Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to nunya

Re: Boxing in ducts (soffits) - Is it just me or is it tricky?

said by nunya:

I find it much easier to use steel studs instead of wood for boxing in pipes and ducts. No nailing and not a lot of force or pressure needed. They also give you a few more flexibility options you can't get with wood.
In fact, I can't really think of any good reason to use wood at all for basement framing. Door ways, maybe. That's about it.

Well, I am using steel studs for the length rails as they are perfectly straight.

said by lutful:

The original owner of our home did a decent job (I think) of hiding all the ductwork and pipes in the finished area of the basement using both false ceiling panels and lightweight drywall panels.

I never though about this until your post, but here are some pictures. Maybe you will get ideas to get your job done quickly.

From your picture, I can see that a lot of space is wasted around the duct. I can easily do something like that but I don't want to do so since the duct itself is already a good 15 inches wide. So I'd end up with a 27 inch wide soffit (if not slightly larger).

Anyway, today is a new day, I'm on vacation, and I feel quite fresh

I should be done today and start work on mud&tape