Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ropeguru

Re: [RANT] Res gets 2x speeds FREE|biz pays $10 for small change

As yet (other than metro-E---maybe?)they don't? but at some point at least in the business core, they will/should.
Remember SLA's don't guarantee instant fixes, it just defines "reasonable repair window" and who pays who how much for lost time.
generally the cable plant in most areas is reliable enough to offer an SLA in return for a premium price during uptime.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by tshirt:

As yet (other than metro-E---maybe?)they don't? but at some point at least in the business core, they will/should.
Remember SLA's don't guarantee instant fixes, it just defines "reasonable repair window" and who pays who how much for lost time.
generally the cable plant in most areas is reliable enough to offer an SLA in return for a premium price during uptime.

But the fact is they do not have a written or even implied SLA for what we pay. I could care less what the future MAY hold. Hell, they MAY even triple or speeds for the same price. We can sure speculate about any option.

And they are not always forth coming on their repair windows either. I have had several instances in the early evening hours where I have required a tech visit and was told nothing was available until sometime the next morning because all the techs had gone home for the night. And yes, they were aware that it was a business class service.

Looking at their site I could not find anything in their terms, with the exception of Trunk customers and some individual states like Maryland, that defines any kind of repair window.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by ropeguru:

I could care less what the future MAY hold. Hell, they MAY even triple or speeds for the same price.

... but, this whole thread is about what Comcast MAY do.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by AVonGauss:

said by ropeguru:

I could care less what the future MAY hold. Hell, they MAY even triple or speeds for the same price.

... but, this whole thread is about what Comcast MAY do is already doing in some areas.

FTFY

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Oh? What has Comcast already done, in some areas?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by AVonGauss:

Oh? What has Comcast already done, in some areas?

Upgraded residential from 25/4 to 50/10 while upgrading business class from 22/5 to 27/7.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Sigh. Why don't you wait until March (most likely April) when this actually goes down and see what really happens. You're making a lot of assumptions. Comcast (or any other big corporation) generally doesn't need are help to make a snafu of things.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by AVonGauss:

Sigh. Why don't you wait until March (most likely April) when this actually goes down and see what really happens. You're making a lot of assumptions. Comcast (or any other big corporation) generally doesn't need are help to make a snafu of things.

Well maybe if Comcast actually communicated to their business class customers I would be willing to do that. Instead, we have no idea what they are planning. So they would send these notes to business class users about 27/7 and notes to residential about 25/4 to 50/10 and then what? Send another note 2 months later about another upgrade? This isn't the only case of this, they don't communicate firmware updates or in many cases outages, etc. It may vary by area, but I've seen quite a few complaints about it.

Feel free to ignore this thread, it is labelled a rant. I'm basing it on their past behavior and the current changes being made. If you don't like the speculation, that's your prerogative and annoying yourself by reading the thread isn't doing anyone any good.
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Actually pflog, I get your rant. At first blush it is at least confusing, and has to be irritating to business customers to see residential service offerings sprint ahead on speeds on somewhat equivalent tiers.

At the same time, I suggest at least considering that residential versus business packages are two different product lines, despite both being HSI. It is less important comparing relative "value" between packages designed for two disparate groups of customers, as it is determining if the product stands as useful and fairly priced on its own merit. Truth to tell, I never really bothered worrying about what business customers got, I was only concerned that the package that I was interested in represented a fair value for my intened usage.

It is a bit amusing that for a long time now residential users have been the ones bemoaning the fact that business users had the advantages of no caps as well as better CS...and indeed despite the fact that caps really are not currently being enforced, Comcast policy still fully indicates that they will be a part of residential packages. Further, although there is always the "bad" story to counter, business customers still do have better customer service for the most part than their residential counterparts...and yes, that support costs money.

I think that if Comcast business customers feel sufficiently disenfranchised then they have every right to voice their disatisfaction...however, it is clear that Comcast will never make everyone happy
--
Deeds, not words

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to pflog

I've decided that once my contract is up in roughly a year, I'm going to go back to residential. It seems like the business support has gotten worse over the last few months, both over the phone, and on-site visits.

They've started giving me grief for owning my own modem when calling them for my current ongoing issue, even though I bought a second one to swap with. The last service call I scheduled over the phone was for a week later, and this was with my modem rebooting 4-10 times a day.

Most of the techs that show up, aside from the maintenance supervisor that I'm currently dealing with, are "normal"/residential service techs, that usually don't have access to business-class accounts. They're basically flying blind if I'm not at home (and this usually results in little to no follow-up), and if I am, I have to re-explain everything that I told over the phone. They can't do too much anyways before forwarding it on to a supervisor. I guess I can chalk this one up to living in a sparsely populated area.

