how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

[HELP] Advice setting up Cisco Home Lab

Current Network
Click for full size
Possible Setup???
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to Cisco and I recently set up my Cisco lab and it is separated from my home lab. Problem is that I want to work with the SDM, DHCP, and NAT configurations and access the internet from my Cisco Router. My computer has two NIC cards: one to connect to my home network and the other to connect to my Cisco network.

Attached I have my current setup. What I need is to modify this setup to have my Cisco 1721 and Airport Extreme to both have access to the modem simultaneously. Keep the networks separated, but maintain the connectivity from my PC via NIC2.

Also I need to know if it is okay to plug in a switch directly to modem. I seriously doubt it.

I will also attach a snapshot of what I think the solution may look like. Although I don't think connecting a switch connecting directly to the modem is the correct method to do this.

A side note: I would not mind using the Cisco 1721 as my primary home router and just use the airport as an A/P, but the router only has 1 10/100 Ethernet port on the back. This means I'd have to have the 2950 turned on all the time, unless I used my gigabit switch as an intermediate switch. The third diagram is my second option and I think this could do what I need it to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
The modem will likely only give you 1 DHCP IP (its possible it could give more but unlikely.)
--
»Death Star Petition

Would the third figure in my post work?

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to JorgeAlmazan
You can try to hook up both the Airport and the 1721 router to the modem and see if both devices receive IP address from the modem via DHCP.

If you need more than one 10/100 Ethernet port on your Cisco router, you can add WIC-4ESW for your 1721 or NM-16ESW module for your 2611 that either one will be your primary Internet router. Alternatively, getting a 1811 or 1921 router is probably better solution since these router models are newer and has more power to push packets which is essential since you don't want your primary Internet router to be a bottleneck.

Thanks for the advice. However, does the third diagram work?

aryoba
Premium,MVM
How did you mean by work?

For one, your 1721 router only has one 10/100 Ethernet port. Unless you add WIC-4ESW; how would you connect the router to the modem and the switch?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
And last I checked you can't do DHCP on sub interfaces, so a router on a stick wouldn't work if one of the sub-if's needs DHCP.
--
»Death Star Petition

reply to aryoba
You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking there.

Maybe I should just stick to my current design.

reply to aryoba
Those are too expensive for my budget now.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
For the time being, you can use one of the 2611 router that one Ethernet port connects to ISP modem and another Ethernet port connects to your internal LAN.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to aryoba
said by aryoba:

How did you mean by work?

For one, your 1721 router only has one 10/100 Ethernet port. Unless you add WIC-4ESW; how would you connect the router to the modem and the switch?

use a switch in front of your router with tagged-subif's.
disable stp, cdp on the modem-facing vlan so it doesn't think that your switch is the 'learned' mac address.

i used to do this when i had (3) static ips for my internet. i would use an "outside" vlan that i could plug in to with a workstation and get an outside ip address for testing vpn stuffs, etc.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to JorgeAlmazan
Who's your provider and how fast is the package?

So long as you could bridge the modem so your gear gets the public IP address, no reason you couldn't
use your cisco gear for your internet as well. Be warned of course that 1721's only rated for about 10Mbps
bare metal, while the 2611 is not much faster.

My 00000010bits

Regards