spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to corster

to corster

Re: Will TSI issues follow me to Start?

said by corster:

In regards to DSL: If your line was bad then, it's likely still bad now. Doesn't matter who your provider is, i'd stick with cable.

Depending on how long ago that was, there always is the possibility of new remotes close enough to bypass the problematic copper or at least substantially improve SNRMs.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by corster:

In regards to DSL: If your line was bad then, it's likely still bad now. Doesn't matter who your provider is, i'd stick with cable.

Depending on how long ago that was, there always is the possibility of new remotes close enough to bypass the problematic copper or at least substantially improve SNRMs.

Possible, but something like that could just as easily be a problem with the lines to the house - and if Bell didn't replace them then... they certainly haven't since.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by corster:

Possible, but something like that could just as easily be a problem with the lines to the house - and if Bell didn't replace them then... they certainly haven't since.

If the remote bypasses 1-2km of outside plant, stats would likely still improve significantly even if no repairs were done to wiring.

The apartment I currently live in has 50+ years old phone wiring that has been hacked and spliced into multiple times with a messy wiring panel in the basement boiler room that has been through a few floodings and I still get 25dB SNRM.

DSL signals can take a fair bit of abuse as long as metallic continuity is good and the remote is close enough.