spc
Search similar:

uniqs
InspectorK
join:2013-02-21
Grove, OK

InspectorK

[Speed] Very slows speeds two days after install

I had the 15/2 service installed on Tues. and today while working from home, I noticed connections getting slower and slower. By 5pm, I was getting less than 1Mbps down and RDP connections were timing out.
I've chatted with tech support and they basically had me connect to the modem and power cycle everything.
My SNR is at 35.4dB which should be in the 'OK' range, but I'm getting 5-20% packet loss and 100+ms ping times across 8-9 servers in my area using pingtest.net and speedtest.net.

I've got a dispatch setup for Monday morning but these speeds and latency will make working from home tomorrow nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

Please PM me your cable modem's MAC address and your current public IP (»whatismyip.com) and I will look into this for you.
jordanaustin
join:2011-08-25
Grove, OK

1 edit

jordanaustin

I live about a mile from InspectorK in the same town

I had the 15mb down 1.5mb up installed today. The technician installed everything and checked my signal. I'm having the same problem, except mine has been slow from the start.

Speedtest.net 2.09mb down 1.5mb up, Speakeasy 2.7mb down 1.5mb up. With different servers on each. 89ms ping.

I'm pming you my info.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

Any update on this? Seems a whole town with horrible speeds and pings is something that shouldn't go ignored. Especially with 2 customers that are less than a week into service.
InspectorK
join:2013-02-21
Grove, OK

InspectorK

I had a tech out yesterday morning. He stated that node 2(the one jordanaustin and I are on) is over loaded. They are supposed to be opening a few more channels some time this week. He wasn't able to confirm what day that would be working on it though.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

The maintenance was performed early this morning to alleviate the congestion. You two are on a completely different downstream and currently has plenty of bandwidth. I'll check it again Monday to see what it looked like over the weekend during the peak-time utilization.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin

Here's a link to my speed test results since I've installed SuddenLink.

»dl.dropbox.com/u/2378737 ··· ests.xls

Before and after the maintenance hasn't seemed to make a difference on my end. Still using channel 2 and seem to be using an ip address from the same subnet I had before. Don't know if that tells you anything.

I average 1-4 mb down, while my uverse averages 11. I don't leave any of my machines on suddenlink just because of how much slower it is. So I plugin to it once a day,about half the time do a modem reset in case anything is happening on the back end, then do some tests. I try to always pick random servers for more accuracy. I then unplug that PC, plugin to my ATT and do the same tests. Sometimes the burst down can hit 15mb, but it's not worth the consistently slow and the latency being twice to 4x the ms of my DSL.

I've still got 21 days left on my 30 day money back so I'm giving suddenlink every chance I can to straighten things out. It is getting rather exhausting having to constantly contact support who tells me nothing is wrong, contact on here who also says nothing is wrong, then try to make it down to the local office who is only available during times i'm out of town working.

At first the local office was telling me they were going to do an upgrade and my node (2) was having problems, now I haven't been able to get down there because they are closed on weekends and I was working on Friday. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just trying to do everything I can to let everyone know my service still isn't close to what they promised since it was installed.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

The only 'promise' that is made is that you'll have 'speeds up to xx mbps'. Your service may be taking a giant crap on you, but residential (not sure of commercial contracts) users are not promised any minimum speeds.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

1 recommendation

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
Last week's maintenance fixed quite a bit but there is still a problem. You are on a different node now and we're discussing further options to help resolve the current problem.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016 to moldypickle

to moldypickle
said by moldypickle:

The only 'promise' that is made is that you'll have 'speeds up to xx mbps'. Your service may be taking a giant crap on you, but residential (not sure of commercial contracts) users are not promised any minimum speeds.

I don't think they are mostly concerned with the speed. Its the fact the connection isn't stable at all. I'd be complaining too if a simple remote desktop session was timing out on a 15mb line.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Went to local office on Monday. Scheduled tech for this afternoon.

Took off work again, tech shows up today. SNR is good, but he says my signal isn't good enough and I'm showing errors. Thinks it could be water on the lines running on poles and to my house.

