WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36
reply to mwoodj

Re: IP Adress Changed - places me in another State

said by mwoodj:

Tonight my connection went down. When I checked on the modem it appeared to be resetting. After it finished my connection still wasn't working so I unplugged it for 30 seconds and let it reset again. The modem appeared to be connected and ready but my connection still wasn't working. At that point I logged into my DD-WRT router and released/renewed my dhcp lease. I got a new IP address which is something that hasn't happened in years. The strange thing is that when I go to speedtest.net it shows me as being located in Georgia when I'm in Huntsville, AL. The change was from the subnet I've been on for a long time (24.96.133.*) to one I have never seen before (24.42.200.*). I have some domain names that revolve to my address so it is somewhat inconvenient when my IP address changes. Given the fact that the address doesn't seem to be an address normally assigned in Huntsville I don't want to change the dns settings for those names until I know what is going on. If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it.

This was caused by the system upgrades going on in many markets. The Huntsville area market just completed this upgrade. Releasing and renewing your IP address should resolve any IP related issues you might be having.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

mwoodj

join:2001-10-27
Madison, AL

1 edit
Thanks for the response. I cycled both the modem and the router (about 1 minute without power.) I allowed the modem to come fully online before plugging the router back in. I still pulled the same IP. I manually released and renewed but no change.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36
said by mwoodj:

Thanks for the response. I cycled both the modem and the router (about 1 minute without power.) I allowed the modem to come fully online before plugging the router back in. I still pulled the same IP. I manually released and renewed but no change.

I was referring to the initial time you used the connection after the upgrades, I'm sorry for the vagueness. If you're still having an issue, feel free to send me a private message with your modem CMAC address and I can try and take a look at it. I have access to a lot of the Knology systems at this point, but not the billing system, so I can't look up account numbers, phone numbers or addresses.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

mwoodj

join:2001-10-27
Madison, AL
Hey Dan. I was referring to steps I took after reading your post so it wasn't an issue of vagueness. I guess I was the one that was vague. I will send you a PM with my modem info.