xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

1 edit
reply to hm

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

said by hm :

So far Acanac is the first with some new pricing out. It's listed on their forum, »community.acanac.com/acanac/. But, subject to change. Pricing to be confirmed & on their webpage March 1st.

Their plans are ridiculous. And what are peak hours, 5pm - 11pm? lol

$45.95/month for 8Mbps (during peak hours, 18Mbps off-peak, no term)

$49.95/month for 14Mbps (during peak hours, 28Mbps off-peak, no term)

(That's for Ontario only. ^^)

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
said by xsbell:

So, for 25% of the day, you're going to receive HALF the speed you're paying full price for.

Wow. No thanks.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
said by camelot:

said by xsbell:

So, for 25% of the day, you're going to receive HALF the speed you're paying full price for.

No you're not paying full price for it. By comparison TSI's prices for the same service is 58$ and 70$. You're getting a 20% discount.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to camelot
said by camelot:

So, for 25% of the day, you're going to receive HALF the speed....

'GOING TO' is the wrong choice of words.

Some nights NO REDUCTION would take place, and on others, it could be for as little as 10 minutes, and by as little as 1 Mbps reduced, or as much as half of your speed reduced for the whole peak period, but only to whatever degree it is neccessary.

You gotta read what they said one more time, before hitting the panic button.

And to the poster above you :

Figure that Acanac's packages are ridiculous ?

Just WAIT until March 1st or so, when many of the other Indie ISPs start to post THEIR plans too !

Theirs may well be worse !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to DSL_Ricer
said by DSL_Ricer:

No you're not paying full price for it. By comparison TSI's prices for the same service is 58$ and 70$. You're getting a 20% discount.

AND Acanac has no monthly usage limits.

But you didn't hear these 2 folks (or anyone else) complain about THAT, eh ?!

CRICKETS on THAT point !

Hey, it's tough - arguing with pessimists.

Actually, if we were paying (for example) for 14 Mbps and getting 28 for at least 3/4 of the hours (or more), that would be a bonus speed boost.

mario9999998

join:2000-08-25
Canada
reply to Davesnothere
It really depends on how Acanac overprovisions their service. If they aim to only have slightly more than enough capacity to handle peak load at the minimum speeds, then speed will be reduced for more of the 5hr period than not.

But an interesting idea though as long as they're good with network capacity management (and Rogers cooperates with upgrades in a timely fashion).

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by mario9999998:

It really depends on how Acanac overprovisions their service....

True, and it will vary from night to night, and minute by minute.

And the same will apply to some other providers who do the same as what you said anyway, and are not honest enough to explain their way of doing things up front.

And it's not just with Rogers.

Acanac says that they do this with their services thru Bell & Videotron too, and if they hook to Cogeco's AGG POI (as my inside info says they will soon), rest assured that they will also do it there - ESPECIALLY there, as GOUGEco charges them the highest $$ for circuit capacity of all 4 incumbents which I just mentioned.

And if doing this helps Acanac be more competitive in price, then their network management method might be a good thing.

PicklePicker

@videotron.ca
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by dillyhammer:

Ever wonder why many of the incumbents' usage meters are so horribly inaccurate in their favour?

Back when I was with Videotron, my Tomato usage was usually within 100MB of what Videotron was reporting with Tomato being ahead most of the time. That's a ~0.3% discrepancy, usually in my favor.

That's been my experience too, but rather when I was away on a trip out of country I noticed something like 50-meg (forget the exact value) a day on the usage tracker. I'll have to check that again sometime. But yeah in a month you could rack up 1-gig of usage just for keeping your videotron modem on (and only the modem).

I haven't ever been charged for 1-gig extra before, nor would I accept it due to this. But it's been a long time since I last shut everything off for a couple of weeks straight. Things could have change since then. Something for me to check one day to see how things changed... if they did.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

said by hm :

So far Acanac is the first with some new pricing out. It's listed on their forum, »community.acanac.com/acanac/. But, subject to change. Pricing to be confirmed & on their webpage March 1st.

You are taking what Acanac said out of context. That is the very worse case scenario that can happen. Not what happens.

It actually isn't that bad. And the prices are good. But it's not for me. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever went back to a bell service of any kind.

