how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to Transmaster

Re: Sad

I've been arguing for two decades now that gas is too dangerous to deploy anywhere but in industrial areas. I recommend a 1 mile buffer zone between gas-using industrials and residential zones.

Look at what recently happened in Indiana, when that divorced couple blew up their home by disabling a regulator valve and detonating the gas with a timer-equipped microwave oven. Destroyed 81 homes, 31 of them so badly they had to be completely demolished. Gas is just too dangerous. Do you want your neighbors to have bomb factories? Having gas service is potentially the same thing.

Couple years back, a natural gas fired power plant was in the startup phases in Middletown, CT. They had a massive explosion. Fortunately, the plant was isolated from residential areas, but I shudder to think if it had been in a community. Never forget Durham Woods in Edison, NJ. 500 unit apartment complex destroyed in seconds due to 36" gas main failure.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Wow, I didn't even hear about the intentional explosion in Indiana.
»www.nytimes.com/2013/01/04/us/in···tml?_r=0

Kalphiter

join:2012-06-28
Metuchen, NJ
reply to disconnected
I witnessed the Durham Woods fire from my mother's womb

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Building next to where I used to live had a propane-fueled fire that melted the siding on my building. Ten 100 pound propane tanks exploded.

I think people should have gone to jail for illegally storing propane tanks, but the investigation was handled by the corrupt Nicholas Bissell and whitewashed.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 edit
reply to disconnected
said by disconnected :

I've been arguing for two decades now that gas is too dangerous to deploy anywhere but in industrial areas. I recommend a 1 mile buffer zone between gas-using industrials and residential zones.

Are you serious? Hundreds of millions of residential customers use natural gas every single day without issue. Stop spreading FUD. What alternative would you purpose for space heating? Electric and fuel oil are nearly three times as expensive, on a BTU for BTU basis:

1 therm (100,000 btu) of natural gas: $0.80 to $1.20, depending on utility and market prices
29.31 kWh (100,000 btu) of electric: $2.34 (@ $0.08/kWh) to $3.51 (@ $0.12/kWh)
0.72 gallons fuel oil (100,000 btu): $2.88 (at $4/gal)

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
I wonder how hard it would be to power an entire house on a natural gas generator...

You would think NG cars would take off considering that 1 therm would be cheaper than 1Gal of US fuel.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Crookshanks
Yup. It's just a matter of using it safely. More electric would mean more fires from wiring, etc, etc.

Electric is 3x the price of gas, as gas is usually like 85-90% efficient, while electric is 100% efficient at converting electricity that was made around 35% efficiently, often with gas, with 10% losses in the lines.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to David
Wouldn't save you any money, the thermal efficiency of a small generator is not very good.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
Exactly. It's for backup use only, and it's pricey to run those things during extended outages, as piston engines are usually 20% efficient at best.