All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

i LOLd
@videotron.ca

i LOLd

Anon

Kids, We're going to the bowling alley! YAY!

This just cracked me up! LOL

»www.vancouversun.com/new ··· ory.html

Roseland public school's graduating students were told last Thursday that they were in for a spectacular year-end field trip to Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

On Friday, both Grade 8 classes were shepherded into a room, shown a video of their Disney dream vacation and given a PowerPoint presentation showing a palm tree-lined resort.

Travel brochures and hotel information were passed around. The flights are super cheap, a teacher said after one student expressed concern over cost.

The kids, ecstatic by now in anticipation, were urged by the teachers to yell out where they were going: "We're going to Disney!" That's when they were told to look at the last slide, which announced their 2013 field trip wasn't to a fabulous Florida funland, but to a Windsor bowling alley.

LOL, poor kids. heh Twisted but funny.

Couple of parents are claiming this is bullying on and on, blah.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Windsor has some of the lowest ranking for school's, so this shouldn't be surprising.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to i LOLd

Anon

to i LOLd
quote:
It wasn't until details of the incident were posted on Facebook and people began commenting on them that the apologies from the principal and the teachers began going out, the parents said.

Topolovec said it was explained to him that the prank was designed to stop one of the students from snooping on a teacher's desk, with fake Disney trip information laid out on the Thursday.

"To teach one student a lesson, they humiliated 60 students," said Topolovec.

This is absolutely HORRIBLE behaviour from the teaching staff. They should all be fired or at least suspended without pay for a month for their involvement in this.

It is utterly unprofessional behaviour from people whose employment is based entirely on trust and authority over young, impressionable minds.

I say fire them all and tell them 6 months later we were only kidding

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

said by lugnut :

quote:
It wasn't until details of the incident were posted on Facebook and people began commenting on them that the apologies from the principal and the teachers began going out, the parents said.

Topolovec said it was explained to him that the prank was designed to stop one of the students from snooping on a teacher's desk, with fake Disney trip information laid out on the Thursday.

This is absolutely HORRIBLE behaviour from the teaching staff. They should all be fired or at least suspended without pay for a month for their involvement in this.

It is utterly unprofessional behaviour from people whose employment is based entirely on trust and authority over young, impressionable minds.

I say fire them all and tell them 6 months later we were only kidding

At least they must be fired and no coming back to teach ever, and there needs to be some service to give back to reverse damage.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to i LOLd

Premium Member

to i LOLd
I think it's hilarious!

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS to i LOLd

Premium Member

to i LOLd
Wow, that's downright mean!!!

Then again, knowing how hellish some grade 8 classes can be for some teachers (my wife had to endure a 6 month LTO with one, never again she said), I can't help but think of the state of mind of these teachers who thought this up!!

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to i LOLd

Premium Member

to i LOLd
I love it.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

I think it's hillarious... but also cruel and unusual... much like living in Windsor
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

1 edit

Tig to lugnut

to lugnut
quote:

Humiliated? Really? Is this a drama school?

Edit: Just read the Sun story. Some inconsistencies in the details but it seems they video taped the prank and showed it to another class. I guess that's where the humiliation comes in. The initial premise is funny, but they blew it by going over the top on the delivery and then thinking it was worth documenting ala youtube.

neomathist
join:2002-07-17
Windsor, ON

neomathist to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Windsor has some of the lowest ranking for school's, so this shouldn't be surprising.

And so does Kitchener, London, Guelph, Toronto, Hamilton, and pretty much every city.

Windsor also has some of the highest ranked schools. Oh, and so does Kitchener, London, Guelph, Toronto, Hamilton...

Typical.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Tig

Premium Member

to Tig
Kids these days are very sensitive. Their fragile little minds can be easily broken should they require to process reality.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to i LOLd

to i LOLd
»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· rip.html

The idea started because there were concerns about students snooping on the teacher's desk. The Sun article is short on details.

