All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PacNWE97
@qwest.net

PacNWE97

Anon

Neilson in my home - Opt in or by default?

The way I see this, Microsoft is digging a hole the size of the great lakes which will make selling the Xbox 720 insurmountable. They're going to "let" Nielson into our homes, they're also going to do behavioral ad tracking using their built in Kinect - all while requiring a subscription to their XBox Live Network, just to gain access to content from others...

Microsoft is looking less consumer friendly (if that's even possible) every day.

Just say no to thugs...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

keep in mind there is nothing at this time that stops a cable company from collecting viewership data. all CATV boxes except DTAs are two way, meaning it can report a channel change and how long you are on that channel.

And if HDMI is used it even would know when the TV is off.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to PacNWE97

to PacNWE97
said by PacNWE97 :

The way I see this, Microsoft is digging a hole the size of the great lakes which will make selling the Xbox 720 insurmountable. They're going to "let" Nielson into our homes, they're also going to do behavioral ad tracking using their built in Kinect - all while requiring a subscription to their XBox Live Network, just to gain access to content from others...

Microsoft is looking less consumer friendly (if that's even possible) every day.

Just say no to thugs...

No more naked game playing???? I always enjoy that.

InquiringM
@qwest.net

InquiringM to PacNWE97

Anon

to PacNWE97
And whats your thoughts on Google?

PacNWE97
@qwest.net

PacNWE97

Anon

said by InquiringM :

And whats your thoughts on Google?

I don't use any Google products or services for this very reason.
Haven't felt left out. Can "find" anything on the internet without their search engine. Still find FireFox my default browser.

I also have Satellite which stopped reporting anything to Nielson a while ago, plus when they did, I could always unplug their phone dial-back as an OptOut.

Bottom line, OptOut is important to me. It should be the default setting for any service until and if the customer wholly understands what OptIn means.

Seriously, if Nielson wants in to our homes, our consoles, why shouldn't consumers receive a subsidy for OUR information being used and get Xbox Live Premium on Nielson's tab?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
has been happening for a while with TWC they have been using viewership data is a few markets including Dallas from collecting data off of the boxes. Also the passport guide by Rovi has supported collecting viewership data for years now since they came out with their interactive suite of mosaic channels, pay on demand with using the remote, games, wiget apps.