share rss forum feed

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne

Potential warning about freeware CD Burning programs

Just loaded a popular freeware CD Burning program onto my laptop and burned a small program onto a CD. The CD burned fine and the program it burned runs fine on another machine for which it was intended, but...

Now the Optical drive on the laptop is non-functional. It can no longer read any CDs or DVDs.

Of course, this may have been only a coincidence, but given the close proximity in time from a working optical drive to a a dead optical drive it is possible that the CD Burning program used may have overwritten the CD it was burning and burned out the drive. Or maybe something else did it in.

Bottom line, is to beware when using any burning program in a laptop optical drive.

Sad thing is that I've used earlier versions of the freeware CD Burning program on larger Optical drives in desktop computers with never a problem until now after using a new version of the CD Burning program in our laptop.

Other sad thing is we now have to search for, buy, and install a new Optical drive in the laptop.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 edit

What program?
Were you "overburning"?

I would suppose it is possible for a program to cause trouble, but I would think more probably that its a coincidence.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

Buying and installing a new Optical drive may just turn out to be more expensive than getting a new laptop! Know someone who had your same problem with that drive, and in theirs, it just went out not due to any program, which I suspect yours did too. They ended up buying a new computer as the drive was almost the cost of what they had paid for the laptop in the first place. Good luck whatever you find.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to therube

said by therube:

What program?
Were you "overburning"?

I would suppose it is possible for a program to cause trouble, but I would think more probably that its a coincidence.

No, I wasn't overburning. The program being burned to the CD was only about 38MB or less, iirc. The burn settings were set to write/verify and to finalize the CD after the burning session.

The program in question had no option in it, at least not one that I saw, to protect against overburns or overruns. I didn't worry about an overburn as the program being burned was so small.

PS to JKK - you are right a new Optical Drive from the manufacturer would likely cost more than this laptop is worth.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 recommendations

said by therube:

Indeed. The drive could have just as easily given out after being used for playback.

said by Gem:

No, I wasn't overburning. [...]

The program in question had no option in it [...]

Since you don't state which program you were using and you have lumped all freeware CD programs together needlessly, I'm not sure what the point is of your post...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

2 recommendations

The point of the post is to warn people about free CD Burning programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option.

The reason for not naming the popular free program that was used is that it could have caused the drive failure or it could have been a bad coincidence. Therefore it would be inappropriate to name a specific program that might not be the culprit.

Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
kudos:2

3 recommendations

reply to Gem

Buy an external USB burner. $30 USD.
»www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-B···20burner

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by Nanoprobe:

Buy an external USB burner. $30 USD.
»www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-B···20burner

I've been thinking about that option.

Do you know what transfer speed those USB optical drives have compared to IDE or SATA cabled internal optical drives have when transferring files to and from the main computer be it a laptop or a traditional desktop computer?

Also, how well do those USB optical drives work for viewing movies and how many different versions of CD and DVD discs are they capable of reading and writing?

Finally, how fragile are they? Asking that because the thin laptop Optical drives seem to die much more often than full size internal optical drives in desktop computers.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

I remember back when I had my first Dell desktop computer I got in 2000 I downloaded Nero and used it once and my CD burner broke. I blamed Nero but then the drive did decide to go bad when I used it with Nero. When I had it replaced I had no problems no more with Nero

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Gem

I am skeptical that the hardware is damaged. I suggest trying to boot off a livecd to confirm.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to tonyram57

said by tonyram57:

When I had it replaced I had no problems no more with Nero

The last version I had of Nero was years ago, but I seem to recall that it had a Burn Overburn protection feature.

Maybe all software burning programs have that feature today. I don't know, but do know the local tech I've used here for laptop repairs said that in his experience the most common cause of laptop optical drive failures was due to software burning programs burning over the edge of the disc and thus killing the drive.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

I am skeptical that the hardware is damaged. I suggest trying to boot off a livecd to confirm.

I tried that after the Optical drive wouldn't read a data CD, then wouldn't read a music CD, then wouldn't open a DVD file, then wouldn't boot a windows install CD.

You can hear the drive spinning and trying to read whatever type of disc is in the drive, but it can't see or read anything.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to Gem

I would think it is highly unlikely that the program caused the hardware to fail.
Over-burn is used to write more data to a disk then normal and you have stated that you only wrote 38meg.
So i don't see that being a issue in this case.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by mmainprize:

I would think it is highly unlikely that the program caused the hardware to fail.
Over-burn is used to write more data to a disk then normal and you have stated that you only wrote 38meg.
So i don't see that being a issue in this case.

Perhaps it was something that happened during the finalize disc command?

