join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

[Need Info] 64 bit browsers- what do you like?

So far for 64 bit browsers I have came across 2.

1.) Opera
2.) Waterfox

trying to figure out which one is better of the two. Thoughts?

P.S. I tried looking for the best choice for 2012 or 2013 but all I found was the 2011 choices.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Is there a reason you need a 64bit browser?
Personally I haven't found a reason for needing it yet. But I do know some people might.
I've use the IE version and the Firefox version a few times but it seemed to be more of a hassle as some sites would make me go back to the 32bit just to view them.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to David

Pale Moon

...a-fast
...b-secure

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

4 edits
reply to David

Re: [Need Info] 64 bit browsers- what do you like?

Click for full size
Firefox 64-bit
Firefox-22.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_64
userAgent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20130222 Firefox/22.0

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

eddiebbbb

@bethere.co.uk
reply to David

Re: [Need Info] 64 bit browsers- what do you like?

Srware Iron.

Cyberfox.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 recommendation

reply to David

You will just have to try them out and see what you like. I tried waterfox, palemoon, IE64 each for a couple weeks so as to get used to them and have them set up as near the same as possible. I did not see where any of them were faster than another or the 32 bit versions but did find something in each one that did not work as good as the 32 bit IE9 and Fx 32 bit that is my most often used browser.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to David

Unofficial Mozilla for Windows x64
»www1.ocn.ne.jp/~htguard/

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to David

What OS?
Linux x64 (SeaMonkey & FF) can be gotten directly from Mozilla too.

What (perceived ?) benefits are you looking for by using a 64-bit browser?

The only time (that I tried a 64-bit SeaMonkey, Windows) where I saw any benefit was when using huge amounts (~4 GB) of RAM, & at that point "browser" usage wasn't much fun at all.

You can get up to ~2 GB of RAM with a 32-bit version (after which you're likely to crash).

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to David

I have 64 bit Window 7 Pro and just use the regular firefox.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to David

Why would anyone not use chrome? Other than privacy concerns it's by far the greatest browser in the market.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to David

win 7 ultimate, and as far as 64 bit browser use, just figured it is about time.

I was using google chrome, till it no longer wants to update and keeps freezing on certain pages (DSLr being one of them).

Thing won't update... fine, new browser it is.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to David

Pale Moon 64 bit browser. »www.palemoon.org/

And IE-10
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

Why would anyone not use chrome? Other than privacy concerns it's by far the greatest browser in the market.

I would use Chrome more, but the lack of a bookmark panel that I can keep open on the left side of the window keeps me in the Firefox camp. I have something over 1400 sites all organized into folders and I access man of them all the time. Chrome does not afford me the option to do that and I cannot figure out why the Chrome people are being stubborn about this one thing. I am not the only person who wants this feature. (sorry for getting off topic)

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Alcohol

I was a chrome fan till recently, when chrome decided not to function or update anymore. I uninstalled it and left it off the machine, maybe again one day when google gets their s__t straight again will I try it.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Alcohol

Because Opera's better.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

1) would rather not install any s/w from Google on my computer
2) WebKit
3) Chrome offers nothing over Firefox.
4) I like to actually play with my "chrome":

(w/minimal mods)

5) Ford. Chevy. FORD. CHEVY. FORD! CHEVY! ...(to each his own)
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
reply to David

64 bit browsers- what do you like?

3) Firefox

I like Firefox. Why? Simple, I do not like the others.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to David

said by David:

So far for 64 bit browsers I have came across 2.

I am currently browsing with 64 bit opera. I also have 64 bit rekonq and 64 bit firefox open somewhere.

But this is 64 bit linux, so the distro has compiled almost everything as 64 bit.

I am trying to work out why it matters. Don't web pages look exactly the same in a 32 browser and the corresponding 64 bit browser?
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC1; firefox 18.0.2

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to VegasMan

said by VegasMan:

Is there a reason you need a 64bit browser?

Same question I'm wondering.

I use Chrome for regular browsing, Internet Explorer for alternative browsing (or for a clean experience when I have too many Chrome tabs I don't want to add to) and Firefox when I want to use a few 'remove' extensions to print some web pages.

If any of those are x64 builds then it's not intentional.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to David

well like I said, I figure.. 64 bit operating system, why not make the software match the O/S.

I was a google chrome fan but for some reason it won't update on my laptop anymore no matter what internet connection I have. Last time this happend I just gave up on google chrome for a while (about a year I think) and went to firefox.

I still use firefox at the office as a portable app (32 bit).

cntrl-a to view..

note: sarcastic humor heavily applied below this black line... caution you have been warned!

So what I want to be a bit ahead of the 2038 problem!
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

MeDuZa

join:2003-06-13
Austria
reply to David

I'm using Opera. It is my favorite browser for many years.
Since Opera dumps Presto and I'm not enthused about using a Chrome fork I will have to look for a replacement.
--
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX

said by MeDuZa:

Since Opera dumps Presto and I'm not enthused about using a Chrome fork I will have to look for a replacement.

What's this about dumping Presto?
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by sivran:

said by MeDuZa:

What's this about dumping Presto?

It's been the talk of My Opera for about 3 weeks over in the Opera forums. Opera fired a number of Presto designers at the end of the year, moved some to other work, and has announced they're switching their browser rendering engine over to webkit, starting with their mobile family, but with the desktop to switch within 6-9 months or so. Posters have been about evenly split on whether or not it's a good idea.

For myself, I'll wait and see what emerges with their webkit Opera desktop version before deciding what to do. I figure 12.14 (with a Presto engine) has some shelf life left before it becomes too insecure or obsolete. My main concern lies with customizability, though some users are more concerned about the probable disappearance of Dragonfly and possible loss of other developer-friendly tools.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
Irving, TX

I just googled it and read a bit... 'm hoping it's just an engine change...and all the UI look, feel, and behavior stays the same.

Otherwise I may just have to go crawling back to SeaMonkey, begging it to take me back...
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to David

My biggest near-term concern is whether Opera has kept around enough of their Presto staff to maintain the existing desktop line from a security-patching standpoint, at least until a "final" version of the webkit-based version appears. Opera is not a stupid company, so hopefully security of the browser design will be maintained until then.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

MeDuZa

Austria
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

'm hoping it's just an engine change...and all the UI look, feel, and behavior stays the same.

As far as different engines can have the same feel and beavior.
--

MeDuZa

Austria
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

My biggest near-term concern is whether Opera has kept around enough of their Presto staff to maintain the existing desktop line from a security-patching standpoint,

I might be wrong but I don't think there will be many (if any) security related contributions to the Google Chrome code from Opera.
Probably you are aware that Yngve left Opera.
--

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to lilhurricane

said by lilhurricane:

Pale Moon

...a-fast
...b-secure

Ditto

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MeDuZa

said by MeDuZa:

said by Blackbird:

My biggest near-term concern is whether Opera has kept around enough of their Presto staff to maintain the existing desktop line from a security-patching standpoint,

I might be wrong but I don't think there will be many (if any) security related contributions to the Google Chrome code from Opera.
Probably you are aware that Yngve left Opera.

Yes... I knew he left. Perhaps I didn't explain clearly, though. My concern is whether there will be enough Presto gurus left at Opera to keep the 12.1x browser family updated from a security standpoint until whatever webkit version appears. I have little expectation of any real bug fixes or feature improvements to 12.14 with Opera's development focus now understandably shifted to webkit changeovers... but I do hope they'll be able to issue Presto-related security updates as/if needed until something new emerges for the desktop. 6-9 months can be a long time in malware-years to go without security patches.
--