uniqs
share rss forum feed

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1

SB6141 Link Speed

Is it unusual for a SB6141 to link to the network at 100Mb instead of Gb? Not that it matters, but wondering why its doing this when its supposed to have Gb!?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

4 edits

said by dnoyeB:

Is it unusual for a SB6141 to link to the network at 100Mb instead of Gb? Not that it matters, but wondering why its doing this when its supposed to have Gb!?

That would be entirely dependent on exactly what device you have connected to the SB6141, and what kind of Ethernet cable you are using. How about providing some details and then maybe you will get a definitive answer instead of a generic guess.

With my SB6121, if it is connected to a 1 gbps capable device and if I use at least a cat5e four wire pair Ethernet cable, the SB6121 establishes a 1 gbps connection speed. It I connect it to a 10/100 mbps device, the connection only gets a 100 mbps connection speed.

There is also the possibility the connected device (even if it is 1 gbps capable) has a compatibility problem with the SB6141's interface, and the auto-detect doesn't work. I have seen this happen many times between different Ethernet devices, and that is exactly why some network equipment (and/or the PC operating system) allows the user to override the auto-detect function as shown in the screen shots below.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

My device is a Netgear GS108T smart switch which is Gigabit capable and set to autonegotiation. The cable is CAT5e and is 1 foot in length.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by dnoyeB:

My device is a Netgear GS108T smart switch which is Gigabit capable and set to autonegotiation. The cable is CAT5e and is 1 foot in length.

In that case, you should be able to manually override the auto-detect for the GS108T switch port that connects to your SB6141.

I don't know if your GS108T will have its MAC address visible to the SB6141 or not, but if it is, that may occasionally cause you problems (especially if both the SB6141 and the GS108T are power cycled at the same time). I had to stop connecting my GS108E directly to my SB6121 because the SB6121 would sometimes see the GS108E MAC address, and that would mean that I would lose the use of one of my five allowable addresses. I now use a ZyXEL GS105S non managed switch directly behind my SB6121 and that problem has been eliminated. I have a business class account with five allowable addresses, but if you have a standard dynamic residential account, you are only allowed one attached MAC address that is visible to the cable modem.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

paulgj
Premium
join:2013-02-26
Bellevue, WA

Hi, I have the same issue with my SB6141, the link light blinks amber indicating a 100Mbps connection despite being connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router which supposedly has a Gigabit capable WAN port. Cat5e cable as supplied with the modem connects the two.

I tried changing the WAN port setting in the router to 1000Mbps rather than the auto setting but it caused the link light in the modem to go out and no connection can be made. Setting it back to the auto setting restored connectivity.

It would be nice to have blue lights all the way down on the modem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

said by paulgj:

Hi, I have the same issue with my SB6141, the link light blinks amber indicating a 100Mbps connection despite being connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router which supposedly has a Gigabit capable WAN port. Cat5e cable as supplied with the modem connects the two.

I tried changing the WAN port setting in the router to 1000Mbps rather than the auto setting but it caused the link light in the modem to go out and no connection can be made. Setting it back to the auto setting restored connectivity.

It would be nice to have blue lights all the way down on the modem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul

I have a D-Link DIR655 and a Motorola SB6121, and while my DIR655 is normally behind a ZyXEL GS105S switch, I temporarily connected it directly to the SB6121 just a couple of minutes ago. The result was that I still had blue lights on both the DIR655 Internet LED and the SB6121 Link LED.

I thought that the SB6121 and SB6141 hardware was identical except for the TV tuner section, but possibly that is not true.

Is your DIR655 Hardware Version: B1? If not, that might explain your different results.

Have you tried another Ethernet patch cable? Ethernet cables and connectors can develop problems (I can't count the number of network problems I have fixed by simply using a new Ethernet patch cable). In fact, one of my new D-Link/Vonage VTA-VR ATAs started to intermittently go off-line yesterday (it had only been in service for a couple of days), and the problem was with the Ethernet patch cable that was included with the new VTA-VR.

FWIW, I have on several occasions had to insert an inexpensive 5 port switch between two incompatible devices when neither auto-detect or manual settings worked properly. This sometimes happens even with enterprise grade network equipment.
--

paulgj
Premium
Bellevue, WA

1 edit

Thanks Netfixer, I do wonder if the SB6141 and SB6121 are more different than expected. Only a teardown would answer that question or a comprehensive component spec sheet from Motorola direct. I know the SB6141 supports 8 channel bonding vs 4 for the SB6121.

