spc
Search similar:

uniqs

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to bt

to bt

Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

said by bt:

said by LastDon:

time for a stop sell on cable

and that might wake up the cable co. as they do make some serious change on wholesale.

None of them would offer wholesale if they weren't required to do so.

But seeing that those who could will be switching to DSL wont it make The Cable co's want to negotiate the prices a bit.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by eweazel:

said by bt:

But seeing that those who could will be switching to DSL wont it make The Cable co's want to negotiate the prices a bit.

History disagrees. None of them wanted to be competitive with GAS DSL service for 10+ years...

Hrmm
@electronicbox.net

Hrmm to eweazel

Anon

to eweazel
What a joke the CRTC is.
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by TypeS:

They could, it just won't be as cheap as they or their customers would have liked.

30Mbps * $25.56/Mbps + $24.98 access = $791.78/mo just for the portion to Cogeco. That doesn't include transport, transit, support, billing, offices, equipment ....

Thats insane, its almost cheaper to lease the customer a dedicated 10Mbps Fibre with SLA.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by eweazel:

said by bt:

History disagrees. None of them wanted to be competitive with GAS DSL service for 10+ years...

Thats true, but Rogers was not bleeding Cable Subscribers the way they are now, and if people could get VDSL at a savings there will be more bleeding on their part. I for cancelled cable TV, and was on Cable internet, before switching back over to DSL after the DNS problem last Christmas. They have lost me completely and I am sure there might be others. But again there is no true competition anyway.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by TypeS:

They could, it just won't be as cheap as they or their customers would have liked.

30Mbps * $25.56/Mbps + $24.98 access = $791.78/mo just for the portion to Cogeco. That doesn't include transport, transit, support, billing, offices, equipment ....

I did say it wouldn't be cheap , maybe I should emphasized we all expected to be a lot cheaper than it was.

So, question for you rocca, at what price point on a package would it make sense to sell some of the higher tiers with unlimited or at least a decent cap like 400-500GB? I can eat up a rate hike from TPIA so long as I can keep using my internet connection and not pay exorbitant prices like @ Rogers. Before the unlimited add on, I'd be looking at $170+/month for defacto unlimited on 35/3 from Rogers.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Unlimited. LOL.

I'd bet dollars to donuts rocca is driving around town right now buying up all the maximum strength Tums.

The uncontrollable laughter you hear in the background there?

That's Cogeco.

It's little brown envelope day at the CRTC offices today. That would be the snickering.

Consumers in Canada just caught it up the tail pipe.

Mike

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to LastDon

Anon

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

I think DSL prices will remain the same to cover the cost of cable cost .. that is what i think!

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to hm

to hm
The lands of Mordor are crumbling and Saurons reign of terror is weakening, soon we will have competition and lower prices to brighten the land for all of our days. lol

The Big guys are going to have to enhance their game and compete for once .
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to hm

to hm
said by hm :

said by LastDon:

I think DSL prices will remain the same to cover the cost of cable cost .. that is what i think!

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.

Will if they do that, it will be unfair to the DSL users paying costs for cable users.

If the rates go up a lot for users... and I had a company I would just stick to what I had before... DSL and scrap cable for new installs..

But on the other hand how will the rates compare vs the Cable Co's?

that is what we don't know..

example ... if Start offers internet for 52$ and offers 250GB, while rogers offers the same TIER for 52$ and only 100GB... I'd rather go with start ..

It all depends I guess.

and In reality, any fees returned back from BELL, will go to pay for Cable, So the Indies might not have to pay a huge huge chunk.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm to hm

Anon

to hm
I like the CRTC chairman's quote:

"Large and small independent service providers now have the certainty they need to continue offering Canadians a choice of innovative and competitive services," said Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman of the CRTC.

The CRTC expects, however, that the final wholesale rates will have a favourable impact on prices charged in the competitive retail market.

Now I have a question for Ebox, Start and Teksavvy.

Dear Marc, Rocca and JP:
Will I see anything favourable and competitive? If so, when should I expect a favourable price impact and alternative to Videotron? Because as is, I don't see it.

Anxiously waiting for your reply so I can finally have a new and competitive ISP besides videotron for 60-meg (w/ the bundle discounts, 10$ unlimited, and retention offer of 30$ off everything)

ty

Boy-o-boy I can't wait.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Hm :

"Large and small independent service providers now have the certainty they need to continue offering Canadians a choice of innovative and competitive services," said Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman of the CRTC.

The CRTC expects, however, that the final wholesale rates will have a favourable impact on prices charged in the competitive retail market.

Dear Marc, Rocca and JP:
Will I see anything favourable and competitive? If so, when should I expect a favourable price impact and alternative to Videotron? Because as is, I don't see it.

Anxiously waiting for your reply so I can finally have a new and competitive ISP besides videotron for 60-meg (w/ the bundle discounts, 10$ unlimited, and retention offer of 30$ off everything)

ty

Boy-o-boy I can't wait.