On the other hand though, since Acanac's IPTV is all on the same pipes, and since Acanac's IPTV is just launching and it's effects aren't really felt yet, it seems to me that their IPTV traffic will be paid for by those who don't use IPTV. So seems Acanac is shifting some of the costs of this unto others. That is, this non-internet traffic will affect your throttle time-range on the net.

But again, on the other hand, Acanac has zero usage limits.

It's an attractive package.

Also, peak time is as defined here: »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?. Not 5-11.

5-11 is happy hour where i'm from

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by hm :

It actually isn't that bad. And the prices are good. But it's not for me. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever went back to a bell service of any kind.

Those are cable prices, not DSL prices.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

Why are you viewing their plans in a negative light? Who are you trying to convince that it's a bad deal?

Compared to the other providers, those prices for even the speeds you've suggested they represent (which they don't) are in line. Teksavvy offers unlimited 14/1 for $48.95 a month. The only plan from start that is unlimited is their 6/.256 plan for $39.95, which if you're complaining about slow speeds I don't imagine is something you'd consider.

So, for $1 more per month ($5 less if you pay for a year) you get the same as the next competitor PLUS double the speed for the majority of the day PLUS a free VPN if you're at all concerned about recent court filings PLUS 100gb of online storage if you have files you want to backup off site.

Really, what is there to complain about in their pricing? Show me a better deal. I've been looking for about 2 years now and nothing comes close.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by hm :

Those are cable prices, not DSL prices.

Or Rogers

Either way, the prices are good. Even better on a year contract. It's 20$-something less expensive than TSI for unlimited. For many people the blip in speed means nothing as long as nothing else is affected or changed.

Samgee

canada

1 edit
reply to xsbell
duplicate

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to hm
said by hm :

It actually isn't that bad....

I only just got to thinking.

Mayhaps we got trolled.

In stereo, no less !

We should know better by now.

Or is it BKTTW again ?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to Samgee
said by Samgee:

Show me a better deal. I've been looking for about 2 years now and nothing comes close.

I'm not trying convince anyone that it's a bad deal, my gripe is calling it a 28Mbps plan when you're only going to get 18Mbps when you use it.

How about 35/3 for $49.95/month from Start, and they won't rate limit during peak hours. Sure it's only 250GB of usage, but honestly, how many people are going to go over that? Not too many.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Mayhaps we got trolled.

You got trolled.
I played along.

d_source

join:2011-01-18
reply to xsbell
To each their own. I'd prefer an unlimited and somewhat throttled internet vs an unthrottled but capped internet any day of the week. Even if I don't use 250GB per month today (which I don't) i don't want to have to worry about it tomorrow. And I feel the support needs to be there for unlimited internet more than speed increases, which for most needs are negligible (in today's internet) and I do a lot of video streaming on my current 18/0.5 connection. Most, if not all, buffering issues are on the server end, not my end.
Expand your moderator at work

Acanac Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

2 edits
reply to xsbell

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

I will not get into the max rate limit since it has already been discuses in the previous posts.

In regards to your question if 250GB is enough? In my opinion not even close. If your an over the top IPTV client you can easily expect to exceed 250GB. Over the last several months I have been consistently using over 1TB per month. This is with 3-4 -STB's in the house. Usually 3 since one is in debug mode.

d_source

join:2011-01-18
I agree 100%. We need to support unlimited more than anything else.

And just so everyone knows, I'm not with Acanac.

Samgee

canada
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

I'm not trying convince anyone that it's a bad deal, my gripe is calling it a 28Mbps plan when you're only going to get 18Mbps when you use it.

How about 35/3 for $49.95/month from Start, and they won't rate limit during peak hours. Sure it's only 250GB of usage, but honestly, how many people are going to go over that? Not too many.

You have no gripe since they are calling it exactly what it is. They aren't being misleading, and based on what I read in these forums and others many of the other providers users are seeing speed reductions during peak times, only they are paying for full speeds that aren't there.

Many suspect we may see some price changes or cap reductions from Start based on recent comments by it's operator who has said they were previously operating at a loss expecting pricing in the recent ruling to come down, when costs instead went up. For now if you are not worried about usage, then that is not a bad deal from start (still $6 more a month). We'll see if it lasts. It doesn't work for me because it's not unlimited, which is far more important to me than an extra 7 down.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Acanac Inc
said by Acanac Inc:

I will not get into the max rate limit since it has already been discuses in the previous posts.