Did some work on the lines and fixed something but still showing problems and connection is still slow and inconsistent. My channel 2 upstream is at 26 dBmV which he says needs to be a minimum of 36. If that's the case I'm not sure how no one noticed it until now with all the calls, visits, web chats, etc that have been done, info is right there on the signal page of my modem.

Supposedly one of the backbone guys is going to be working on the run tomorrow to my house and troubleshooting what is wrong. I won't have any way to know if or what was done until Friday when I can take off work to go to local office.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

They probably won't be able to tell you at the office what the plant guys done to the line. Wouldn't take off work just to do that.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

said by SDL L3Tech:

Last week's maintenance fixed quite a bit but there is still a problem. You are on a different node now and we're discussing further options to help resolve the current problem.

They performed another maintenance on the morning of the 7th that has alleviated the bandwidth problem with the node you two were on.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin

To alleviate having to wait another weekend I ran home real quick and ran some speed tests to see if anything was fixed.

A technician was working on my street yesterday but left without ever talking to me so I'm not sure the current status of that fix, or if it even pertains to the speed thing you mentioned.

My previous link is still valid: »dl.dropbox.com/u/2378737 ··· ests.xls

03/08/2013 - 10:00 AM

15 meg Suddenlink
ST: 74 ms - 6.02 mb down - 1.59 mb up
ST: 7.51 mb down - 1.58 mb up
PT: 65 ms - 2 ms jitter

12 meg AT&T
ST: 25 ms - 11.36 mb down - .93 mb
SE: 11.26 mb down - .94 mb up
PT: 19 ms - 3 ms jitter

Here is my signal page from the very first day I had SLink installed two weeks ago:
»imgur.com/9RA8tKV

Here is my signal page taken today after all these updates:
»imgur.com/rcXPhj6

I'm going to stop by the local office again to see if there's anything I need to be doing or try and get some kind of update again.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Holy crap, I'm honestly surprised your modem is even connecting. With that upstream power level, you shouldn't even be online, lol. Downstream power levels are also very close to marginal. Is your modem on a direct line to the main splitter outside in the box?
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin

The tech was honest with me, it's a problem with the lines leading to my house. He even said my signal is worse than my modem is reporting, it's more like 24.

It's hard to get updates and support, but I'm glad to hear the right people are on it and working on it now. I don't have any clue why support multiple times over the phone and web chat connected to my modem and said everything was fine. Even the original installer didn't say there was a problem with signal.

Hopefully they will get it fixed this week.
jordanaustin

jordanaustin to InspectorK

to InspectorK
Came home to a $159.83 bill tonight. Wife is pretty pissed because we still don't have internet or TV since I haven't bought a cable card while waiting to see if they fix the internet.

I hope they will still honor 30 day money back since I've only had bad internet service for 2 weeks and already owe $59.83 minus my 100$ deposit.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
Hello Jordan, I PM'd you with an update on our findings.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

1 edit

jordanaustin

It appears all issues are resolved after 3 weeks.

The local office ran a 200ft temporary line while they fix the main line that is dropping signal from my house.

I've also heard at the local office there's an upgrade happening this Wednesday. Service seems pretty fast but inconsistent.

SDL L3Tech has also informed me of some more work being done on the backend.

For now the service is use-able and the company seems dedicated to fix issues. I also now have a couple ways of getting ahold of support so hopefully only small problems or none from here forward!

EDIT: It's back to 1-3 megabit down again tonight (03-19). I switched back over to my 12 meg DSL, Debating cancelling again. Another night talking with support, another tech scheduled, more time to take off work, fun times.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
Hello Jordan, the second upgrade was completed today. Please retest and let me know how it is.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin

tested twice on speedtest.net:
5.02mb down, 1.51mb up
17.24mb down, 1.56 up

then twice on speakeasy:
13.49 down, 1.56 up
7.51 down, 1.49 up

both groups of tests were done on the exact same server twice in a row.
jordanaustin

jordanaustin

Technician was at my house today. He said i'm barely within the signal limits of getting service. He tweaked it and it's working again for now, but still bouncing around.

