spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

an inspector

@comcast.net

gas leak testing

if a home is gas leak checked by a contractor or an inspector and the results show no leaks, how long can one gaurantee that home to remain leak free?

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

2 recommendations

At least until the tail lights of the inspector's truck goes around the corner and are no longer visible.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to an inspector
said by an inspector :

... how long can one gaurantee that home to remain leak free?

If there was any hint of a leak to call in the inspector - for example even the faintest smell - you should really monitor for methane leaks from now on.

You can buy commercial units but for someone with a bit of electronics experience/interest, it is a simple DIY project. Replace the sensor every year. »www.sparkfun.com/products/9404

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

1 recommendation

reply to an inspector
said by an inspector :

if a home is gas leak checked by a contractor or an inspector and the results show no leaks, how long can one gaurantee that home to remain leak free?

You can never state that a gas installation is leak-free. At best you don't find any signs of it leaking. Even not finding any leakage doesn't mean it's leak-free - there may be a leak too small to detect.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to an inspector
When you put in a set of gas logs here, in order to get an inspection, the installer leaves a gauge of some type hooked up and the inspector comes by days later to see if there has been any change in pressure. Leaks can be so small that you don't smell them. After the work is done and inspected, any further leaks are between you and the contractor. No one can guarantee you aren't going to have a leak as they drive away in their car... as Jack says.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to an inspector
said by an inspector :

0.00000000000001 seconds following the test/inspection.

Actually, nothing is ever a guarantee to begin with. I don't think there is such a thing as a 100.0000000000% leak free gas system. There will always be some microscopic leaks, too small to be detected and therefore not an issue.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to an inspector
You can never guarantee a home will be leak free,as I can attest to that-every time my son uses the bathroom it's never gas free.
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to an inspector
Since you have identified yourself as "an inspector" perhaps it would be appropriate to ask the qualifications of the contractor or inspector who did the inspection? How was the inspection done would be another? Was the person doing the inspection properly licensed and certified to work on gas lines would probably a third.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
You can do anything from a soap and dial test to a full-blown pressure test. Even if you find no leaks, it doesn't mean that one component won't get fatigued or that some dope won't let loose and that a leak won't develop. All you can say is "no leaks found at the time of inspection as per __________ test".
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit
reply to lutful
said by lutful:

you should really monitor for methane leaks from now on.

Not if the OP has propane.