Police
Ammunition
Guns

over

education
welfare

I am all for it!

Schools should be 100% non government activities.. 100%

YOU the parent have a rugrat, then YOU THE PARENT pay for the education of your RUGRAT. Period.

You have the right to have an education, yes... but only so long as you PAY FOR IT! Or Homeschool, either way..

I have the right NOT TO PAY FOR YOUR rugrat!

I have no problem with the local village/township/borough/city/county running a school district so long as those who attend it PAY FOR IT 100%.. 10,000 tax payers does not equal 10K school tax payers.. If I don't have rugrats then I don't need to pay for that! Your carnal activities have consequences, PAY UP!

No, don't bother with this or that study about how education keeps the deliquinets off the prison route, or better soceity etc.. HOGWASH!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

While I'm no fan of welfare, public education leads to economic growth. An educated public is a productive public, and the taxes paid by educated workers more than pay for the government investment in their education.

The key is compelling kids to learn...you don't move up in grade until you pass a standardized exam. If you are 15 and can't read...you are 18 and still in 3rd grade. Make grade inflation a crime. Outlaw the teacher unions so that teaching is a true meritocracy and the best teachers make the biggest money (they can bargain for pay and benefits but can be fired at will by the district). Poor performing teachers have to go through additional training or they are canned and replaced.

Here in California, there no shortage of teacher applicants, fully credentialed, but because of the teacher unions, districts can't can bad teachers and make room for new ones.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
Hahaha, you actually want an uneducated lower class with no welfare but with the right to own firearms? Do you have any clue what a society like that would look like? The economy that you profit from would turn to shit very quickly.

How about we make tax spending decisions open to the people? You direct your taxes to defense, I will direct mine to education.
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
While I agree with you on the need for good teachers (and to get rid of bad ones), the problem goes much deeper than a simple 'it's the union's fault'.

Districts have a period where they get to decide if a teacher is 'good' or not. They can be fired before they are tenured if they really are no good. The problem is that districts don't make these decisions based on the quality of education... they make them on $$$. A 'bad' teacher is one that makes the most money or is about to retire with a big pension. THOSE are the 'bad' teachers the districts want to get rid of. If they had their way, there would be no experienced teachers at all since they could constantly hire new young teachers at minimum pay. That is why teachers stay on during their tenure period (unless they are major screw-ups) because the districts don't want to loose cheap bodies in the classroom; they couldn't care less about the quality of education they are giving.

True grade inflation should be criminal but standardized testing is not the way to accomplish that. When you tie teacher evaluations to the standardized tests grade inflation is exactly what you will get... along with teaching to the test and a watered-down education. There is definitely a need for independent evaluation of the student's learning but a standard test is an inefficient way to accomplish that.

Being 15 and unable to read is a very common problem actually... not because of bad teachers but because of immigration. An immigrant from Germany who can't speak a word of English is expected to pass the exact same standard tests as all the other kids in his/her grade level. What do you think happens when you tie that kid's grades to the teachers' evaluations?