spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tjb122982

join:2009-09-22
Terre Haute, IN

[Help] Downloading and Installing Ubuntu on a Chromebox?

Since there were no specific forum for this, I decided to post this here. I'm trying download and install Ubuntu on my Chromebox. However, both websites I have tried are "ready only." I will admit I may be doing it wrong. Are there any other websites I can use or anything on Google Code?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
There is a linux forum, with lots of friendly helpful people.

»All Things Unix

How to install Ubuntu on Acer's $199 C7 Chromebook

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/···omebook/

quote:
Because Chromebooks use a special BIOS and bootloader that is distinct from the ones used in standard Windows laptops, you can't use them to boot just any operating system. This is where ChrUbuntu comes in—it's a version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS modified to work with Chrome OS hardware. Once it's installed you should be able to use the C7 to do just about everything you could do with a standard laptop running Ubuntu, and the Chrome OS partition is left on the disk so you can still boot into it and use it if you're so inclined.

quote:
Preparing the Chromebook

Our first step toward getting ChrUbuntu on the C7 is to put it in developer mode. This is a multi-step process: first, turn your Chromebook off, and then press the power button while holding the Refresh (F3) and Esc keys simultaneously. This will boot the Chromebook into Recovery mode (which you'll also need to use to reload Chrome OS if you replace the hard drive—Google's instructions for creating Chrome OS recovery media are here).

Youtube video link:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpjTzav3kw

How to install Ubuntu 13.04 on Chromebook

»marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2013/0···omebook/
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.