·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to pflog

Re: [RANT] Res gets 2x speeds FREE|biz pays $10 for small change

Comcast business seems to work for me.

--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by ropeguru:

And the other up side for residential? You would already have native IPv6.

Not if you were using one of Comcast's residential gateway boxes. And the business class gateway box is also the reason for no native IPv6 support for business class customers.

If your CMTS and head end equipment supports native IPv6, then a business class customer using a standard cable modem can also get native IPv6.

Have static IP's here so I am still waiting... If I had residential I would be using my own IPv6 compatible modem.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

You're getting more effective usable bandwidth for the dollar on business class.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by espaeth:

said by pflog:

Now we're paying the same premium for the same perks, yet potentially getting 1/2 the speeds.

But you can't use the argument "Great, now we can hit the cap even faster" that everybody throws out when residential speeds are bumped.

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by pflog:

said by espaeth:

said by pflog:

Sorry I don't follow. Where did I imply anything about caps? I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

I think he meant in general, people always say that when comcast increases speeds. But yeah when speeds are increased, you're able to download more since you're doing it in faster time which leads to reaching that cap faster than you normally would (assuming you download that much to begin with, and lets not forget that Comcast will also be raising the caps very soon)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
I don't believe that's a true statement most of the time, so I agree with espaeth See Profile.

I had 22/5 before and my overall traffic usage has not changed since getting 27/7. In fact if anything it has gone down a bit.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

Where did I imply anything about caps?

You posted on DSLReports -- that's how things work here.

said by pflog:

I don't come close to 250GB. But more speed would benefit me, especially on the upstream. 10 would mean 2x the previous 5 upstream or nearly 50% more over the current 7Mbps.

It doesn't fit the business model though.

Rental car companies often charge mileage usage for in-town rentals but allow for unlimited(!) miles if you rent at the airport and supply flight info. The reason behind this is simple: people who are flying somewhere are drastically less likely to drive that car across the country.

It's easier to bump speeds for residential customer because of the volume usage structure (caps) that is applied to that product.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
reply to ropeguru
Metro Ethernet has SLAs. Regardless, the "four hour truck roll" I was told about by the sales rep was never less than 18 in the three cases I had outages. Business class is terrible.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
And the price of service to match.