uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

2 edits

Gem to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

Re: [WIN8] Does windows 8 adversely affect XP hard drives?

said by aurgathor:

said by Gem:

That utility shows the same error message when it views the drive as before "Can't read from Partition Tables at 00, Sector 0". Actually it said "error when reading from..."

That is very bad, and you may want to find out what's going on there -- the disk could be damaged. MHDD has a command that reads all sectors and displays how long it took to read them, but there should be several other suitable tools there.

Caution to anyone who has a mind to try Hiren's. Using the GParted program on it to wipe my drive took several hours. Upon completion it looks like either my monitor or video card was damaged in the process. So user beware on that one.

Can you elaborate?

As to MHDD, what is the full name of that program or is that it?
Do you have a link from which to download it?

As to Hiren's and the monitor or video card that might have been damaged, what happened is that after several hours of running the disk wiping routine, I came back to a black screen with yellow dots scattered through out the display and some text that was just barely readable.

When I rebooted into the bios, I could read the bios test, but some characters were in different small blocks of color and many of the yellow dots remained. It was as if looking at a display of a target that had been shot by a shotgun with very small lead pellets and as if the target was backlighted by a yellow light.

Very gradually the display problems seem to have gotten less as the monitor and video card cooled down - that's my theory. It's now almost back to normal. Best guess is whatever the default display settings were in gparted on that disk may have been too high for my monitor or the video card. Still hoping that both will fully recover.

I'll check soon and get back on that. Obviously, I'm not on that computer to login and post here as that computer isn't working yet.

UPDATE: Partial good news on the monitor and video card.

After cooling down overnight both seem to be running more normally now. All the small yellow pin prick dots are gone from the black post screens, but some letters still appear in blocks of blue colors instead of pure white. Take a look at a normal bios post screen, you'll see only white on black, but mine now shows some letters in colored blocks.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by Gem:

As to MHDD, what is the full name of that program or is that it?
Do you have a link from which to download it?

That's the full name of the program, and it's on the Hiren CD. I think it's in hard disk tools, and it's v4.60.