Search similar:

uniqs
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

2 edits

LanAdmin to Acanac20Mbps

to Acanac20Mbps

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

said by Acanac20Mbps :

Quebec Cable rate already high compare to Ontario. Now, they increase $3 dollars compare to the older rate for 30Mbps. I hope Acanac will introduce the 20Mbps plan and the price in the middle between the 10Mbps and 30Mbps. A lot of people don't really need the high speed 30Mbps. 20Mbps is good enough and they can save $10 / month.

That would be great.
Velcom just did it but limited to 300GB/month:
8Mbps/40$, 20Mbps/51$, 30Mbps/60$
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to hm

to hm
Guys are Distributel's rates on their web page for cable taking into consideration what the CBB ruling meant for them or are there changes coming from them soon too ?

I am interested in their 28 Mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL with unlimited for under $50.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah I want to do know too as I much change them to them soon.
d_source
join:2011-01-18

d_source to DeViLzzz

to DeViLzzz
I've been with Distributel for over a year. Those are the same rates prior to the CBB ruling. Hopefully they won't change or will change very little. I'm fine with my current speeds and rate (I'm on cable 18). Bigger better faster isn't a priority with me. Cheaper/unlimited is. Distributel is still non-aggregated BTW.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

What does non-aggregated mean ?

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

GreenEnvy22

Aggregated providers hook into a single point to access all of Rogers/Cogeco/Videotron's cable network. It's the way going forward.

Non-aggregated have to hook into each regional POI (connection hub), so to offer service in a new city, the indies have to actually deploy equipment there. This is how cable access was originally done, but it's being phased out.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by GreenEnvy22:

Non-aggregated have to hook into each regional POI (connection hub), so to offer service in a new city, the indies have to actually deploy equipment there. This is how cable access was originally done, but it's being phased out.

AFAIK, Rogers is the only one who has/had such a heavily fragmented POI arrangement to the point that even individual cities could end up split into multiple POIs.

Videotron switched to aggregated before the UBB/CBB thing even began. Back then, almost nobody knew TPIA even existed and had not much of a reason to bother with it since wholesale prices and caps were carbon copies of Videotron's own. For most intents and purposes, you could say Videotron has never been non-aggregated since they had almost no wholesale subscribers prior to that.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by InvalidError:

they had almost no wholesale subscribers prior to that.

There were a few. 3men@work is one of them. This, if i'm not mistaken, is what Ebox used to resell (Ebox was a reseller of a wholesaler up until a couple of years ago). I think you can likely use search in this forum to see this.

3men@work wasn't the only ones.
Expand your moderator at work
hm

hm to Canaca

Anon

to Canaca

Paul, Maybe you mentioned this already but a quick search doesn't show it.

In regards to the new Videotron 10-meg upload rolling out for you in a month or so....

With rate-limiting at your peak time, will you also rate-limit upload speeds? If so, to what?

RateLimit
@distributel.net

RateLimit

Anon

said by hm :

In regards to the new Videotron 10-meg upload rolling out for you in a month or so....

With rate-limiting at your peak time, will you also rate-limit upload speeds? If so, to what?

I think Paul said Acanac only have to rate limit to make sure the pipe connect to Videotron doesn't saturate/congestion. From the graph, the upload (green color) is way too low and it is impossible to have a congestion on upload. Therefore there is no need to rate limit for upload. He even suggested other ISPs shouldn't count the upload usage into the total bandwidth usage because it is free.

»/r0/do ··· raph.png
quote:
Why do some ISP's charge for both download and upload usage? These are full duplex connections. We don't pay any extra for the upload side. Assuming most ISP's are just like us they are in no danger of ever saturating the upload side of the line based on the MTRG graph above.
»Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

LanAdmin to hm

to hm
said by hm :

According to their site they could have on the Videotron cable.
»www.acanac.ca/cable.html

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to RateLimit

Anon

to RateLimit
@RateLimit,
Yeah I recall that quote as well, but as LanAdmin points out, their webpage (which I didn't notice till he mentioned it here) already shows upload rate-limiting from 3-meg to 2-meg.

Wonder if they will rate-limit the new upload speed from 10-meg to 2-meg?

Anyhow, I think this answered my question.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
Many IISPs don't charge for upload. Start and TekSavvy don't count it, for example.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to hm

Premium Member

to hm
All the Interventions to the R&V are in.

Only read Vaxination's so far, but there's a funny quote:
quote:
26. It is important to note that the 40% markup is already a compromise to Bell Canada to make it stop crying to the Governor in Council. It should covet this higher markup instead of asking for more, especially when it refuses to use that higher markup to fix the end-of-line incompatible and discontinued Stinger DSLAMs it probably got on eBay at a good discount

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm

I don't know, I get the feeling that such language will cause the CRTC to not take the rest of the filing seriously.
InvalidError

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I don't know, I get the feeling that such language will cause the CRTC to not take the rest of the filing seriously.

I agree. As frustrating as it may be, credibility and patience quickly go down the drain when you start openly antagonizing those you want to get heard by. It may make for an amusing read for the general public but for officials and incumbents, it will only increase tensions and make things more difficult than they already were.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to hm

to hm

I think JF is trying to make a point..

that some of you guys are jumping the gun.

I think his point is that bell is making so much money from everyone and they are using cheap arse equipment.. good for him.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
Stingers are their existing ADSL2+ infrastructure that they applied software updates to in order to give them VDSL2 capabilities. It turns out that the hardware isn't quite there.

It's not necessarily a matter of them using cheaper equipment, it's a matter of them trying to get more use out of existing equipment. It's possible that many of us on stingers would still be limited to ADSL2+ if Bell didn't have any stingers. As in, crappy VDSL2 is better than no VDSL2.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to LastDon

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

I think his point is that bell is making so much money from everyone and they are using cheap arse equipment.. good for him.

I suspect Bell didn't get any bargains on the Stingers. The problem is they bought them before the VDSL card was developed. They halted their deployment during the whole Teachers episode, the product got discontinued, and they got stuck with a warehouse full of them.

For their own customers, they're willing to work around the issues - but when they have to provide the service to other ISPs, it makes life very difficult. They really should be looking at rip and replace options. The Stingers are dead ends, and probably end up costing them huge amounts in operational inefficiencies.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

if they would be forced to upgrade all the stingers to 7330's or whatever, their costs would go up and they would simply pass that cost down to the ISPs.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by jmck:

if they would be forced to upgrade all the stingers to 7330's or whatever, their costs would go up and they would simply pass that cost down to the ISPs.

Specially if the CRTC is the one ordering them to do so for for wholesale's sake. Wholesale would likely have to eat the bulk of those premature replacement costs.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to hm

Premium Member

to hm

I do believe that's one of the reasons why the CRTC is asking questions as to the # of Stingers in the Bell network, the # of non-Stingers, and the # of customers on each type of equipment, and the avg life remaining on the Stingers. The CRTC seem to be seriously considering ordering Bell to replace them. Or at least are looking into the costs to see if its feasible.

EDIT:
quote:
I don't think CRTC staff will discount JF's remarks just because he expresses them wittily. CRTC staff are capable of appreciating humour too.
Glad to hear that.