how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wilton

@cogentco.com

shaperprobe results far better than speedtests

Hi
I had extreme 105 installed and I thought I had not been getting my advertised speeds. For weeks all of my speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net results showed download speeds of 50-60mbps and upload speeds of 10mbps. Last night I discovered shaperprobe and did a couple of tests. The results of that suggest 100mbps down and 20mbps up.

Can anyone explain why speed tests from a number of different sites including comcasts own site consistantly show a slower speed than the shaperprobe?

These were my shaperprobe results:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21111 Kbps.
Downstream: 147154 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 20682 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 108826 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
A lot of test weren't designed to deal with current high speeds, which were unthought of at home just a few years ago.
Shaper probe being a university research project was planned around full internet and internet 2 speeds,
further it measures and display both the boosted rate as well as the shaped rate rather than the limited time sample averaging of the typical commercial test.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to wilton
I find shaperprobe test results to be fairly consistent from one time to the next and from one day to the next, with minimal variation in the reported results.

I find the speedtest results to vary all over the place from one invocation to the next, even when the speedtests are done back to back. I have 16mbps download, so that's not too fast.

I've done a speedtest, followed immediately by a shaperprobe test, then repeated the two again. The shaperprobe test results were consistent, the speedtest results varied by nearly 40%.

I have no idea why the inconsistency in the speedtest results, especially in light of the wide usage of that test. I can only surmise that it might have something to do with relying on a Flash-based browser plugin for the testing engine.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to wilton
Take note when checking for your advertised speeds. Never rely on speed tests. Trust 2 things:

1) Shaper Probe

2) Run your own speed tests by downloading several files from known fast servers. That will definitely max out even 105/20

Other then that, take whatever any other speed test or site tells you with a grain of salt.

wilton

@cogentco.com
reply to wilton
Thanks for your responses. So these shaperprobe results are fairly convincing proof that I am getting close to 105 up and 20 down?

Also I'm not sure how how to run my own speed tests by downloading several files from known fast servers. Could you give me an example of how to do that and how to determine the results?

Thank you all so much, really really helpful.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
said by wilton :

..I am getting close to 105 up and 20 down?

108 down and 20 up (I'm assuming a typo) but yes it looks like full speed ahead.
( And Damn the torpedos!)

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to wilton
said by wilton :

Also I'm not sure how how to run my own speed tests by downloading several files from known fast servers. Could you give me an example of how to do that and how to determine the results?

Start with a download manager application. You can Google for them.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by EG:

said by wilton :

Start with a download manager application. You can Google for them.

I personally like IDM by Tonec.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to wilton
said by wilton :

Thanks for your responses. So these shaperprobe results are fairly convincing proof that I am getting close to 105 up and 20 down?

Thank you all so much, really really helpful.

I would say it's very convincing. 105/20 is actually set for 116/22 to ensure you actually get closer to the 105/20 you are sold. If you're lucky and your system is really good like mine, you'll either hit your cap or get damn near to it. And at 108/20, I'd say you're golden.

See here: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

As for a good download manager, I use Flashget 3.7. Here: »www.flashget.com/index_en.html

As for determining the results of your downloads, I use this: »easycalculation.com/bandwidth-calculator.php

105 down is 13.125MB a second. So if you download a large file from a known, fast server that can put out 100 megs and it reads 13 or more MB a second, you're getting what you pay for.

Hope that puts to rest any questions you've had. Feel free to come back if you need any more help or to post results.

wilton

@cogentco.com
Thanks everyone, great forum.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
You're very welcome. Also, you might want to think about registering for the site. It'll be easier to track replies and other things. It's free as well.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to wilton
said by wilton :

Hi
I had extreme 105 installed and I thought I had not been getting my advertised speeds. For weeks all of my speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net results showed download speeds of 50-60mbps and upload speeds of 10mbps. Last night I discovered shaperprobe and did a couple of tests. The results of that suggest 100mbps down and 20mbps up.

Can anyone explain why speed tests from a number of different sites including comcasts own site consistantly show a slower speed than the shaperprobe?

These were my shaperprobe results:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 21111 Kbps.
Downstream: 147154 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

You can also try »speedof.me/ which is an HTML5 protocol test site. It does not rely on Java or Flash for the test...just your browser. Just another option to try. I also use ShaperProbe which I also find to be very consistent.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by YukonHawk:

You can also try »speedof.me/ which is an HTML5 protocol test site. It does not rely on Java or Flash for the test...just your browser.

FWIW, that site has been giving me bogus results for the two weeks that I have been trying it now and I've seen some other posts here indicating the same. Just sayin'. YMMV.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
I hear ya...I guess mileage will vary. It's been good here and the readings have been pretty consistent. But I agree with the group that ShaperProbe gives "truer" results.

Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to wilton
Hi All,
The last few times that I tried to perform a test using their software, I keep receiving the " All of our server's are busy' notice. And the only point of contact that shows on their site is this:
Contact
Partha Kanuparthy, partha at cc gatech edu
I don't know what I'm doing wrong , but I can't seem to get the e-mail address corrected so I can send a message. I know the 'at' should be replaced with '@' .
David

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Davy49:

Hi All,
The last few times that I tried to perform a test using their software, I keep receiving the " All of our server's are busy' notice. And the only point of contact that shows on their site is this:
Contact
Partha Kanuparthy, partha at cc gatech edu
I don't know what I'm doing wrong , but I can't seem to get the e-mail address corrected so I can send a message. I know the 'at' should be replaced with '@' .
David

partha at cc.gatech.edu be sure to eliminate all spaces. I have contacted him in the past.

Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to wilton
Hello,
Once again today I tried to perform this test, and once again I received the notice of " All servers are busy, please try again later ". Has anyone else been receiving the same notice ?
Thanks,
David

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Hey Davy...I just tried it and it went through fine. Have you tried trashing the version you have and reloading it from the site and trying it again? Hope it works out for you.

mrimp

join:2011-11-27
Homestead, FL
So I take this is an attempt to throttle 94289 down to 55589 seeing I have the extreme 50..

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.210.239.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 9979 Kbps.
Downstream: 94829 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 9781 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 15116-15335 KB; Shaping rate: 55589 Kbps.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by mrimp:

So I take this is an attempt to throttle 94289 down to 55589 seeing I have the extreme 50..

DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.210.239.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 9979 Kbps.
Downstream: 94829 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 9781 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 15116-15335 KB; Shaping rate: 55589 Kbps.

If you've been paying for Extreme 50, after the upgrade, you'll be bumped to 105/20

mrimp

join:2011-11-27
Homestead, FL
So there about to bump me up to 105 oh so happy

Thx

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by mrimp:

So there about to bump me up to 105 oh so happy

Thx

Yep! In the NE market, Blast went from 25/4 to 50/10+ those that had 50/10 and were paying extra for it, were bumped up to 105/20. And those that had 105/20 got a price decrease to what Extreme 50 was as the Extreme 105 package went away. (Why keep 2 105/20 packages, ya know?)

Now, there are rumblings in markets like Chicago of a 200 package and them not getting rid of the 2nd 105/20 package for some reason. Could be because they're going to upgrade it. At 200 a month and 250 install, I'd demand it.

Enjoy your soon to be new speeds.