spc
Search similar:

uniqs
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

Any problems streaming youtube videos?

Curious if Comcast HSI users have problems streaming youtube videos?

Verizon FIOS users have been having tremendous rebuffering problems streaming youtube videos recently and it has gotten worse even though I have a 50/25 connection FIOS connection.

A poster believes it an industry wide issue. I believe otherwise since I can stream youtube videos while at work with no problems.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

No issues with youtube videos for me. I have the performance tier, which of course is 16/2 (25/4 when you count power boost).

--Brian

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents to navyson

to navyson
I find that using »www.youtube.com/ (https) can sometimes fix my buffering issues.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to navyson

MVM

to navyson
said by navyson:

A poster believes it an industry wide issue. I believe otherwise since I can stream youtube videos while at work with no problems.

Ongoing:
»Youtube sucks for me

There are past reports of problems with other providers, including Comcast.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to navyson

to navyson
Youtube sucked for me due to my old router. Hard to believe but that was it. The new router eliminated most of the problem. PowerBoost is really great for youtube. It almost buffers the whole video sometimes. The normal speed is sometimes not enough for the video bandwidth.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to navyson

to navyson
No amount of bandwidth/speed makes up for YouTube's horrible servers @ peak hours.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to navyson

to navyson
so a fix has been found....

»dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/co ··· ottling/

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

I really had no issues but this made me think...is it possible to block those ip addresses on the SMC?
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

When you do a tracert does your connection show anything TWC related ? Mine doesn't as far as I can tell... So how would this help anyone NOT on TWC ?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by ExoticFish:

When you do a tracert does your connection show anything TWC related ? Mine doesn't as far as I can tell... So how would this help anyone NOT on TWC ?

I heard this fix applies to all ISP's....
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Right... But like I said if you're not going through any TWC servers at any point this won't help... Am I wrong ?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by ExoticFish:

Right... But like I said if you're not going through any TWC servers at any point this won't help... Am I wrong ?

I read somewhere that TWC wasn't solely the problem...it had to do with the CDN servers...with which those ip addresses serve from that belongs to Google...
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

I blocked them just out of curiosity. I normally never have issues during the day, just peak times. Will see if I notice any difference tonight.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to navyson

to navyson
I just watched The Zac Brown Band last night via streaming from my Blu-ray player without a glitch.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson
I thought I was the only one with this issue, i'm glad to know it's not me or my connection. I tried everything, a new computer, a direct connection instead of wireless, no matter what I do, I cannot get through watching videos because they always buffer. My connection is VERY good, I have no problems streaming anywhere else and I get no lag in games.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to navyson

MVM

to navyson
See this page that appeared today:

»Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues? [149] comments