spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MikeSpears
join:2013-02-07
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

[Tampa] Getting BrightHouse Internet installed tommorow morning

I'm getting Brighthouse tomorrow morning (2/22/13) and I'm wondering, should I use the provided modem, or should I replace it with my own and return theirs?
MikeSpears

MikeSpears

Re: [Tampa] Getting BrightHouse Internet installed tommorow morn

I'm using my own router for sure.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

If you are even somewhat of a technical or heavy user, I recommend going with your own modem and router. You can bridge whatever they give you as well.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

I'm gonna use my own router and just rent a modem. I have a pretty amazing Amped Wireless R10000 (»www.ampedwireless.com/pr ··· 000.html)

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by MikeSpears:

I'm gonna use my own router and just rent a modem. I have a pretty amazing Amped Wireless R10000 (»www.ampedwireless.com/pr ··· 000.html)

I may get one of these myself. That looks sweet for $110
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

Yep, its pretty kick butt.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to MikeSpears

Premium Member

to MikeSpears
Guys you might think twice about that....

»www.amazon.com/Amped-Wir ··· points=0

The issues raised here cannot be overlooked even assuming half are real AND the newer generation unit is worse.

You know which routers (2 brands) I recommend so take a moment to consider all before hitting submit with that credit card.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

Hmm, I've had this thing for a couple of months and it works really well. They released an update for the connection wizard.
swbrains
join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains to MikeSpears

to MikeSpears
I just received a letter from BH in the mail saying I'll be seeing a $3.50 charge for the use of their modem in coming months. Since a typical D3 modem will probably cost you about $100, you can do the math... Divide that by the monthly cost of the BH modem and you'll see that it's more than two years before your personally-owned pays for itself. If you feel that's a reasonable ROI period for you then you may want to buy your own modem. Otherwise, renting from BH may be more cost-effective.

Regardless of which modem you use, if you're using your own router you may want to ask them to bridge the modem during installation or open a direct thread here to request it right after installation.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to MikeSpears
said by MikeSpears:

Hmm, I've had this thing for a couple of months and it works really well. Used it on my dad's Verizon FiOS line, I decided I wanted to get my own internet haha.

Every experience is going to be different and perhaps you don't need the features most complained about in the reviews. I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other...in THIS case just trying to get you look at everything first. Certainly your experience is a plus for people to consider BUT I don't like to see firmware and performance issues of that type with so few reviews. That scares me especially since I own or have owned pretty much every router you can think of and after you buy a few and get bit you learn real quick to check these things first.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

True that, tigerdirect has more reviews for it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to MikeSpears
As for using our modem or purchasing your own I will help you either way. We have no problems with you bringing your own modem provided it's on our approved list. In either instance I can help you with bridging. One thing to consider however if...IF you bring your own modem...you cannot get a static IP.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

The static IP is the big reason why I'll likely just use the provided modem. That's pretty awesome, static IP on residential service... Can I run an FTP server? I use it to backup my remote Linux servers.
swbrains
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains

Just curious -- What's the additional cost of a static IP for residential service?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for using our modem or purchasing your own I will help you either way. We have no problems with you bringing your own modem provided it's on our approved list. In either instance I can help you with bridging. One thing to consider however if...IF you bring your own modem...you cannot get a static IP.

Sure you can do pretty much anything you want so long as it doesn't impact others or pose a security risk to the network neither of which that should do. Case in point... I have Synology NAS systems here at the house. One is dedicated to my own personal website, remote media sharing, DNS server, email server, FTP server, VPN and several other things. I don't have a static because my IP rarely changes...I mean RARELY. If you leave the modem and router powered on it can be a very long time before you get a change.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears to swbrains

to swbrains
said by swbrains:

Just curious -- What's the additional cost of a static IP for residential service?

I think it's $10 a month for 1 IP
swbrains
Land O Lakes, FL

swbrains

Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to swbrains

Premium Member

to swbrains
said by swbrains:

$10 for 1
$20 for 5
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Sure you can do pretty much anything you want so long as it doesn't impact others or pose a security risk to the network neither of which that should do. Case in point... I have Synology NAS systems here at the house. One is dedicated to my own personal website, remote media sharing, DNS server, email server, FTP server, VPN and several other things. I don't have a static because my IP rarely changes...I mean RARELY. If you leave the modem and router powered on it can be a very long time before you get a change.

Thanks for your help.
MikeSpears

MikeSpears

@BHNtechXpert Will the tech need to use my computer to setup the modem? I don't mind, I'll just need to make sure I have anything work related closed out. The company I work for has employees use their own PC for work haha

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw to MikeSpears

Premium Member

to MikeSpears
Me personally I can understand why alot of people are upset about a modem fee. However if you look at the fact at for example living in Florida and alot of storms have alot of lighting, I have had my modem replaced several times in the past because of that and it saves me from having to work out the warranty crap as well as buying a new modem altogether. Bright House usually gets out to my house pretty quickly to replace the modem. I would rather IMO to pay the very small fee compared to the very expensive modem price.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

said by samw:

Me personally I can understand why alot of people are upset about a modem fee. However if you look at the fact at for example living in Florida and alot of storms have alot of lighting, I have had my modem replaced several times in the past because of that and it saves me from having to work out the warranty crap as well as buying a new modem altogether. Bright House usually gets out to my house pretty quickly to replace the modem. I would rather IMO to pay the very small fee compared to the very expensive modem price.

Yep, that's what i ended up deciding on. If a modem gets fried, i can take it to the store 25 mins away and have it swapped

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
Just curious ... are the 5 IPs from an unrelated cluster of singles, or are they part of a routed /29?
Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

Keiro

Duplicate post. Didn't see the duplicate post go through. Whoops!
Keiro

Keiro to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Just curious ... are the 5 IPs from an unrelated cluster of singles, or are they part of a routed /29?

Routed /29, as a former BHN Business customer with 5 static IPs.

I'd imagine it's the same way for residential customers.
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

Well, I'm online, however the modem they gave me is rather old looking, and is dirty and doesn't even have 802.11N support. The modem is a Netgear CGD24G

Netgear Advanced Cable Modem Gateway model number CGD24G

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Does it work? Are you getting the speeds you're paying for? Would a new shiney bright one make your service better in some way?
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

Well, it has no wireless n, and it looks horrible. I also want a static IP.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by MikeSpears:

Well, it has no wireless n, and it looks horrible. I also want a static IP.

Does the router you linked on the first page not provide your wireless service? Are you positive the one you have now will not allow you to have a static IP? If you think a "pretty" modem will give you better service tell them your current one stopped working..
MikeSpears
Concord, NC

MikeSpears

They already said they're gonna replace it due to its age and condition. Called them on the phone