Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mboy
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Little Falls, NJ

Question on Vonage voice mail

Does the unit have to be connected to the internet for voicemail to function?
I am really just looking for a way for people to receive an outgoing message when they cal the #.
That includes during power outage.

Thanks.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by mboy:

Does the unit have to be connected to the internet for voicemail to function?
I am really just looking for a way for people to receive an outgoing message when they cal the #.
That includes during power outage.

Thanks.

Great question. We've only had 1 power outage in the 10 years we've had Vonage, but during those few hours, calls were re-routed to my cell phone. I'm not at home to test it, but if call forwarding is off, and voicemail is on, I'm guessing that the adapter would NOT have to be plugged in.

Anyone else have experience with this?
--
Guns Will Be Gone. Period. Thank OUR President Obama for putting the lives of our children ahead of special interests.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

1 power outage in 10 years! Cripe, you must live in something like the Houston Astrodome, or something, where there is no wind or anything!

I bet I've had 10 outages/flashes just this year! Slight exaggeration, but I have a had a few quick power flashes already. I always tell people that the power flashes here when ever 1 of our 2 Chihuahua's goes outside and farts!!

As far as just a plain jane Vonage connection with no call forwarding or anything else setup, no, voice mail DOES NOT work here when power is out, on my VDV22 adapter.

Easy way to test your stuff though is to simply disconnect Vonage adapter and call you home phone from your cell phone.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by cork1958:

As far as just a plain jane Vonage connection with no call forwarding or anything else setup, no, voice mail DOES NOT work here when power is out, on my VD22 adapter.

Easy way to test your stuff though is to simply disconnect Vonage adapter and call you home phone from your cell phone.

That is very interesting, and that has not been my own previous experience with Vonage voice mail. To find out if something has recently changed, I just got through testing as follows:

1. I disabled the Network Availability feature for a Vonage line.

2. I removed power from the D-Link VTA-VR associated with that line.

3. I called that number from a cell phone, and left a test message (the call did go to Vonage voice mail on the first ring as I expected).

4. In just a few seconds I received a notification on the cell phone that I had a Vonage voice mail waiting to be heard.

5. I called the Vonage voice mail number from the cell phone, and listened to the message.

6. I then checked my email, and there was also an email notification that I had a Vonage voice mail (and that voice mail audio file was attached). I had no problems listening to that voice mail attachment.

7. I logged into the Vonage account management site, and I also saw and listened to the test voice mail from the Vonage account management site with no problems.

FWIW, I have attached that voice mail email attachment to this post.
downloadvoice-message.wav 61328 bytes

While I am not a fan of the Vonage VDV series ATAs I can't imagine why that would make a difference (especially since I had no problems with Vonage voice mail with my VTA-VR powered off, which would eliminate the ATA's involvement in the process).

The only thing I can think of to explain your voice mail failure result is that you were trying to check your voice mail from your Vonage phone while the VDV-22 was still not connected to the Internet (which certainly would not work). Either that or when you said "no call forwarding or anything else setup", you also meant that you had not yet setup voice mail either (also a sure fire way for voice mail to not work).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

No,
I was not trying to check voice mail while line was still down. Even I'm not that stupid and yes, my voice mail IS setup.

Now I have 2 issues that seem to be different from most of the rest.

Can't fax now, probably due to Zoom modem compared to a SB6120 that I used to have, and will have to test voice mail with power TOTALLY off at modem/adapter, which are both plugged into same outlet.

Dang you Netfixer!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/