Murfreesboro, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..
·Time Warner Cable
·Bright House
reply to MikeSpears

Re: [Tampa] Getting BrightHouse Internet installed tommorow morn

Me personally I can understand why alot of people are upset about a modem fee. However if you look at the fact at for example living in Florida and alot of storms have alot of lighting, I have had my modem replaced several times in the past because of that and it saves me from having to work out the warranty crap as well as buying a new modem altogether. Bright House usually gets out to my house pretty quickly to replace the modem. I would rather IMO to pay the very small fee compared to the very expensive modem price.
--
From the Tampa Bay/Brighthouse Market - *This is the opinion of myself and not the opinion of BHN. I do not work for BHN. In case of any conflict between the content provided on this website by me and the content of BHN themselves, BHN comments dictate.*

MikeSpears

join:2013-02-07
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·hostdime

said by sambowomble:

Me personally I can understand why alot of people are upset about a modem fee. However if you look at the fact at for example living in Florida and alot of storms have alot of lighting, I have had my modem replaced several times in the past because of that and it saves me from having to work out the warranty crap as well as buying a new modem altogether. Bright House usually gets out to my house pretty quickly to replace the modem. I would rather IMO to pay the very small fee compared to the very expensive modem price.

Yep, that's what i ended up deciding on. If a modem gets fried, i can take it to the store 25 mins away and have it swapped
--
Thanks,
Michael K. Spears
Bright House Networks and Verizon FiOS Customer

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
reply to BHNtechXpert

Just curious ... are the 5 IPs from an unrelated cluster of singles, or are they part of a routed /29?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Keiro

join:2005-10-25
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

1 edit

Duplicate post. Didn't see the duplicate post go through. Whoops!

Keiro

join:2005-10-25
Bakersfield, CA
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Just curious ... are the 5 IPs from an unrelated cluster of singles, or are they part of a routed /29?

Routed /29, as a former BHN Business customer with 5 static IPs.

I'd imagine it's the same way for residential customers.
--
Wanderer of the Stars...

Heimkoma Services and EidolonHost

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
reply to MikeSpears

Well, I'm online, however the modem they gave me is rather old looking, and is dirty and doesn't even have 802.11N support. The modem is a Netgear CGD24G

Netgear Advanced Cable Modem Gateway model number CGD24G

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL

Does it work? Are you getting the speeds you're paying for? Would a new shiney bright one make your service better in some way?

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL

Well, it has no wireless n, and it looks horrible. I also want a static IP.

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by MikeSpears:

Well, it has no wireless n, and it looks horrible. I also want a static IP.

Does the router you linked on the first page not provide your wireless service? Are you positive the one you have now will not allow you to have a static IP? If you think a "pretty" modem will give you better service tell them your current one stopped working..

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL

They already said they're gonna replace it due to its age and condition. Called them on the phone

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by MikeSpears:

They already said they're gonna replace it due to its age and condition. Called them on the phone

Ok, but I still fail to see what age and physical appearance have to do with its function. Other than saying it was ugly you haven't answered any questions about its performance.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to MikeSpears

OMG MikeSpears i looked up the specs of the modem/router they gave you Netgear CGD24G the specs are yucky lol I don't even think its a DOCSIS 3 Modem. Please tell us what internet Speed tier you have ?? If you have the 10 Mbps Download maybe that's why they gave you an older modem.
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Guide_Tim:

OMG MikeSpears i looked up the specs of the modem/router they gave you Netgear CGD24G the specs are yucky lol I don't even think its a DOCSIS 3 Modem. Please tell us what internet Speed tier you have ?? If you have the 10 Mbps Download maybe that's why they gave you an older modem.

I did the same, and agree that the specs wouldn't meet the demands of a DOCSIS3 connection. Thats why I was asking if it is a performance issue, or a "too ugly to be in my house" issue I hoped to find a release date, but didn't dig that far into it.

Edit: data sheet...
»www.netgear.com/images/cgd24g_ds···4784.pdf

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL

Ended up upgrading to the bundle, they're coming out tommorow to upgrade the internet. Got the 60mbit package, internet/TV. They gave me the cable box today

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

You will enjoy the Lightning 60/5. They will give you a nice new DOCSIS 3 modem/router combo unit maybe a Motorola SBG6580 or a UBEE. If you have any issues or need certain ports open , i suggest asking them to put it in Bridge Mode. Then you just use your own wireless router. But that's just me. Please keep us updated
--

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·hostdime

said by Guide_Tim:

You will enjoy the Lightning 60/5. They will give you a nice new DOCSIS 3 modem/router combo unit maybe a Motorola SBG6580 or a UBEE. If you have any issues or need certain ports open , i suggest asking them to put it in Bridge Mode. Then you just use your own wireless router. But that's just me. Please keep us updated

Got a brand new Cisco cable box They're coming out tomorrow between 12-2
--
Thanks,
Michael K. Spears

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

I'm so excited and happy for you. If you have any issues please let us know, there is alot of things that can be resolved without sending someone to your house. We are so blessed to have BHNtechXpert with us here to assist us with our service related issues what ever they may be
--

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·hostdime
reply to MikeSpears

Initial observations:
Cable: Very nice, HD seems to look better than Verizon FiOS, love the dark design of the channel guide. Cable box is faster than the VZ Fios one.

Internet: Will not share observations until I have the 60/5 package.

Customer Service: The people at the store in Brandon were awesome to work with.
--
Thanks,
Michael K. Spears

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to Guide_Tim

said by Guide_Tim:

We are so blessed to have BHNtechXpert with us here to assist us with our service related issues what ever they may be

Yes I agree we are blessed to have Gary at our beck and call.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
reply to BHNtechXpert

I've seen more than enough modems needing replacement, to know I don't want to supply my own.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to MikeSpears

So have I Rebus.....good seeing old friend.

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
reply to MikeSpears

Everything is now great, only thing I'm waiting for is my static IP.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2529869351.png

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA

That is fantastic news Mike Congrats

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
reply to MikeSpears

And I now have a static IP, the techs just left.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to MikeSpears

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
reply to MikeSpears

Just configured my own homebuilt router

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to MikeSpears

i wanna upgrade my speeds so bad, but i'm not geeked out like I used to be to utilize it
--
| map your city |

weaseled386

Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by pcdebb:

i wanna upgrade my speeds so bad, but i'm not geeked out like I used to be to utilize it

Neither am I, but my inner nerd demanded it!

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

said by weaseled386:

said by pcdebb:

Neither am I, but my inner nerd demanded it!

LOL

MikeSpears

Riverview, FL
reply to MikeSpears

Well, other than some crazy issues, everything's been working perfectly! I ended up adding in home phone, upgrading to 5 static ips, and the home phone rocks.