spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Albo

join:2013-02-21
Etobicoke, ON

[Express] Do I need to change to a DOCSIS 3.0 Router for this?

So I got the $10 unlimited bandwidth add-on from rogers added on to my internet but they are trying to tell me that I need to get a newer router then what I have now (SMC8014WG DOCSIS 2.0) because it's not compatible with unlimited bandwidth and I would need the new top of the line modem. I'm not no expert but I believe that any router can download 500GB of data in a month. I currently average in the 17-23Mb/s area on Down and 1.95Mb/s Upload. So Do I really need the new modem im not trying to pay $7 for this new modem.

Pesterd

join:2013-01-22

Re: [Express] Do I need to change to a DOCSIS 3.0 Router for thi

You only need a 3.0 modem for higher internet tiers. If you are keeping the same speed, it shouldn't matter.

Albo

join:2013-02-21
Etobicoke, ON
Yeah It's the same package I had before except I added unlimited bandwidth. I guess they just try an lie to get that extra dollar or the workers are unaware of how technology works.

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to Albo
The modem rentals for the newer D3s are not more expensive than your current one... also profiles can be odd and it may very well require the modem. See if you can get it for the same rental price.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Albo
No,you don't need a Docsis 3.0 router,you need a Docsis 3.0 Modem
Your Docsis 2.0 modem is good for about 30mb (I'm on a 28/1 tier).

The Doc 3 modem will help with congestion though.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Albo
DOCSIS 3.0 is required for al the unlimited tiers except Lite.