When you don't get anything competitive, write Blais and thank him for this innovative and competitive decision on his watch.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

So, question for you rocca, at what price point on a package would it make sense to sell some of the higher tiers with unlimited or at least a decent cap like 400-500GB?

It's hard to say. With current usage ratios as more people move to streaming and higher capacity feeds, it's roughly a 100GB to 1Mbps conversion, so each 100GB costs $10-$25 depending on who the carrier is, plus transport/transit/etc... still requires much calculation and deliberation. It's pretty hard to swallow the costs the carriers presented and then the guaranteed markup (profit margin) of 40% on top of those already questionable numbers.
lbonnell
join:2013-02-21

lbonnell

so for each 100mbps you are saying it is approx 10,000gb of usage?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Hm :

Dear Marc, Rocca and JP:

ty

Boy-o-boy I can't wait.

When you don't get anything competitive, write Blais and thank him for this innovative and competitive decision on his watch.

I fully plan to. Just waiting for a reply from the indie's I can toss in his face.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to hm

Premium Member

to hm
so I guess there goes all hope of Start offering unlimited then?
Crashrun2003
join:2013-02-10

Crashrun2003

Basically yes. Unless you wanna pay $700+

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

It's hard to say. With current usage ratios as more people move to streaming and higher capacity feeds, it's roughly a 100GB to 1Mbps conversion, so each 100GB costs $10-$25 depending on who the carrier is, plus transport/transit/etc... still requires much calculation and deliberation. It's pretty hard to swallow the costs the carriers presented and then the guaranteed markup (profit margin) of 40% on top of those already questionable numbers.

Damn that's pretty steep without all other costs. Well hopefully you and the rest of the TPIA's will figure your pricing schemes out. Personally I will go with the provider that offers a high data cap or unlimited over a cheaper rate with lower cap. I hope we can see prices sometime soon, Rogers' 35/3 @ $94 with unlimited option is sort of appealing atm but I will wait until Start & TekSavvy post their aggregate pricings.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to lbonnell

Premium Member

to lbonnell
said by lbonnell:

so for each 100mbps you are saying it is approx 10,000gb of usage?

At peak, in practice, yes.

Obviously 100Mbps is capable of much higher usage when sustained, but based on current peak to monthly usage ratios, yes that's about right although not sure where you're going with that particular question since generally you want to calculate in the other direction, ie 100GB = 1Mbps average impact on peak * per Mbps rate = capacity cost.

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz to hm

to hm
What kills the DSL deal is the ubiqutous dryloop fee, a perennial fixed cost addition that serves no purpose but makes DSL cost as much as cable despite its now 2x cheaper capacity...

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Crashrun2003

Premium Member

to Crashrun2003
sucks balls DSL is just not an option in my area. Guess I'll keep over paying rogers the bastards.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to hm

Premium Member

to hm
said by hm :

*shrug* - So much for the new CRTC chair. He tossed a few carrots and then kicked everyone in the nuts.

Looks like SOMEBODY found out how Blais likes his eggs prepared, and then went and bought him BREAKFAST !

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yeah ...must be since he can't golf up here right now!
Dreamwiser3
join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON

Dreamwiser3 to hm

to hm
I predict CEOs of Start,TekSavvy & Acanac will give each other a call right after the CRTC decision,will discuss between them what direction they should take together. Let's not forget they went through the the BEND OVER stage together. Why should they reduce prices or increase caps? Keep $$$ everything profits amongst them selfs. Just my opinion. JUST WAIT AND SEE!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Dreamwiser3:

I predict CEOs of Start,TekSavvy & Acanac will give each other a call right after the CRTC decision,will discuss between them what direction they should take together. Let's not forget they went through the the BEND OVER stage together. Why should they reduce prices or increase caps? Keep $$$ everything profits amongst them selfs. Just my opinion. JUST WAIT AND SEE!

Profit? I must have read a different ruling than you did. My costs just went up about 12% on my biggest supplier today along with a bill for a year of retroactive increases.
Dreamwiser3
join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON

Dreamwiser3

thought so. turn the screws rocca.
Dreamwiser3

Dreamwiser3 to hm

to hm
Is BELL still offering unlimited? START.CA by the leaders comments went down the drain. Rocca,have a couple of more drinks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Dreamwiser3

Premium Member

to Dreamwiser3
said by Dreamwiser3:

thought so. turn the screws rocca.

Mmmmkay.

1. Old price is $12,510/Gbps, new price is $14,000/Gbps.
2. ?
3. Profit!

ReGenesis
@bell.ca

ReGenesis to hm

Anon

to hm
I don't understand why the CRTC has allowed different providers to charge different amounts for speed. If I am reading this right, a 100 Mbps connection with RCP is $1,251 a month, with Cogeco it is $2,695 and with MTS it is $281???

That is quite a wide variance and does not make sense to me why they would not standardize it across the board???

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Dreamwiser3

Anon

to Dreamwiser3
Videotron announced no more caps for Business internet. Wonder if that's a shot at Bell-Wholesale for now having lower business internet prices. hmm
»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html