx

Anon

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: [Northeast] Fios in Purcellville, VA

South of Purcellville, in Philomont, we had FIOS fiber optic laid in the ground back in January (and new in-ground green "boxes" every couple hundred feet). I contacted the county a couple weeks ago to find out when it would be activated at my address. They forwarded my request to Verizon who responded that my house would be wired up by December.

Interestingly, in the Powerpoint linked to earlier, my home was a pink/purple dot, not a black dot, so I don't think the interpretation that purple means excluded is correct. I hope that is correct, as I'm really looking forward to having more broadband options.
jeeden
join:2013-07-23
Purcellville, VA

jeeden

Wow, FIOS in Philomont would be VERY impressive. It would be like those "visions of the future" from EPCOT in the 80's where you could live way out in the country (or what used to be the country) and still have state of the art connectivity.

For another update, as I headed out of town this morning on my way to work there were a TON of Verizon trucks assembling at Anthony's by the 7-11 on the west side of town. Quite a few were the box like telecon trucks, some others were towing small trenching machines and excavators so I expect to probably see a lot of dirt moved in Farmington on the Green when I go by there tonight.
jeeden

jeeden

They are still laying the Fiber in Farmington on the Green outside of town, no telling when they will be done. A new development is they are putting fiber in on Rt690 north towards Hillsboro. There were 6 verizon trucks out there the other day putting it in. Seems like fiber is going in everywhere except for the town itself

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

The ironic part about this is all that fiber comes back to Purcellville to the Purcellville CO where its terminated....

If VZ does not wire up the town, Comcast will thank them very much for handing them a monopoly on a silver platter.
jeeden
Purcellville, VA

jeeden

Another update. I saw they putting a ton of fiber in at the entrance to the Lakepoint subdivision near the round hill exit on my way to work the other day. That community is so new (they are still building there) that I think they have fiber in the streets there. It looked like maybe they were just bringing it from Rt 7 to the first street.

I wonder if they are doing all of the larger fiber install/rough in first for all areas and then they will do all of the house level stuff. Maybe it would be a different contractor or they just organized it that way?

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to malletto

Premium Member

to malletto
Looks like not much has changed in town since my last post. A friend saw VZ pulling fiber in the old Bell System tunnels that run down Main Street, and asked them if it indeed was Fiber.

The VZ guy stated that the fiber was going to LVHS, which confuses me. LVHS already has a VZ fiber run dating back to Bell Atlantic. Perhaps intended for the townhome subdivision there?

Its probably the beginning of the fiber trunk from the CO to the subdivisons on the other side of town.

Who really knows. Too bad VZs construction website for VA is gone, it made this whole thing transparent. Now we are left guessing what will happen.

A bit of related news for broadband in Purcellville - Comcast is doubling their speeds for customers on Double and Triple play services in the coming months. The base 25mbit down, 5mbit up performance is becoming 50mbit down, 10 up.
Meanwhile many addresses in this town can only get 3mbit DSL max from VZ. If you live really close to the CO, speeds like 10mbit become possible. Still anemic for 2014.
Something is very wrong with that picture.

The lucky people that live near Franklin Park can get FIOS now, judging by whats on the poles. Once you leave town, on the section of Main Street that goes to Round Hill seems to be covered with the service.
I have no idea about the subdivisions mentioned earlier, but they should have service by now, unless VZ Construction moves at the pace of a turtle.
jeeden
Purcellville, VA

jeeden to malletto

to malletto
Still nothing at Farmington on the Green at the top of Tranquility road. A couple of days in early January they trenched down tranquility road half way to the phone box service on the side of the road. Then they trenched from their to the corner of rt 7 and tranquiity. I saw guys then screwing up the conduit up the side of the pole. From that point on you can see the fiber coming out of the top of the conduit and just limped over. Also can see both ends laying on the pavement next to the big existing phone box on Tranquility.

Maybe they have shut down work until the spring?
jeeden

jeeden

Well, an update finally. A couple of friends and my parents all in the Farmington On the Green neighborhood near Franklin park have now place their FIOS orders. The first installation I know of is scheduled for this Monday. As for myself just south of town, I haven't heard a peep even though the neighborhood is prewired.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to malletto

Premium Member

to malletto
Well, the weather is nicer. Have not seen much VZ progress in town, the fiber trunk in old town is still dangling from the poles unterminated, no other progress at all (no fiber) in the rest of the town proper.

Starting to think that it will never come to the town proper. The profits from 4G LTE are too juicy, and Comcast will be ecstatic having 0 competition.
Zenit_IIfx

Zenit_IIfx to malletto

Premium Member

to malletto
Still nothing inside of Purcellville. The little bit of fiber trunk on Main Street in Old Town remains dangling from the poles not terminated. They are really busy in the Round Hill area though.

Now that we elected a new mayor, I think I will ask in a letter the true story as to why the town is being denied an alternative to Comcast. (Its good the previous Mayor was voted out, and that his Vice-Mayor lost the election)

It makes 0 sense that VZ is building around the town, but ignoring the dense town itself. The CO that all the lucky surrounding areas get their shiny FIOS from is here, in the middle of town.
Zenit_IIfx

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Ok, a sign of very minor progress. VZ had s&n communications pulling fiber down the Bell System manhole system on Main Street near Giant. This could be for FIOS deployment in the 2 existing townhome subdivisions, as well as the trunk to Hamilton. (The telephone trunk to Hamilton is largely underground in the tunnel system)

The new townhome subdivision next to the Southern States in town has FIOS, as its new construction. I saw the GPON splitter, and the ONT's hanging on the side of the new homes. So a select few homes have access to FIOS within town limits - its a comically small subdivision.

Can anyone who posted earlier confirm they are getting FIOS out of the Purcellville CO? The fiber is allover Round Hill now. Still barely anything in town.

Those fat dangling fibers in old town STILL are dangling - nothing done.

At this rate Comcast will get DOCSIS3.1 deployed before VZ even manages to complete the replacement of the copper network in town.

To me its looking like VZ's intent is to only deploy in new subdivisions and ignore existing construction - which is a violation of the County Franchise.
Zenit_IIfx

Zenit_IIfx to malletto

Premium Member

to malletto

This is a current map of FIOS out of the Purcellville CO. Town is in Purple, FIOS is grey. No FIOS in town limits yet besides that one new small townhome subdivision.

VZ seems to have focused on areas that cant get DSL or Cable from Comcast. Some of the Round Hill footprint does overlap Comcast's system.

Still waiting for news from the town if we will ever see fiber within the limits or not...