Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to m8trix

Premium Member

to m8trix

Re: data cap increase listed on cox site

For once I wish they would actually tell us why they raised them to a specific amount.

Or, why the highest catagory doesn't get raised while others do get raised.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well I just hope cox is ready when the launches of PS4, and the xbox 720 come out. Because watching Sony talk about the launch of the PS4 at the end of the year. It seems more games will be offered to download probably same day as its released on disc. Also they are supposed to use a cloud based service, to enable customer's to play older PS3/PS2/PS1 games threw streaming them. I know not everyone will like the digital download's to there system, instead of a hard copy on a disc. But me personally I will prefer digital download copy, if games are available same day as disc release, which will mean bandwidth usage will only be higher, with next gen console's.
thedunlap
join:2005-01-31
Naples, FL

thedunlap

I received a phone call and email from Cox for 5/12 months in 2012 for going over my Ultimate cap. I have gone over it by quite a bit in 2013 and have yet to receive a call. Maybe they decided to stop harassing me as they don't offer a higher tier.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Oh forgot to mention, also Sony seems big on making live streaming a big part of PS4. Which will enable lot's of people to live stream what there playing, and also are able to watch there friend's play there games live, even if you don't own the game your friend is playing. I know live streaming isn't something new, as sites like Ustream, Twitch.tv, and etc are already big on it. But it does require equipment to do so, and now Sony including this ability to stream. There will be more people taking advantage of such service's. I am simply implying bandwidth is gonna be a big part of these next gen console's. So cox, and other ISP's better be getting prepared for this. Because if they thought service's like Netflix, was already bad on them, just wait.
lilstone87

lilstone87 to thedunlap

to thedunlap
said by thedunlap:

I received a phone call and email from Cox for 5/12 months in 2012 for going over my Ultimate cap. I have gone over it by quite a bit in 2013 and have yet to receive a call. Maybe they decided to stop harassing me as they don't offer a higher tier.

If I was to go over, and receive such a call. I would tell them the same thing already being on there highest residential Ultimate tier, and if they even tried to mention a business connection I would just laugh.

floridaguy
@cox.net

floridaguy

Anon

Decided to check my totals.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

terrible. Cox will cut your connection and ban you for good till you change your behavior in the way.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned)

said by ikyuaoki:

terrible. Cox will cut your connection and ban you for good till you change your behavior in the way.

You know what i have to say about this Cox needs to treat its Customers better then they have or these Customers can Disconnect their Cable service and go DSL,Time Warner found out the hard way.

Cox Cable treated my sister like Garbage when she called up Customer service so she hung up, and now shes going to Directv.
$130 Customer you lost cox, me come may or earlier my TV Disconnect.Going Directv!!!!

Cheaper!!!!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to ikyuaoki

Premium Member

to ikyuaoki
If the customer is on Ultimate, Cox does not care about overages for the simple fact that Ultimate customers are high ARPU customers. Delivering that additional 100GB doesn't cost Cox very much, yet we see they got the money anyway in May, Aug in Oct. I don't know about floridaguy but I'm a 13 year triple play customer with a monthly bill that routinely tops $265 a month and Cox isn't going do anything to piss me off and lose $3000 a year...so they can what...save $20 in bandwidth charges? No way. They're more than happy to give me 600+GB/mo and take my $265.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

I see. that is way too much than what i am paying for. I have 600GB cap a month as the cox takes my money that is 136 dollars a month it is reasonable afford than what you are paying for.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

That $136 is more than my Ultimate plan and Cox doesn't enforce the cap. $265 is for CATV, VoCABLE and Ultimate.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

said by skeechan:

That $136 is more than my Ultimate plan and Cox doesn't enforce the cap. $265 is for CATV, VoCABLE and Ultimate.

Ok, here's comparsion:

my 136 dollars x 12 months is 1632 dollars a year

your 265 dollars x 12 months is 3180 dollars a year

that is estimated where you are paying too much than what you are paying if you choosed the ultimate standalone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Again, the $265 includes my VoCABLE phone bill and CATV service, not just Ultimate.

Ultimate alone is $100/mo, $1200 a year plus tax and whatever franchise fees Cox charges on standalone HSI. Your bonded setup is 30% more expensive (about $400 a year) than Ultimate.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

said by skeechan:

Ultimate alone is $1200 a year plus tax and whatever franchise fees Cox charges on standalone HSI. Your bonded setup is 30% more expensive (about $400 a year) than Ultimate.

Well, the taxes does not included on my bill in kansas. yea, my bonded setup is sure more expensive but it is justified for jitter latency performance.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

A bonded Cox HSI connection doesn't improve jitter or latency. Whatever is within Cox's network that will cause latency on one of your Premiere plans will cause it on the other.

Meanwhile I see 6ms latency, I don't see how you are going to get better than that.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

it is your option. i finds that jitter latency been improves the pressure of bandwidth pipes been eased by running the load balancing randomized that been added in the registry editor settings.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

3 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

It's not opinion. Your services are from the came company running through the same last mile, they're going to take the same routes. You aren't going to see any improvement in latency or jitter unless you have 2 DIFFERENT companies providing your service AND your load balancer somehow balances based on latency and jitter and not traffic like every other balancer does.

EDIT - I just rant a jitter test at Speedtest and had a jitter of 2ms and after testing again 1ms. And this is at 4:41PM local time while I'm running utorrent in the background. Bonded connections from the same provider doesn't help.

floridaguy
@cox.net

floridaguy

Anon

Skeechan is correct.