The snooper then spread Disney on social media and whipped the class up in a frenzy. The teachers were obviously right about the snooper.

Once it was on social media, don't tell me that it was only the snooper talking about it. What if the snooper was spreading information about student grades, special needs, etc? How would that affect those individuals?

This way a relatively harmless piece of information being spread was used to determine whether the snooping was actually happening. A teacher could have a Disney brochure on their desk for a family vacation, it would take some snooping to figure out that it was for a class trip.

The parents complaining need to talk to her kid about spreading rumours and gossip rather than what the teachers did. I will say though that the video recording was across the line.

It wasn't just one student involved, I'm sure there were enough on Facebook and the like that a good number needed to be shocked with this.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

Let's look at the bigger picture shall we?

Educators are supposed to be professionals. What lesson were they teaching their students here? That the people in authority cannot be trusted? That your superiors in life will promise you the moon and only end up giving you a giant middle finger in the end?

I'm sorry but there's a time and place in life for fun and games and 99% of ALL practical jokes are just mean and never funny to begin with.

The teachers crossed a line here and violated a sacred trust that is part of their employment mandate. At the very least they should be facing severe disciplinary action for their participation in this act.
Expand your moderator at work
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to lugnut

to lugnut

Re: Kids, We're going to the bowling alley! YAY!

Ok, I will not defend the video taping, that was wrong and if any discipline comes from it, that is the issue, not the actual prank.

It was the students who first whipped themselves into a frenzy about the trip to Disney. Why? Because one or more of them was snooping (as the teachers believed they were) through the teachers things.

There are things on the teachers desk that may be confidential and have the potential to cause a lot of pain and embarrassment for students. There could be folders with IEP's (listing special needs, grade levels students are working at, etc.), grades, discipline reports, etc. If any of that gets out on Facebook, kids could face severe bullying and the like. It's not a joke.

So, some kid snoops and posts it on Facebook. Gets 60 kids whipped up. The teachers then play along with it and slam it shut. They didn't send the kids home with forms or anything, they just played along with it.

What would happen to you if you snooped on your boss' desk? Do you think all you'd get is a practical joke back? If you happened to look at coworkers (or one of your coworkers) was looking at your evaluations, how would you react and how would your boss react?

Without setting up cameras, it was probably very difficult to catch the snooper. This way it was revealed there was snooping, it was put to a stop.

The reason there are so many social media problems is because instead of focusing on what their kids were doing, these parents are creating national media attention on the teachers. There is a whole lot of garbage that 13 and 14 year olds create on Facebook and it's a good thing it was just about a Disney trip and not about a kid's special needs. I can assure you from experience that it wasn't just one kid spreading the information found, but many of them spreading it like wildfire.

And I don't know how many grade 8 kids would actually fall for this that hard. Most of them would question the whole thing and call bull before the end of the slide show anyways.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to i LOLd

to i LOLd
This is sadistic. The people responsible should be fired.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

This is nothing compared to what those kids do to each other, to teachers, to parents and to everyone else.

Their fragile little minds aren't shattered and they will live to walk another day.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Since kids can be bullies, it's OK for teachers to be sadistic bullies. What kind of twisted logic is that?

The people responsible should be fired.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

No, it means that this is nothing. it's not bullying, it's not the end of the world, it's just an average day for the kids.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

It's sadism, it's wrong, and it's inappropriate behavior for school employees.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

1 recommendation

ekster to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

There's absolutely no sadism in there. Kids are being way too overprotected to the point where schools are now a circus.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to i LOLd

to i LOLd
Absolutely brilliant at a whole bunch of levels. Kudos to the teachers. And a rotten apple to the poor little darlings and their equally spoilt parents.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

There's absolutely no sadism in there.

There is no other explanation.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster

said by ekster:

There's absolutely no sadism in there. Kids are being way too overprotected to the point where schools are now a circus.

... so you support the teachers encouraging such a circus?