Currently they are replacing lines in town, he wouldn't give me specifics or an ETA so i'm not sure when the service will be good but said that "this is why they are replacing lines".
TurboNerd
join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM

TurboNerd

Do either of you two have phone service through them as well. If so with the "line issues" with slow internet does telephony link to the call server?

Looks like your issue has gone on for a month.

Milking you past the 30 day "guarantee" I see.

Definitely empathize with the conflicting information.
I've gotten misinformation in all instances.
Call Center Tech vs Call Center Tech
Field Tech vs Field Tech
Call Center vs Field Tech

I am glad you have a suddenlink rep on the case from this forum, too bad they all have ignored my threads/contacts. Since our phone issues have gone on for years, internet for 3 weeks and now 4 days suspected TV service both Analog/Digital (thought it was them working on issue but the field tech denied it, but still might be true {see conflicting information paragraph})
I SUSPECT they all are afraid of tackling this issue and not be able to get it done since nobody has gotten it done so far.

I Wish they had a NOC that should verify what I'm seeing but that's one thing they say they don't have (I believe it's complete BS).

The NOC should be able to see I'm online but mta is not linked to call server (Guessing not getting appropriate DHCP information to move on to TFTP/call server linking). But everybody says if it's online the phone is working.

The NOC should be able to verify people's guesses of a "congested node".
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

2 edits

jordanaustin

No I do not have phone service. It wasn't available the day it was installed and luckily I get cell signal at home anyways.

I feel your pain. I don't have TV or internet working right and It's now been 30 days since install.

Here's some of my problems:

- Local office and support are two entirely different things. They don't talk to each other or have any idea what the other is doing or what's going on.

- I have no ticket for any of the issues I've experienced since beginning. No way to track where we are, what's been done, how much crap has gone in (starting over a lot).

- Sure support is open 24 hours a day but they have no idea what's going on and just keeps sending techs.

- Techs are only available M-F 8-4:30 when I'm busy M-F 7:30-5:30

- There is no way to call local office and when they say they will call me with updates they don't.

- Techs are scheduled for the afternoon but they show up at 3:30 or sometimes 4+. So as soon as they hit a snag, "well we'll have to check into this another day because office is closed".

- SDL L3Tech occasionally chimes in, but doesn't follow up often.

- I have no ETA on fix still to this day. I've had about 5 ETA's on fixes at this point, but none have worked. I keep thinking finally we are fixed, then that night, nope start over.

- My 12 meg ATT is faster, but yet a SLink sales rep told me when I was signing up on and on about how much faster this will be because I'll actually get the advertised speed.

- No refunds yet anywhere. I've spent over 200$ on bills, 100$ on modem, 200$ on cable tuner.

- Argued with support tonight about my cable card, still don't have TV working a month after install. First cable card dud, second cable card I only get SD and locals in HD, but rep says it's my equipment fault and wants to schedule another tech which means another day off work. The error i'm getting is not subscribed to channel, call cable provider lol.

- Currently downloading a file at 3mb with about 10mb bursts. Chart looks like a mountain. I still have ATT though so I frequently switch back over to a rock solid 11-12. Just costing me an extra 40$ a month.

- Took 1 whole day off for install in case of problems. A month ago, but it was installed then guy was gone leaving me with problems and telling me to call main office.

- Took 2 more days off total between half days I've taken off for this issue. (24 hours of vaca/missed work burned away and counting).

- 30 days money back as of tomorrow claimed, except with how many phone calls, emails, posts, research, meetings, money spent, time off, I've invested so much at this point I don't want to throw it away.