The lack of modem choices is the icing on the cake. I'd really like to get a Zoom 5341J or a similar 8x4 modem, since the newer chipsets seem to be more tolerant of crap coming down the wire. I absolutely refuse to use any kind of combo/gateway unit, which means I'm stuck with older modems. Hopefully the SB6121 will continue to be sold for a while longer.
--
KI6RIT

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to PeteC2

I see your point, I do. I don't have to like it though!

The thing is, they won't lose that much business over this (in the near term) because it's not like someone can get out of their contract because "residential gets higher speeds" And I doubt people are willing to pay a massive ETF to spite them and get residential instead.

I hope this is all just me overreacting like AVonGauss See Profile thinks, but I'm not so sure.
--

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

said by pflog:

I hope this is all just me overreacting like AVonGauss See Profile thinks, but I'm not so sure.

FWIW - I didn't say you were wrong, or even that it wouldn't play out like you've said. What I did say is there's no reason to get worked up over it until it actually happens, or at least is officially announced.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by AVonGauss:

said by pflog:

FWIW - I didn't say you were wrong, or even that it wouldn't play out like you've said. What I did say is there's no reason to get worked up over it until it actually happens, or at least is officially announced.

Point taken. I like to complain, sue me
--

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Like some of the other comments, I think I'll be moving to residential once my contract is up as well. I got the business service because I didn't want to risk hitting the cap that residential had at the time, I didn't want to be without internets for days on end, and the price premium wasn't that much more. That was a bad idea.

IMHO the business phone support is no different than the residential. I can't get them to come out the same day and the tech that eventually comes days later can't be bothered to follow-up when they discover the problem isn't limited to just my house. There isn't any value in the business service for me.

I think caps are a bad idea, but the proposed 50GB/$10 with three passes in 1yr. may just be worth it if I save >=$20/mo for faster service and that savings can be applied to any cap overages. I wouldn't be paying extra for the same crappy support either.

So if I owned my own modem on business, how much grief am I in for to move it over to residential when my contract is up? I've been meaning to get rid of the rent fee for that POS SMC gateway.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

And the other up side for residential? You would already have native IPv6.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

I see your point, I do. I don't have to like it though!

No argument there! If I had business class service I do not think that I would be overly fond of what appears to be the trend either.

Were I a business class customer, I might well have second thoughts about switching to residential (if applicable)...just don't forget that the "caps" and CS may still be over-riding factors.
--
Deeds, not words

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Not if you were using one of Comcast's residential gateway boxes. And the business class gateway box is also the reason for no native IPv6 support for business class customers.

If your CMTS and head end equipment supports native IPv6, then a business class customer using a standard cable modem can also get native IPv6.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to pflog

No way to get statics, or run email servers. That puts me in business class.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:63

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Only if you're off an Arris CMTS at the moment.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by netcool:

said by ropeguru:

Only if you're off an Arris CMTS at the moment.

Yep, no native IPv6 for residential customers in this neighborhood!
--
Deeds, not words

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to pflog

Comcast business seems to work for me.

--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by ropeguru:

Not if you were using one of Comcast's residential gateway boxes. And the business class gateway box is also the reason for no native IPv6 support for business class customers.

If your CMTS and head end equipment supports native IPv6, then a business class customer using a standard cable modem can also get native IPv6.

Have static IP's here so I am still waiting... If I had residential I would be using my own IPv6 compatible modem.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

You're getting more effective usable bandwidth for the dollar on business class.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by espaeth:

said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.
--

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by pflog:

said by espaeth:

said by pflog:

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

I think he meant in general, people always say that when comcast increases speeds. But yeah when speeds are increased, you're able to download more since you're doing it in faster time which leads to reaching that cap faster than you normally would (assuming you download that much to begin with, and lets not forget that Comcast will also be raising the caps very soon)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

I don't believe that's a true statement most of the time, so I agree with espaeth See Profile.

I had 22/5 before and my overall traffic usage has not changed since getting 27/7. In fact if anything it has gone down a bit.
--

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

Where did I imply anything about caps?

You posted on DSLReports -- that's how things work here.

said by pflog:

I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

It doesn't fit the business model though.

Rental car companies often charge mileage usage for in-town rentals but allow for unlimited(!) miles if you rent at the airport and supply flight info. The reason behind this is simple: people who are flying somewhere are drastically less likely to drive that car across the country.

It's easier to bump speeds for residential customer because of the volume usage structure (caps) that is applied to that product.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
reply to ropeguru

Metro Ethernet has SLAs. Regardless, the "four hour truck roll" I was told about by the sales rep was never less than 18 in the three cases I had outages. Business class is terrible.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

And the price of service to match.