In regards to your question if 250GB is enough? In my opinion not even close. If your an over the top IPTV client you can easily expect to exceed 250GB. Over the last several months I have been consistently using over 1TB per month. This is with 3-4 -STB's in the house. Usually 3 since one is in debug mode.

Why not offer a higher tier with no throttling for an additional fee?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by Guspaz:

it would make more sense to offer an higher tier, period.
Like a 60 Mbps cable rate-limited to 30 Mbps during peak hours.

It make no sense to throttle all day to 30 Mbps when you could offer 60 Mbps most of the time for the same price.

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Acanac Inc
said by Acanac Inc:

I've read this thread over, and I must ask has anyone mentioned that this rate limit that is in place does it also reduce lag spikes? I've been with Teksavvy DSL for years. But family and friends chose to go with Tek Cable and they seem to get lag spikes in the evenings. So for all us gamers out there that are gaming during prime time and NOT streaming I think this network management is PERFECT. On top of it you would enjoy a lower monthly cost to other indies for an unlimited account.

My connection is the 25/10 VDSL with Tek unlimited with static IP pretty $$. I have not seen any ripple or lag spikes but cable users sure seem to.

pick picking

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Why though? If people want that they can go elsewhere. There are other resellers. Why do they need to offer this?

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Acanac Inc:

Technically it's already offered through our parent company »www.distributel.ca/en/category.a···Internet

Our current plans are tailored at a specific subset of clientele. We can't be everything to everyone.

Acanac Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to dgass
said by dgass:

said by Acanac Inc:

I've read this thread over, and I must ask has anyone mentioned that this rate limit that is in place does it also reduce lag spikes? I've been with Teksavvy DSL for years. But family and friends chose to go with Tek Cable and they seem to get lag spikes in the evenings. So for all us gamers out there that are gaming during prime time and NOT streaming I think this network management is PERFECT. On top of it you would enjoy a lower monthly cost to other indies for an unlimited account.

My connection is the 25/10 VDSL with Tek unlimited with static IP pretty $$. I have not seen any ripple or lag spikes but cable users sure seem to.

This is one of biggest advantages of using Rate limiting over line saturation. Simply put if it's done correctly lag is avoided.

Now in regards to the Cable service. In some areas it has nothing to do with the independent ISP. The problem may be accuring even before it reaches the ISP's interconnects. If that is the case it's up-to to incumbent to resolve the issue.

rogerstv

@teksavvy.com
And that's why I just switched to Acanac, I hover between 250gb to 300 thanks to Netflix and kids in the house and don't want to look over my should in case there's a spike one month and I'm paying .50/gb Robbers charges .75/gb. This is the perfect storm to shake up the industry and Acanac became the logical choice. Sure I'm stuck with 1GB upload but this provider doesn't seem to have complaints for congestion /performance issues. Now I have a year to see what the industry does. This is a golden opportunity for bell to get more fiber out there and steal customers away from Robbers as well since DSL costs have been adjusted down. Notice the incumbants try to entice with new speeds while constantly reducing the caps because they don't want our money going to Netflix and Hulu south of the border. Robbers and BHELL created this problem themselves with constant price hikes, $70/month is ridiculous for watching commercials.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to hm
said by hm :

said by Davesnothere:

Mayhaps we got trolled.

You got trolled.
I played along.

Yeah, Yeah, right....

And if our friendly neighbourhood character feels so strongly against Acanac, they ought to change their screen name, and then hang on tight for when the OTHER Indie ISPs soon decide to announce similar network management policies.

Yes, coming soon to a DSLR thread near you....

I know of one other IISP who has posted that they are considering a similar stragety, so there MUST be others discussing it in their back rooms as we post here.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to d_source
said by d_source:

To each their own. I'd prefer an unlimited and somewhat throttled internet vs an unthrottled but capped internet any day of the week....

said by d_source:

....We need to support 'unlimited' [monthly usage] more than anything else....

While I personally do not share your feelings/needs (I'm OK with caps as long as the caps are not TOO stupidly low), I DO agree with those who say that if IISPs want to sell unlimited monthly usage, that they will have to the limit momentary bandwidth (aka the speed) for some of the time.

We simply cannot have everything at once here, and those who still think that we can just do not understand the dynamics of how it all works.

Sorry, but it's true, folks.

The only thing remaining to be decided is just how much our IISPs feel that they will need to compromise one factor to achieve another, and which factor it is that each figures to be more important to them and their customers.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.