Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Paula

Re: Potential warning about freeware CD Burning programs

said by Paula:

said by Gem:

The point of the post is to warn people about free CD Burning programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option.

You are warning us about programs that don't have an "Overburn Protection" option. The program you used does not have an "Overburn Protection" option but you decline to give us the name. I can't understand why you started this post in the first place.

Color me befuddled too.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Gem
I assume you have already tried to report the problem to the program's author. That's the best option before restoring to a public posting asking for help.

If the CD burner program you used had to be installed to be used, have you tried uninstalling it? Some programs will restore previous drivers during the uninstall process.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try reinstalling it.

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to AMDUSER
said by AMDUSER:

I found this on Geeks...
»www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ··· od0VMAWg

IDE dvd-rw laptop drive $19.99 + shipping
Total cost - with coupon code below: about $21-$22 shipped.

Wow, that should be perfect. Thanks for the link, the search and the discount code. Big help!

I had forgotten all about Geeks. Will add them back to my shopping bookmark links.
Expand your moderator at work

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Gem

Re: Potential warning about freeware CD Burning programs

First off I seriously doubt that this "freeware" program (probably a good one too) broke your optical drive on the laptop. Second, why are we singling out "freeware"? Are you saying that this would "never" happen with a paid for burner program. Third, why leave out what program it was... it takes the warning out of "potential warning"

I'd say it is coincidence. Things break. Even if it did, and I just don't buy it, break the optical device, over-burning certainly would not break it.

If it cost to much to replace the drive, get a portable one. There are plenty of them out there. I have two Samsung Ultra-slim External DVD Writer I bought them for a netbook that does not have a optical drive and my daughters Toshiba laptop because the installed one is broke and it's not cost effective to get a replacement installed.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
Your comments on the OP were addresses earlier in the thread.

I mentioned freeware programs because that is what this particular program is. Also because the older paid burning programs I've used have always had a feature to prevent disc overburns. That's something this free program seemed to lack. Followed that up with the report from our paid computer technician who fixes laptops that overburning was, in his opinion, a major cause of Optical Disk failures, and especially those failures in laptops.

Also mentioned much earlier that it could indeed have just been a coincidence, but it something that has happened to us twice before. Lightning does strike and sometimes it strikes twice in the same place as a coincidence, but not always.

If it was something caused by the burning process or by the finalize disc process perhaps it would be beneficial for others to be aware that might be a possible risk to laptop Optical drives. That's all.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gem
What if your optical drive became non-functional after using a paid for application? Would the warning be just the same? To me, it almost sounds like the drive is fine. Perhaps it is some version of UDF file system that has been installed that is preventing the optical drive from working correcting. With Nero InCD, this at times would cause my optical drive to stop functioning altogether until I removed certain filters from the registry. The root cause was InCD packet writer from a paid for third party application.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by Dustyn:

What if your optical drive became non-functional after using a paid for application? Would the warning be just the same?

yes, it would be the same.

Mods, please lock this thread. It is no longer useful to discuss this.

Several members offered useful suggestions.

Many thanks to everyone.
Expand your moderator at work