Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to PeteC2

MVM

to PeteC2

Re: [RANT] Res gets 2x speeds FREE|biz pays $10 for small change

I see your point, I do. I don't have to like it though!

The thing is, they won't lose that much business over this (in the near term) because it's not like someone can get out of their contract because "residential gets higher speeds" And I doubt people are willing to pay a massive ETF to spite them and get residential instead.

I hope this is all just me overreacting like AVonGauss See Profile thinks, but I'm not so sure.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by pflog:

I hope this is all just me overreacting like AVonGauss See Profile thinks, but I'm not so sure.

FWIW - I didn't say you were wrong, or even that it wouldn't play out like you've said. What I did say is there's no reason to get worked up over it until it actually happens, or at least is officially announced.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by AVonGauss:

said by pflog:

FWIW - I didn't say you were wrong, or even that it wouldn't play out like you've said. What I did say is there's no reason to get worked up over it until it actually happens, or at least is officially announced.

Point taken. I like to complain, sue me

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to pflog

to pflog
Like some of the other comments, I think I'll be moving to residential once my contract is up as well. I got the business service because I didn't want to risk hitting the cap that residential had at the time, I didn't want to be without internets for days on end, and the price premium wasn't that much more. That was a bad idea.

IMHO the business phone support is no different than the residential. I can't get them to come out the same day and the tech that eventually comes days later can't be bothered to follow-up when they discover the problem isn't limited to just my house. There isn't any value in the business service for me.

I think caps are a bad idea, but the proposed 50GB/$10 with three passes in 1yr. may just be worth it if I save >=$20/mo for faster service and that savings can be applied to any cap overages. I wouldn't be paying extra for the same crappy support either.

So if I owned my own modem on business, how much grief am I in for to move it over to residential when my contract is up? I've been meaning to get rid of the rent fee for that POS SMC gateway.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

And the other up side for residential? You would already have native IPv6.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to pflog

MVM

to pflog
said by pflog:

I see your point, I do. I don't have to like it though!

No argument there! If I had business class service I do not think that I would be overly fond of what appears to be the trend either.

Were I a business class customer, I might well have second thoughts about switching to residential (if applicable)...just don't forget that the "caps" and CS may still be over-riding factors.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Not if you were using one of Comcast's residential gateway boxes. And the business class gateway box is also the reason for no native IPv6 support for business class customers.

If your CMTS and head end equipment supports native IPv6, then a business class customer using a standard cable modem can also get native IPv6.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
No way to get statics, or run email servers. That puts me in business class.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 recommendation

netcool to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Only if you're off an Arris CMTS at the moment.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by netcool:

said by ropeguru:

Only if you're off an Arris CMTS at the moment.

Yep, no native IPv6 for residential customers in this neighborhood!
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
Comcast business seems to work for me.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by ropeguru:

Not if you were using one of Comcast's residential gateway boxes. And the business class gateway box is also the reason for no native IPv6 support for business class customers.

If your CMTS and head end equipment supports native IPv6, then a business class customer using a standard cable modem can also get native IPv6.

Have static IP's here so I am still waiting... If I had residential I would be using my own IPv6 compatible modem.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to pflog

MVM

to pflog
said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

You're getting more effective usable bandwidth for the dollar on business class.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by SpaethCo:

said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by pflog:

said by SpaethCo:

said by pflog:

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

I think he meant in general, people always say that when comcast increases speeds. But yeah when speeds are increased, you're able to download more since you're doing it in faster time which leads to reaching that cap faster than you normally would (assuming you download that much to begin with, and lets not forget that Comcast will also be raising the caps very soon)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I don't believe that's a true statement most of the time, so I agree with SpaethCo See Profile.

I had 22/5 before and my overall traffic usage has not changed since getting 27/7. In fact if anything it has gone down a bit.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to pflog

MVM

to pflog
said by pflog:

Where did I imply anything about caps?

You posted on DSLReports -- that's how things work here.
said by pflog:

I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

It doesn't fit the business model though.

Rental car companies often charge mileage usage for in-town rentals but allow for unlimited(!) miles if you rent at the airport and supply flight info. The reason behind this is simple: people who are flying somewhere are drastically less likely to drive that car across the country.

It's easier to bump speeds for residential customer because of the volume usage structure (caps) that is applied to that product.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
Metro Ethernet has SLAs. Regardless, the "four hour truck roll" I was told about by the sales rep was never less than 18 in the three cases I had outages. Business class is terrible.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

And the price of service to match.