fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

I call bullcrap on people who say...

that you cannot fax over Vonage. I sent two faxes today over my Vonage line without issue. People love to say that you cannot fax over VOIP. I was able to fax over Comcast Xfinity and now can fax over my Vonage line without issue.
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well, it depends on the machine you have, you must have a more compatible one. I could fax with Vonage just fine using a Canon PIXMA MP830, but I can hardly get fax to work with my current Lexmark Pro900.

I can send a fax to a test number provided by faxtoy.net (and the fax shows up on the site), but I can't fax to any number I actually need to so far. Nor can I receive a fax from those who have tried sending to me.

So Vonage does surely handle fax, that's a fact, but the unit I now have doesn't seem to like it much.

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

Ahh, I see. I was able to send it fine directly from a Lenovo T61 laptop that I am using through Windows XP Fax. I haven't tried sending it from my Canon PIXMA MP530.
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Edited:
I lied. Now it isn't working!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to fatmanskinny

said by fatmanskinny:

that you cannot fax over Vonage. I sent two faxes today over my Vonage line without issue. People love to say that you cannot fax over VOIP. I was able to fax over Comcast Xfinity and now can fax over my Vonage line without issue.

I call bullcrap on your post.

Just because your equipment and network setup can do it does not mean that it will work for everyone.

When I switched to Comcast Business Class from AT&T a couple of years ago, I suddenly found myself unable to reliably send and receive faxes using my Vonage dedicated fax line (that had worked with no problems using an AT&T DSL connection).

The cause turned out to be the SMC cable gateway router that Comcast required all Business Class customers to use. Recently after Comcast started allowing their Business Class customer to use Motorola SB612x series cable modems, I was once again able to start using my Vonage service for faxing over my Comcast Business Class connection (see my Comcast review comments here: »Update on solution for using Vonage for VoIP faxing ). However, even that was not reliable using the VDV23 boxes that Vonage is now shipping. I found that if I used the VDV23, it would frequently abort the call or even reboot if a fax was being sent/received along with heavy network traffic. That does not happen with a D-Link VTA-VR, a Linksys RTP300, or a Motorola VT2442.

TLDR summary: You may or may not be able to use a Vonage line for faxing depending on your Internet connection and/or the equipment being used. Whether you chose to believe that or not does not alter the facts.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to fatmanskinny

Not only have I been sending/receiving faxes over my regular Vonage line over the past 10 years, I'll do you one better. I bought a 1949 rotary desk phone off of eBay. One of those heavy, black ones with the ringer that'll wake the dead. Wouldn't you know that I can DIAL OUT and receive calls through my Vonage adapter with that phone! (I was going to leave it plugged into the Vonage... but the ringer, even on the lowest setting, could wake the neighbors. That's when phones were PHONES!!!
--
Guns Will Be Gone. Period. Thank OUR President Obama for putting the lives of our children ahead of special interests.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Yes, that was when phones were phones and I still have the old rotary dial phone we had when I was a kid in the 60's and it is plugged in and still working.

Don't know why I've really left it plugged in as even it doesn't work when power goes out, obviously, using an internet phone line, but it did when I was on Verizon/Frontier.

Those son of a guns WILL wake the dead, for sure though!

Now that you folks have made me test my fax capability, I'm only going to assume it's because of my Zoom modem as I had a SB6120 before until Charter messed it up with their stupid firmware update a couple years ago.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
reply to fatmanskinny

I fax on my Vonage line just fine. I did have to adjust the speed to 9600 from 14400 though.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to fatmanskinny

Works fine with my HP officejet 8600 plus.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by ilikeme:

Works fine with my HP officejet 8600 plus.

That's what I have as well.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to fatmanskinny

Not only is it depending on what Fax machine you have on your end, but also what kind of fax machine on the other side you try to fax to. In my case, I have 50% success rate of using Fax. Thankfully, most of the places that I use fax before now switch to much easier non-fax method for communication. So, it is not that critical for me anyway.