how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nx3mtmt

join:2010-01-15
Edison, NJ

[iO] Cablevision adding $ 2.98 "sports surchage" in Ap

I never watch sports in the first place. They really need to create a separate sports tier for the ultra expensive ESPN, MSG, SNY, Yes, etc....

»www.deadline.com/2013/02/cablevi···rcharge/

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Re: [iO] Cablevision adding $ 2.98 "sports surchage" i

Not surprising. DirecTV and FiOS are pulling the same crap...

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

If it's a separate charge, then I should be able to drop those channels.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

said by matcarl:

Agreed. I don't want any sports channels why would I have to pay an extra surcharge? Why not just roll it into the cable price if they're going to raise it for everyone.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

Not unless you go back to Broadcast Basic:
quote:
The Sports Programming Surcharge will be applied to cable television customers subscribing to Family or Value packages or above.
Why don't they just friggin raise the price of the actual packages. A-holes.

When it shows up on the bill, I guess I'll call up, fight with the useless rep who answers the phone, then give the rep a poor rating on the follow-up survey.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Bob4:

said by matcarl:

quote:
The Sports Programming Surcharge will be applied to cable television customers subscribing to Family or Value packages or above.

When it shows up on the bill, I guess I'll call up, fight with the useless rep who answers the phone, then give the rep a poor rating on the follow-up survey.

Why would you do that? The rep doesn't have any control over those fees, and the rating is only used to reflect on the rep, not the corporate offices.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by frdrizzt:

said by Bob4:

Why would you do that? The rep doesn't have any control over those fees, and the rating is only used to reflect on the rep, not the corporate offices.

I answer the survey questions honestly. (I don't recall the specific questions at this time.) If the question asks if the rep was helpful, the answer is 'no'. If the question asks if the rep solved my problems, the answer is 'no'.

It's not my fault if the survey questions are not designed properly.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to nx3mtmt

This fee should be called the Dolan double-dip. Guess MSG & MSG+ are asking too much from CV so just up fees & use the excuse of RSN fees are too high.

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ
reply to Bob4

You can always downgrade to the useless Economy package or go the Broadcast basic route, which I plan to do when my promo expires.

UNSuser

@optonline.net
reply to nx3mtmt

This is more like the ESPN fee...

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/0···/146791/

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to rick0204

Economy? Is that new?

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ

Optimum Economy Channels

Includes everything in Broadcast Basic plus the following channels:
Animal Planet
Animal Planet HD†
Bloomberg TV
Bloomberg TV HD†
Boomerang
Cartoon Network
Cartoon Network HD†
CNN
CNN HD†
CNN Headline News
C-SPAN3
Daystar
Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel HD†
EuroNews
EWTN
Food Network
Food Network HD†
fuse
fuse HD†
HGTV
HGTV HD†
History
History HD†
Hub
MSG Varsity
MSG Varsity HD†
MSNBC
MSNBC HD†
News 12 Traffic and Weather
News 12 Traffic and Weather HD†
ReelzChannel
Shalom TV
Telecare
Turner Classic Movies
Turner Classic Movies HD†
TV One
Universal HD†
WE tv
WE tv HD†

A digital cable box, HD digital cable box or CableCARD is needed to receive these channels.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

OK, but is it new? When Preferred and Value came out, I don't recall there being an Economy.

I have the rate sheet at home and will look.

rick0204

North Bergen, NJ

It is new in New Jersey. It started maybe 2 months ago. All the other CV areas had it since the start of the new packages.

nx3mtmt

join:2010-01-15
Edison, NJ
reply to nx3mtmt

My latest bill announced the availability of the Economy package for the Raritan system. Price is $ 39.95.

ESPN alone gets $ 5- 6 each month from every cable subscriber. Yes and MSG are $ 2 -3 each.

These prices are probably proportional to the $ 12 - 15 subscription costs of HBO, SHO, etc.

Movie fans have always had to pay extra for premium movies. It's time for sports fans to pay the full freight for their games too.

It's time for Cablevision to create packages (Value, Preferred,etc) with AND without sports channels.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by nx3mtmt:

It's time for Cablevision to create packages (Value, Preferred,etc) with AND without sports channels.

It would not surprise me if they would like to create those packages since CV has shown a desire to create specialized packages in the past. ESPN/ABC certainly will not easily agree to be in a separate package, they want a fee for every user and ESPN is by far the most expensive channel. Maybe with fees like this one, customer dissatisfaction with paying for sports content might be increased and help hold down the increases but I suspect it will not help. Of course it could back fire for Dolan since he does control MSG in addition to CV.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by TheWiseGuy:

ESPN/ABC certainly will not easily agree to be in a separate package,

Looks like CV has already done that with Optimum Economy...

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Yes, Economy is certainly a start, though it is a fairly limited lineup, fairly close to Broadcast Basic. It does not include many channels which really are not premiums. I would hope they can continue to create and offer different packages which appeal to different segments. I suspect the poor economy has allowed them some leverage with content providers and allowed for Economy, but I doubt they will be able to offer packages for a real market segmentation at this point unless they can get a real backlash against content providers.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to nx3mtmt

I have Gold. It has all the sports too. I wonder if they will let me dump them all and save money. Although $3 does not even begin to cover the cost of.all the channels..

They should move them into the sports package and be done with it. If ESPN does not like it let them yank the channels

kensmiles

join:2002-01-13
Ridgewood, NJ
reply to nx3mtmt

I just started paying a $5 increase. How can they say that they have not raised rates since 2010?

Phoneman63

join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

They should move them into the sports package and be done with it. If ESPN does not like it let them yank the channels

Amen brother! I don't even watch ESPN.
--
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

I just watch whichever channel is showing the Devils. Wish I could drop all the other channels, but, no, CV has to screw us even more. I already had a 4% increase in my bill this year.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kensmiles

said by kensmiles:

I just started paying a $5 increase. How can they say that they have not raised rates since 2010?

They didn't say that. They said "Cablevision has not increased its cable television pricing since late 2010." That is accurate.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

Spin it anyway you want but the fact is most of us will see a 7.98 increase between this and the ool hike

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I'm not doing any spinning. I was answering someone's somewhat rhetorical question.

I think it's a bad idea as it goes against the old "no hidden fees" ad campaign, and think they should adjust the base rate of the tier (though this means it gets added on to people with promotions, so it's obviously more enticing)

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to dm145

Not to mention extra box charges due to the digital conversion.

anonimust

@verizon.net
reply to Jmartz

The problem is that espn wouldn't yank just the espn channels, but also the disney and cable abc channels as well. The only channel negotiated separately I believe is the local ABC affiliate. So now you would have sports fans, and kids crying to no end.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to kensmiles

said by kensmiles:

They can say that because they are fucking lairs. If they can make money on it, they will say that shit is gold.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by matcarl:

quote:

Then it would give VZ ammo to advertise against than and I think there's some regulatory process they have to go through to justify regular rate hike, where as they can invent these bullshit fees all day long.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to nx3mtmt

Is it possible to use this as a reason to threaten to switch in order to get a lower promotional rate? We've never had any promotions here since we've had them since they took over for the old cable company, we did get the ool promotion back in like '02. What's the best way to go about this?