Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Unfortunately, while CBB costs may be 10x+ what they should be, most people expect the CRTC to drop them by at most 3x.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

said by Guspaz:

Unfortunately, while CBB costs may be 10x+ what they should be, most people expect the CRTC to drop them by at most 3x.

Baby steps... 3 weeks ago nobody thought the incumbents would offer unlimited ever.

Our situation is not ideal, but it is looking to be WAY better than it was 2 years ago
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

If they did a 3x drop what would the rate end up being in $/gbps say in Rogers land?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by bbhog:

If they did a 3x drop what would the rate end up being in $/gbps say in Rogers land?

I was approximating; the expectation is that none of the rates will go below $8k/gigabit
Satya
join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON

Satya

8000 is not cheap :O
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

Baby steps... 3 weeks ago nobody thought the incumbents would offer unlimited ever.

Our situation is not ideal, but it is looking to be WAY better than it was 2 years ago

Baby steps my ass.

If the CRTC cuts prices to 1/3 what they are today, when in fact they should be cut by 90%, do you really think they'll entertain an R&V from CNOC for the unreduced amount before, say, 2017 by the time a decision is rendered? In the interim, the incumbents will still be laughing all the way to the bank.
Satya
join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON

Satya

yeap that ^__^

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Satya

MVM

to Satya
said by Satya:

8000 is not cheap :O

No, but it's better than the $18,000-24,000 per gigabit in the current CBB rates...

Current pricing almost makes it cheaper for indies to build their own aggregation network with leased fiber lines.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I seriously doubt all the capacity-dependent infrastructure between individual subscribers and aggregated POIs costs 10X less than current rates when fully separated from invariant costs.

Only a few more hours to go before we see who made the most accurate guess.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Baby steps my ass.

If the CRTC cuts prices to 1/3 what they are today, when in fact they should be cut by 90%, do you really think they'll entertain an R&V from CNOC for the unreduced amount before, say, 2017 by the time a decision is rendered? In the interim, the incumbents will still be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm not saying I endorse it. The system has been this way for decades, short of violence in the streets it will not change too drastically overnight.

CBB was the start, hopefully this announcement proves me wrong (I'm sure it will be good news, hopefully GREAT news).

Regardless it is looking like unlimited internet will be viable for most Canadians, something that was not easily achievable only 1 years ago