Phoneman63

join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Jmartz

Re: [iO] Cablevision adding $ 2.98 "sports surchage" i

said by Jmartz:

They should move them into the sports package and be done with it. If ESPN does not like it let them yank the channels

Amen brother! I don't even watch ESPN.
--
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

I just watch whichever channel is showing the Devils. Wish I could drop all the other channels, but, no, CV has to screw us even more. I already had a 4% increase in my bill this year.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kensmiles

said by kensmiles:

I just started paying a $5 increase. How can they say that they have not raised rates since 2010?

They didn't say that. They said "Cablevision has not increased its cable television pricing since late 2010." That is accurate.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

Spin it anyway you want but the fact is most of us will see a 7.98 increase between this and the ool hike

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I'm not doing any spinning. I was answering someone's somewhat rhetorical question.

I think it's a bad idea as it goes against the old "no hidden fees" ad campaign, and think they should adjust the base rate of the tier (though this means it gets added on to people with promotions, so it's obviously more enticing)

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to dm145

Not to mention extra box charges due to the digital conversion.

anonimust

@verizon.net
reply to Jmartz

The problem is that espn wouldn't yank just the espn channels, but also the disney and cable abc channels as well. The only channel negotiated separately I believe is the local ABC affiliate. So now you would have sports fans, and kids crying to no end.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to kensmiles

said by kensmiles:

I just started paying a $5 increase. How can they say that they have not raised rates since 2010?

They can say that because they are fucking lairs. If they can make money on it, they will say that shit is gold.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by matcarl:

If it's a separate charge, then I should be able to drop those channels.

Not unless you go back to Broadcast Basic:
quote:
The Sports Programming Surcharge will be applied to cable television customers subscribing to Family or Value packages or above.
Why don't they just friggin raise the price of the actual packages. A-holes.

Then it would give VZ ammo to advertise against than and I think there's some regulatory process they have to go through to justify regular rate hike, where as they can invent these bullshit fees all day long.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to nx3mtmt

Is it possible to use this as a reason to threaten to switch in order to get a lower promotional rate? We've never had any promotions here since we've had them since they took over for the old cable company, we did get the ool promotion back in like '02. What's the best way to go about this?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

If FiOS is available in your area, you should be able to negotiate a promotional rate. If not, they will let you go (to satellite and DSL, presumably) and maybe offer you a win-back deal down the road.

Alternatively, you can downgrade your service to make it more affordable.

question

@optonline.net
reply to rick0204

How much is OOL with iO Economy? 49.95 or 54.95 ?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to nx3mtmt

$49.95 with value & above

»www.optimum.com/pdf/ool_ov_pricing.pdf

question

@optonline.net

OOL looks to be $54.95 with Economy.

But if you have Economy+OOL+OV and register for Optimum Rewards, you get the $5 OOL discount, so that makes it $49.95.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY

Yeah, I didn't answer your question, but stated where the cutoff is. Sorry about the confusion.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to nx3mtmt

Since CV hasn't notified the subscribers yet, and the press release seems to be targeting a mystery date in April, we should sticky this thread, and monitor anything new discovered. We only have the sports channels they forced into our package, never watch them. Let those who watch sports pay the increase. I'm seriously considering downgrading to Economy as soon as I see the extra charge. That should save us around $40 a month. I wonder how many of us would need to do it, before they would notice on their bottom line.

And they can shove that bit about 'no rate increases' too. We've had a rate increase of some sort or other every year, or more often. Even if they tried to disguise it as something else, it's still an increase if my bill increases. And I have copies of all of them, as well as each of the new rate cards showing the increases. (Isn't technology a great thing?)

Might be time to contact my local franchising authority and remind them that this action should be directed at the subscribers using sports subscriptions, not the rest of us.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

What's to "monitor?" The fee is coming. Accept it or downgrade/disconnect.
It's unfortunate and frustrating...but there's not much you can do other than to vote with your feet.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

For starters, I don't see that Cv has notified any subscribers that this is even happening. We don't all get our bills at the same time. I'd like to hear that anyone has received a notification of this. I'm not downgrading without specific evidence of their action.

question

@optonline.net
reply to frdrizzt

Click for full size
As best as I can determine, these are the new prices for the Raritan system when the customer has 3 boxes, no DVR. Corrections welcome.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to momcat1

It was pretty well covered in the press, including the Wall Street Journal. »online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···828.html and »www.northjersey.com/news/1923613···ing.html not to mention the industry trades.

Cablevision put out a press release saying it's happening.

It's happening.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

They are required to do more than post press releases where locals are not liable to see them. Like provide notice in the bills.
A lot of people don't read WSJ, for instance. The only way I found out was the link in this thread, which came from some other publication I never heard of.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I'm sure it will be in the next billing insert, and not take effect until the following one. According to their TOS (because I was curious too), it basically comes down to that CV can change rates when they want as long as it does not violate local law, and you have 30 days to dispute any charge. Time Warner gave 2 weeks notice on their modem rental fee inclusion, so I would assume that the law allows that.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

Usually (in NY) you have a window to downgrade/disconnect without penalty due to a rate or service change. Not that there is a penalty to do either of those things anyway...

question

@optonline.net

said by limegrass69:

Usually (in NY) you have a window to downgrade/disconnect without penalty due to a rate or service change. Not that there is a penalty to do either of those things anyway...

Cablevision has always had a "downgrade of service fee", which they tried to impose even when prohibited by law. That's why it's important to know your right to downgrade without penalty within 30 days of a rate change or retiering of services.

I don't recall any special notice about the $5 OOL price increase. It just went up on the bill.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by question :

said by limegrass69:

Cablevision has always had a "downgrade of service fee", which they tried to impose even when prohibited by law. That's why it's important to know your right to downgrade without penalty within 30 days of a rate change or retiering of services.

I don't recall any special notice about the $5 OOL price increase. It just went up on the bill.

Your service would always be prorated to the day you change service. I have never heard of a fee to downgrade (before, during, or after I worked in the call center for CV). Can you give any specifics?

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to question

said by question :

said by limegrass69:

I have never heard of this "downgrade fee" for Cablevision. I've downgraded many residential and business accounts and have never seen this fee.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

I've never heard of a downgrade fee for Cablevision either. As for the OOL fee increase, I got a bill insert. Actually their online system forced me to read it before I viewed my bill.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

»[iO] Is There a Fee For Upgrades or Downgrades of TV Service?

question

@optonline.net
reply to frdrizzt

Search the forum and you'll see multiple references to a $2 charge for changing service. Here's one - »Change of service fees

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

That fee was dropped. Not sure when. I wanted to try out a few of the movie channels to see which one I wanted to keep. I was told that customers can add or drop channels as many times as they want. You just pay the daily rate - HBO is .50 and the other movie channels are .40 per day in a 30 day month. I have tried out all the premium movie channels one at a time this way.