I keep thinking if we can just get it working then I'll be done and I can just have service for years. But from what I can tell the node is having serious issues even though nobody will admit or be real with me. Although I see trucks still installing more and more all over town, seems like they should stop until they can get what they have working solid.
TurboNerd
Clovis, NM

TurboNerd

DONT LET THEM TELL YOU IT'S YOUR OWN PERSONAL EQUIPMENT UNLESS THEY HAVE PROOF

I have spent over $3000 on routers, phones, cat 5 and 3 cables and they are all perfectly fine working at suddenlink houses friends/acquaintances.
I have Signatures from techs that buying XXX brand xxx model xxx version at xxx place (online and local) will fix the issue. Not going to to sue for equipment i can give away or currently in use but if we cancel i will bring everything unused in the bin to them and demand money if not I've already got a tort lawyer whom is also my baby momma lawyer still have credit on retainer and spent an hour of it discussing the situation he is thinking pie in the sky class action but needs to have his monkeys do more research but "FCC states minimum of 4 Mbit and they didn't maintain that and still charged you" maybe you can get this internet for free (keeping the ATT)until they fix the issue.
It's morally right.
But Money tends to be the important thing on immoral people/company.

Awww, Man I understand the investment in time. You can or probably have checked out my situation rant.

I had a magic reboot that "Magically" fixed the issues still drops to 5-8 Mbit but that is acceptable and what it was before. Nobody knows what happened. Supervisors Field/Center everybody says looks like your internet is fixed call back if it happens again.

Sure call back for another 3.5 week issue, and ongoing for 2+ years with phone and no answers. I want answers. If we know what happened we can PREVENT it from happening again.

Weather it be some other tech did something working on another persons issue, caused my issue. Overloaded node

After making that an issue and a customer for 22+ years finally got a local Field Supervisors, and His office supervisors HOME phone # (not BS office/SuddlenLink Cell phone to be ignored) where i am free to call at any point in time for problems.
I was surprised, but she beat me to my thought.

"I don't want to be woken up at all hours of the night every night or randomly I want it fixed so you won't wake me up"

I said the issue is not fixed until i get answers to my questions WITH PROOF and it doesn't come back for 30 days. She has till next Friday to give me the NOC's or some equivalent/acceptable findings on both phone/internet issues.

After all the conflicting answers and wasted time it has turned into me telling the trained phone monkey let me talk to a monkey supervisor, they want me to hang up and wait for the supervisor to get off his call and call me back, SAY HECK NO I WILL NOT BE PUT ON HOLD FOR LONGER THAN A MINUTE (so they don't handle another call while you are on hold) at a time until that supervisor responds.
It has also gotten to the supervisors supervisor whom I demanded Call them at home and wake them up any General Manager of a place is on call 24*7 Or we are going to read me back my case history WORD FOR WORD and get nothing done (waste my time i will waste yours)
Basically waste the call centers time to not resolve an issue so they cant help other people with easier issues

After doing the above becoming a squeaky wheel got me local persons phone #'s and after i got their suddenlink #'s threatening if i didn't get an immediate response i will call the call center and waste more of their time (of course the call center pressured them) and i got home #'s and am to NOT (she stressed not) give the 1877# a call for the current issues.

Hopefully i get honest answers by next Friday
If i get honest answers i would suggest the above
If i don't then i will be wasting call center times until i get an answer (turns into a 3 hour call (thank goodness i can watch tv while i have them drone out my case history word for word, to make sure the current trained monkey knows whats going on and not to lie and get the ball rolling on getting answers)

They (the smarter ones) bring up sometimes that reading doesn't resolve the issue let me set you up with a field tech. I bring up I have one and this call is about ISSUE #4 Quality of Customer Service/Support not a technical support issue and am making sure that this is a field tech thing but unless they have a department that handles it we are going to remain on the line because it's a phone center issue and we then continue wasting their time.

If i get honest answers would you like me to let you know weather wasting their time worked?

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

1 recommendation

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
jordanaustin
- SDL L3Tech occasionally chimes in, but doesn't follow up often and doesn't coordinate with local office. (He may actually be but I have no way of knowing).

Hello Jordan. When you first reported the issue you're experiencing I found a problem with the node (and others) and worked with the locals to resolve all nodes. This created an increase of bandwidth usage for the market and caused saturation further upstream. We have since upgraded that and now both problems I found have been eliminated.