My DIR-655 is also hardware version B1 running 2.03NA firmware. I guess I could upgrade to the latest firmware and see if that makes a difference (just for the hell of it), more likely the firmware makes no difference.

I'll try some different Ethernet cables and see if that changes things, I have some Monoprice Cat6 lying around somewhere.

Thanks!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by paulgj:

My DIR-655 is also hardware version B1 running 2.03NA firmware. I guess I could upgrade to the latest firmware and see if that makes a difference (just for the hell of it), more likely the firmware makes no difference.

FYI: If you are running a guest WiFi network on your DIR655, don't go past firmware version 2.07NA. The 2.10NA version clobbers the guest network functionality. I am using version 2.10NA, and everything else seems to work OK (I am running my guest WiFi network on a separate Netgear WRN1000v2 router).
--

paulgj
Premium
Bellevue, WA

Well tried everything I could think of to get this darn thing to connect at Gigabit speed to no avail.

At one point it appeared blue and I thought it was good to go but once I opened the browser it changed back to amber. Weird.

Oh well. I sent an email to Motorola asking if this is normal and am also borrowing another unit to check it out for the same result.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Did you ever try those cat6 patch cables?
With my 6141 and Netgear router the only way I could get blue lights was to use a cat6 from the modem to the router and one from the router to my computer. I assume the Nic card in your computer is a 10/100/1000 card.
I have been told there shouldn't be any difference, but cat6 worked and cat5e didn't.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Wayne99021:

Did you ever try those cat6 patch cables?
With my 6141 and Netgear router the only way I could get blue lights was to use a cat6 from the modem to the router and one from the router to my computer. I assume the Nic card in your computer is a 10/100/1000 card.
I have been told there shouldn't be any difference, but cat6 worked and cat5e didn't.

The same was true with my NAS and Linksys router. It only showed gb connection when using a cat6 cable.
--
Deeds, not words

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to Wayne99021

FWIW, I never had an issue with a cat 5e showing a GB connection.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Me either. I'm using cat5e and getting a gigabit connection via my modem/router connection.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

kjarrett5

join:2002-03-30
Northfield, NJ
reply to NetFixer

Same problem here but I have an ASUS RT-N66U.

My old SB6121 sitting right here is laughing at me because it happily glowed BLUE for the WAN port speed:

»www.flickr.com/photos/kjarrett/8303707166/

So, this tells me the cabling and router are fine, and something in the modem is amiss.

This is an aesthetic issue, as performance of the LAN/WAN seem unaffected. Getting great transfer speeds.

Odd, though, and it bugs me. Still searching...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Wayne99021

When I first set up my 6120, I connected the computer directly to the modem. I had a nice blue link light, even through the cable was just plain Cat5 (not 5e or 6). It was about 6ft/2m long.

I have since replaced most cables with Cat6, although my current router doesn't support Gigabit.

Basically, there is no 'id code' or similar on an Ethernet cable. The only way a device can tell there is something wrong is to try a high speed. I also wouldn't be surprised that some really cheap cables may not even wire all 4 pairs, which is needed for Gigabit.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

I've seen some equipment come with cables with only two pairs in them, with bits of plastic in the connectors to block off the unused wire grooves/pins. I guess they really had to save a couple of cents .

I'll look around at work for some leftover Cat3. I want to try wiring up the longest segment I can find between two gigabit devices and see what happens.
--
KI6RIT

kjarrett

@comcast.net
reply to dnoyeB

FYI folks I had this problem and it was the cable. When I use the Cat5e cable that came with the modem, it lights up blue. My Monoprice Cat6 cable - that worked fine for the SB6121 & this router - isn't apparently up to spec. Imagine that!

paulgj
Premium
Bellevue, WA
reply to paulgj

Update, got a replacement SB6141 (the non-retail "black" version selling on Amazon) and this one shows the blue 1Gbps connection light. Weird. I also have a new Router (Asus RT-N16) and the previous SB6141 wouldn't connect to that one at 1gbps speed either. Must be that particular unit I guess.