All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AgentxOrange
join:2010-06-12
united state

AgentxOrange

valet key for a 2011 chevy express work van.

I stopped by my neighborhood Chevy dealership to get a valet key made for me. I lock my keys in the van about every two months, I went to the parts counter and was asked for the VIN number. I
provided the VIN number and key. The parts guy told me that the key was $35. I told him that I did not need a chip key, I wanted a valet key to lock and unlock the doors. He told me that that was the only type of key that was available and I could only get it a dealership. I told him to forget it and went to home depot and had 2 keys made for $1.87 a piece. The keys work perfectly. I was always told that prices at dealerships are high and they try to rip you off, well I had a first hand experience to it.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

That's why they get the name Stealership. Granted there are some things their service departments are good for, but price is generally not one of them. Shocks for my 2001 Grand Cherokee were about $125 each at my dealer. I found out that the shocks are essentially Gabriel Guardian shocks, which sell for about $20 at any auto parts shop.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to AgentxOrange

to AgentxOrange

Well I am likely wasting my breath, but you didn't experience anything other than the guy telling you the truth. GM does not have "valet" keys. Chrysler does offer such a key though, but not GM.

The only keys they have are what GM provides them with, which are the original type keys, and they are pricey. Some dealerships have parts guys that will, on their own initiative, buy blanks from a supplier outside the corporate chain such as Curtis or another brand and will oblige such requests. They have no obligation to do so though, of course.

What you ended up doing is fine, just don't blame the dealership for not doing something that they likely had no capability to do, and calling it a rip-off.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by mattmag:

What you ended up doing is fine, just don't blame the dealership for not doing something that they likely had no capability to do, and calling it a rip-off.

So you're saying that the factory key really costs $35 including less than 5 minutes of labor?

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Yes, they are that expensive. It isn't the generic stuff you get at a hardware store, they are a very high-grade key, most made of nickel that you can't even punch out like they used to, it requires a specific grinder. The parts department did not likely even figure labor into the price.

I'm not saying they are the best way to go, I'm just saying that costs *to* a dealership for such parts are high, and it gets passed on.

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Service department has zero to do with Parts department...two completely different entities.
Aside from that, as Mattmag said yes they are that "expensive"...35$ for an ignition key falls way way to the cheap side. If it were just a blank, metal shank key 2$ would cover it, but the only keys a dealer parts dep would have on hand would be factory replacements, and an 11 Express would have security transponder chip inside the head of the key (which would need to be learned)

As far as the parts counter, there may be a couple guys around that know their vehicles, but the majority are like any other joe blow working their 9-5 and will give you what the parts catalog gives them, regardless if it's what you actually want.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

AFAIK Valet key allows you to unlock the cabin and start the vehicle but not access the cargo areas. If it's a chip key, that would add to the price. Otherwise, just to open the cabin, you can get away with generic blanks

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to FuriousG

Premium Member

to FuriousG
When I bought my jeep I needed an extra chip key made. Dealer wanted almost $100 per key. A local locksmith did it for about $25, and the keys have worked fine for 9 years now. I suppose if a guy wanted the Chrysler logo on the key head like the OEM key does it might be worth another $75.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to AgentxOrange

to AgentxOrange
A buddy of mine had an Infiniti Q45 in the mid-90s. He wanted an extra key. It was $285, and only available through the dealer at the time. Apparently those keys were made of some slightly exotic metal and needed a special cutter.

For what you needed, $35 is expensive, but mattmag See Profile explained it well.
Expand your moderator at work

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to Mospaw

Premium Member

to Mospaw

Re: valet key for a 2011 chevy express work van.

said by Mospaw:

A buddy of mine had an Infiniti Q45 in the mid-90s. He wanted an extra key. It was $285, and only available through the dealer at the time. Apparently those keys were made of some slightly exotic metal and needed a special cutter.

For what you needed, $35 is expensive, but mattmag See Profile explained it well.

The new "smart" and proximity keys are like that. VW wants almost $400 for those if I do recall.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to AgentxOrange

to AgentxOrange
said by AgentxOrange:

key to lock and unlock the doors.

That is not a valet key. A valet key can also be used to start the engine, and that requires a chip. So the dealership was going to sell you exactly what you asked for.

It's unlikely that the dealership could even make the type of key you wanted, so I don't know how you would expect them to do that.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to AgentxOrange

Premium Member

to AgentxOrange
$35 is nothing... I just bought a 1999 VW Passat as a project car for $500. He misplaced the key. (The driver's door was already unlocked so I could look in it. It was bought as non-running.)

A replacement key from VW was $97. And it is just a simple transponder key. No remote, no nothing.

To program the key (if needed)?? $100...

The "switch blade" key, with integrated remote? $240....

Note to self... DON"T LOSE THIS KEY!

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to AgentxOrange

Premium Member

to AgentxOrange
Lord help you if you have a '10 or newer Ford with a high security (128 bit) code key; and loose one...

OEM key blank is in the $150 range, and if you don't have 2 keys (as in you lost one) - have to get the dealership to add it to the vehicle computer... Usually at an hours labour.

There is a DIY option, if you have 2 already programmed keys available.
jeckler
join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

jeckler to AgentxOrange

to AgentxOrange
$35 for a chip key is cheap, if that's what they were trying to sell you.
We bought a 2001 Ford Windstar at auction back in 2003, with one (transponder) key. Streetkeys.com made me the 2nd for $135. I made the 3rd for $28. eBay for the key, HD for the cut (in San Jose). You need two to make the 3rd yourself.
We bought a 2003 Expedition in 2009 that fortunately came with 2 keys. Home Depot (in Mesa) wouldn't even cut the 3rd for me, saying it was because it was a transponder key. Even after telling them I didn't need it programmed, the monkey refused to do it. The local Ace Hardware was more than happy to take my $2, even offering to try and clone it.
In both cases, programming the 3rd key was a simple process.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20

Premium Member

Yep. As Lazman also pointed out, Ford's have a system in place where if you have two or more programmed keys there is an easy DIY process to program extra keys. Just buy a chipped key, cut it, and program it.

On the other hand if you only have one key, you need the dealership to program more.

I bought a 2007 Ford Focus a few weeks ago but was only given one key and already researched this. So looks like a fairly pricey process of getting spares made. The general consensus seems to be to have at least 3 programmed keys so if you happen to lose one you can replace it without going to the dealer.