With no bandwidth bottlenecks in the path, I have been attempting to find any other problems that would prevent you from getting your speeds but the network path is clean. I see no packet-loss or abnormal latency to your modem from the edge of our network. Also, I have updated you both times I found something and both times we fixed those problems.

TurboNerd
I am glad you have a suddenlink rep on the case from this forum, too bad they all have ignored my threads/contacts.

Hello Turbo. We received your email requesting support on March 19th at 9pm. We responded on March 20th at 7am requesting your account information so we can find your cable modem and start troubleshooting. However, at this time we have not received that information from you. If you would reply to the email or PM me your cable modem's MAC address and public IP (»whatismyip.com) we will be happy to look into your problems.

On a side note, in regards to the NOC comments, I can see everything you're expecting the NOC to see, nationwide.
SDL L3Tech

1 edit

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
Jordan, on that note, I found and fixed a 3rd problem. Please retest.

Edit: Please be sure to stop all other activity when running speed tests. I can see you're currently and steadily using 2.5mb+ which would reduce the outcome of speed tests.
TurboNerd
Clovis, NM

TurboNerd

SDL L3Tech>>> I apologize, I didn't anticipate a suddenlink.net direct e-mail. I added dslreports.com to the spam filter assuming it would be routed through dslreports.com. (having a hotmail.com account since 96 or 97 when i got a pre DOCSIS pre digital Analog Cable Modem and do receive LOTS of SPAM.

I found Mr. Abel's suddenlink addy but couldn't find one from yours. Can you resend your mail so i have suddenlink addy or do you wish me to use Mr. Abel's.

SDL L3Tech
Tyler, TX

2 edits

SDL L3Tech to InspectorK

to InspectorK
I personally prefer PM's through DSLReports. However, you can reply to Pete's email and I will get it that way too.
jordanaustin
Grove, OK

jordanaustin to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
SDL L3Tech - Fixed my post for you.

I'm a network technician for a living so I go into a little more detail than most, and probably most customers don't realize when they aren't getting what the pay for. Average person may want to just skip the rest of this.

Was testing 7 meg - 16 meg yesterday. Tested 6 meg today. I had friends over last night for gaming (I do a couple times a month). The lag got so bad I had to switch back over to ATT 12 meg again.

I run DHCP on my WAN on my sonicwall so it's no big deal to switch over to ATT when I have issues. All my equipment works with zero issues on DSL and has for years. Typically faster at 12 meg DSL than SLink's 15. Even if I just plug modem straight into a PC it's still all over the place as far as speeds, where ATT is solid 11.3ish.

The problem is my signal I guess, I run -9 on downstream and 32 on upstream. Tech himself told me I'm just barely on the edge of getting anything. I was at my uncles house helping with him wireless on Saturday less than a mile from my house and he has 57 upstream. Tests 17.00 consistently with zero problems. Thing is these installers should do site surveys and not install if the node or backbone isn't ready for it, or if signal isn't good enough until they can swap the lines.

I called and chatted for a couple hours to fix my TV today. They want to swap the cable card again and send another tech. There's forum posts all over the place of people having the same issue where you only get the SD and HD broadcast no encrypted. They say just keep calling and checking and swapping.

MY SUGGESTION for anyone looking to get cable, make sure they send someone from the local office to do a site survey first, ask them what the signal is they are getting at the pole and how it compares to what you need to be at. Write it down and check around online from people that aren't salesman or working for the company. Find someone in your neighborhood who has service and have them run speed tests.Take time off work and plan to take more time off if you have snags. It's hard to squeeze in time off to meet with techs and constantly follow up / troubleshoot. Just a ton of avoidable stress. Also plan on shelling out bucks they don't tell you about until it happens, like the deposit. Also tons more bucks for a modem and/or tuner or receiver if you are going that route. Also make sure you can return it, i'm in a bind cause i'm loosing about 15% of what I paid for that junk just to restock and send it back.

I cancelled my service today. It's been a month and I still don't have stable Internet, or signal. I've been trying to get TV on a cable card for a week now. I'll just check back with them once a month or so until they get their signals and problems worked out in my area. Then I'll debate trying again.