uniqs
share rss forum feed

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to limegrass69

Re: [iO] Cablevision adding $ 2.98 "sports surchage" i

They are required to do more than post press releases where locals are not liable to see them. Like provide notice in the bills.
A lot of people don't read WSJ, for instance. The only way I found out was the link in this thread, which came from some other publication I never heard of.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I'm sure it will be in the next billing insert, and not take effect until the following one. According to their TOS (because I was curious too), it basically comes down to that CV can change rates when they want as long as it does not violate local law, and you have 30 days to dispute any charge. Time Warner gave 2 weeks notice on their modem rental fee inclusion, so I would assume that the law allows that.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Usually (in NY) you have a window to downgrade/disconnect without penalty due to a rate or service change. Not that there is a penalty to do either of those things anyway...

question

@optonline.net

said by limegrass69:

Usually (in NY) you have a window to downgrade/disconnect without penalty due to a rate or service change. Not that there is a penalty to do either of those things anyway...

Cablevision has always had a "downgrade of service fee", which they tried to impose even when prohibited by law. That's why it's important to know your right to downgrade without penalty within 30 days of a rate change or retiering of services.

I don't recall any special notice about the $5 OOL price increase. It just went up on the bill.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by question :

said by limegrass69:

Cablevision has always had a "downgrade of service fee", which they tried to impose even when prohibited by law. That's why it's important to know your right to downgrade without penalty within 30 days of a rate change or retiering of services.

I don't recall any special notice about the $5 OOL price increase. It just went up on the bill.

Your service would always be prorated to the day you change service. I have never heard of a fee to downgrade (before, during, or after I worked in the call center for CV). Can you give any specifics?

root

join:2002-12-11
reply to question

said by question :

said by limegrass69:

I have never heard of this "downgrade fee" for Cablevision. I've downgraded many residential and business accounts and have never seen this fee.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

I've never heard of a downgrade fee for Cablevision either. As for the OOL fee increase, I got a bill insert. Actually their online system forced me to read it before I viewed my bill.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

»[iO] Is There a Fee For Upgrades or Downgrades of TV Service?

question

@optonline.net
reply to frdrizzt

Search the forum and you'll see multiple references to a $2 charge for changing service. Here's one - »Change of service fees

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

That fee was dropped. Not sure when. I wanted to try out a few of the movie channels to see which one I wanted to keep. I was told that customers can add or drop channels as many times as they want. You just pay the daily rate - HBO is .50 and the other movie channels are .40 per day in a 30 day month. I have tried out all the premium movie channels one at a time this way.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to nx3mtmt

Programming costs, and in particular the cost to carry sports related programming, have seen sustained and significant increases in recent years. In spite of these increased costs and despite providing residential, business and entertainment customers with additional channels, on demand content, and new TV to Go services that allow customers to view the programming they receive both in and out of the home, Optimum has chosen not to increase video rates since December 2010. In order to address a portion of the dramatic programming cost increases Cablevision has faced since 2010, three rate adjustments will go into effect on April 1, 2013:
• A Sports Programming Surcharge of $2.98/month will be applied to residential and commercial customer packages with the exception of Broadcast Basic and the Economy packages.
• A $2/month increase of the Spanish-language package, which includes more than 45 Spanish-language channels, will be applied to the iO en espanol and Optimum en espanol packages.
• An Optimum Business increase of $4/month will be applied to commercial customers subscribing to all Optimum Business and Entertainment packages with the exception of the Broadcast Basic package.
The three rate adjustments do not apply to certain customers on promotional pricing or bulk billing arrangements.
Customers will be notified of these changes 30 days in advance through bill messages. In addition, customers can always find the most current channel line-up for their community on our website at www.optimum.com.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to rick0204

said by rick0204:

It is new in New Jersey. It started maybe 2 months ago. All the other CV areas had it since the start of the new packages.

That's not quite correct. I checked back to the most recent rate card we were forced to read (download) for Dutchess County, and there was no Economy package listed. There was also no mention of an Economy package on any of our recent bills since that rate card was published.

All of a sudden now, there is an Economy package listed on the website. I guess the package mysteriously appeared out of nowhere, sometime in the last couple of months? Something's not right.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT

The economy level only became available to systems as they became fully digital and everything above Broadcast Basic got encrypted. They had no way to limit the channels when family cable was analog.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to dm145

said by dm145:

Customers will be notified of these changes 30 days in advance through bill messages. In addition, customers can always find the most current channel line-up for their community on our website at www.optimum.com.