Maybe it was nothing to do with the burning program at all, but just an unfortunate coincidence.

All I know for sure is that the Optical drive ceased to work properly immediately after using the burning program.

Up until then I'd used the laptop's Optical drive repeatedly for for installing programs and for viewing movies with no problems at all and occasionally for listening to music. Now it won't do any of those things.

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI

1 recommendation

My new laptop had a defective DVD-R/RW drive, so I looked on eBay and found a replacement there. It was a used drive, but at least it was cheaper and guaranteed to be compatible with my computer. Make sure you search using the model number of your laptop's drive.

Gem
Premium

Thank you. Good idea. It is a Toshiba Qosmio model - # something with a laptop version of an IDE cable connection.

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

2 recommendations

reply to Gem

It's more likely that the CD burner program installed a driver that is now malfunctioning. If you have a drivers backup CD (some laptops come with it) reinstall the CD drivers.

If you don't have a driver backup CD you should be able to download the driver from the laptop manufacturer's site.

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

Gem
Premium

Thank you, that's an idea worth trying. Will do.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

I found this on Geeks...
»www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId···od0VMAWg

IDE dvd-rw laptop drive $19.99 + shipping [varies - would be about $4.30 - to my house. Uses discount economy.]
Total cost - with coupon code below: about $21-$22 shipped.

Paula
Premium
join:2000-10-12
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:2

4 recommendations

reply to Gem

said by Gem:

The point of the post is to warn people about free CD Burning programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option.

You are warning us about programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option. The program you used does not have an "Overburn Protection" option but you decline to give us the name. I can't understand why you started this post in the first place.
--
Bidden or unbidden, He is always present.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Paula:

said by Gem:

You are warning us about programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option. The program you used does not have an "Overburn Protection" option but you decline to give us the name. I can't understand why you started this post in the first place.

Color me befuddled too.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

I assume you have already tried to report the problem to the program's author. That's the best option before restoring to a public posting asking for help.

If the CD burner program you used had to be installed to be used, have you tried uninstalling it? Some programs will restore previous drivers during the uninstall process.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try reinstalling it.

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to AMDUSER

said by AMDUSER:

I found this on Geeks...
»www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId···od0VMAWg

IDE dvd-rw laptop drive $19.99 + shipping
Total cost - with coupon code below: about $21-$22 shipped.

Wow, that should be perfect. Thanks for the link, the search and the discount code. Big help!

I had forgotten all about Geeks. Will add them back to my shopping bookmark links.
Expand your moderator at work

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

Re: Potential warning about freeware CD Burning programs

First off I seriously doubt that this "freeware" program (probably a good one too) broke your optical drive on the laptop. Second, why are we singling out "freeware"? Are you saying that this would "never" happen with a paid for burner program. Third, why leave out what program it was... it takes the warning out of "potential warning"

I'd say it is coincidence. Things break. Even if it did, and I just don't buy it, break the optical device, over-burning certainly would not break it.

If it cost to much to replace the drive, get a portable one. There are plenty of them out there. I have two Samsung Ultra-slim External DVD Writer I bought them for a netbook that does not have a optical drive and my daughters Toshiba laptop because the installed one is broke and it's not cost effective to get a replacement installed.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

Your comments on the OP were addresses earlier in the thread.

I mentioned freeware programs because that is what this particular program is. Also because the older paid burning programs I've used have always had a feature to prevent disc overburns. That's something this free program seemed to lack. Followed that up with the report from our paid computer technician who fixes laptops that overburning was, in his opinion, a major cause of Optical Disk failures, and especially those failures in laptops.

Also mentioned much earlier that it could indeed have just been a coincidence, but it something that has happened to us twice before. Lightning does strike and sometimes it strikes twice in the same place as a coincidence, but not always.

If it was something caused by the burning process or by the finalize disc process perhaps it would be beneficial for others to be aware that might be a possible risk to laptop Optical drives. That's all.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10
reply to Gem

What if your optical drive became non-functional after using a paid for application? Would the warning be just the same? To me, it almost sounds like the drive is fine. Perhaps it is some version of UDF file system that has been installed that is preventing the optical drive from working correcting. With Nero InCD, this at times would cause my optical drive to stop functioning altogether until I removed certain filters from the registry. The root cause was InCD packet writer from a paid for third party application.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by Dustyn:

What if your optical drive became non-functional after using a paid for application? Would the warning be just the same?

yes, it would be the same.

Mods, please lock this thread. It is no longer useful to discuss this.

Several members offered useful suggestions.

Many thanks to everyone.
Expand your moderator at work