how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blu87

join:2004-03-23
united state

Horizontal Lines in Picture

I am getting horizontal translucent lines on two CRT TVs and I suspect the problem is with the cable (seems like I had this problem before). Does this problem sound like it could be cable related? If so, what is it?

I'll also mention that I noticed on two channels that the dialogue is out of sync with the video.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Is this through a cable box or direct connect to the TVs?

Are they single lines or dual lines? Partial across the screen or completely across the screen at once?

blu87

united state

Through the cable box. Single lines. Completely across the entire screen. They don't appear to be moving, but I suppose they could be. They're spaced fairly close together. They appear to be translucent, they're kind of hard to see. But they are on two (CRT) TVs.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to blu87

two thick lines?

blu87

united state

said by gar187er:

two thick lines?

No. There must be at least 20+ perfectly straight horizontal lines, from the top to the bottom of the screen. It's much more noticeable on the 4-5 y/o 27" TV than on the 13 y/o 20" TV. But the 27" TV is connected to the coax cable that has the lower signal quality.

A few days ago, the 27" TV had these vertical waves in it. They had been there for three weeks or so. Now they seem to be gone and the horizontal lines are there.

I'm going to ask about this problem in a TV forum. I just thought maybe it was cable related because it started occurring on two TVs around the same time. Combine that with the dialogue and video being out of sync, plus the vertical waves, it sounds like a cable problem.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to blu87

Sound like they may just be simple interference/noise issues. Make certain all the connections are good. Even loosen/tighten to make certain it's a clean connection.