How is this possible? Our bill comes out around the 22nd of the month. February was already published, and there's no hint of this on that one. March will be available around 3/22/13. Even if they include the notice there, that's 9 days before 4/1/13, not even close to 30. I don't see what bearing finding the most current channel lineup has. That won't show this foolishness.

Hey, just thought of something. They plan to do this on 4/1/13? Some heck of an April Fool's joke.

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

Any new charges start on cycle so if you're cycle ends on the 22nd, it won't start until 4/23.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to momcat1

Just received my new bill and this is the notice:

Beginning with your next billing statement, there will be a monthly sports programming surcharge of $2.98 in the TV section. This change is a direct result of continually rising sports programming costs, and represents only a small portion of the cost for Optimum to provide this programming.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

Not that any of you want to hear it, I finally got the next bill. And the notice about the 2.98 was there. Unfortunately, there was also a new channel lineup pdf, can't see the bill til you download it, and those Economy packages have all been discontinued.
They really have stuck it to us this time. There is no package any longer that I could downgrade to, to avoid the sports programming surcharge. They know that we have no other alternate provider here. I really don't understand why they couldn't have separated sports programming, then they could surcharge it for the subscribers that watch sports. I'd like to contact our local franchise authority, but they no longer put that info on the bill. I don't have weeks to search for it, either.

dm145

Clifton, NJ

The regional sports nets, nfl net, espn, etc etc would never agree to be placed in a separate tier. They base their rates on a per viewer basis or should I say potential viewership.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to momcat1

said by momcat1:

Not that any of you want to hear it, I finally got the next bill. And the notice about the 2.98 was there. Unfortunately, there was also a new channel lineup pdf, can't see the bill til you download it, and those Economy packages have all been discontinued.
They really have stuck it to us this time. There is no package any longer that I could downgrade to, to avoid the sports programming surcharge. They know that we have no other alternate provider here. I really don't understand why they couldn't have separated sports programming, then they could surcharge it for the subscribers that watch sports. I'd like to contact our local franchise authority, but they no longer put that info on the bill. I don't have weeks to search for it, either.

Optimum Economy has no Sports Surcharge and either does Broadcast Basic, so you have 2 options to choose!

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

Optimum Economy no longer exists. They pulled it. So it's Basic or nothing. Basic is not an option - no cable channels, broadcast only.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to dm145

Optimum already has Sports & Entertainment Pack and Seasonal Sports Pack, for the sports enthusiasts. They could have tacked on the extra $$ to one or both of those. Leave us out of it.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08

1 edit
reply to momcat1

said by momcat1:

Optimum Economy no longer exists. They pulled it. So it's Basic or nothing. Basic is not an option - no cable channels, broadcast only.

since when has it been discontinued?

»optimum.com/ratecard.jsp?searchb···d=114792

Optimum Economy is $39.95

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

said by cabletecht:

Looks like since the new bills came out, the ones notifying of the sports surcharge. The old ones were listed last week.

cabletecht

said by momcat1:

said by cabletecht:

Looks like since the new bills came out, the ones notifying of the sports surcharge. The old ones were listed last week.

I would call in and double check that. I'm sure it's still available.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

It wasn't there an hour ago when I looked. And it's no included on the new rate card, either. Even the package I have is listed as discontinued.

cabletecht

hmm that is odd. I would try calling still since its listed on the site

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
reply to momcat1

It's on the rate card, it's on the right side not the left with all the other packages.

spc111

join:2003-12-09
NJ
reply to nx3mtmt

Is this $2.98 "sports surcharge" supposed to be added to those who have a promotional rate? I was quoted a specific promotional rate and was surprised by this additional fee on the bill. It was not mentioned at any time during the call (all the other "fees" were included in the quoted price except for this one).

Thanks

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to nx3mtmt

We gave up all TV in 2010. F THEM! Never looked back.

gambitNJ

join:2012-11-15
Boonton, NJ

said by M A R S:

We gave up all TV in 2010. F THEM! Never looked back.

How many children have been made in your household since there isn't anything to do since giving up TV?