Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Day Z mod now available directly from Steam

No more play with six client required...

»ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/d···gh-steam

»store.steampowered.com/app/224580/

Good times ahead!
EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

I'm curious as to how many play this.
My kids play it, and seem to "love it".

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Snakeoil:

I'm curious as to how many play this.
My kids play it, and seem to "love it".

I've tried it a couple of times and got my ass handed to me pretty badly, I decided that I'd get all the actual Arma II tutorials done before I tried it again.

The guy who introduced me to it absolutely loves it.

I think this may be because it's a mod, and they expect you to have played Arma2 but there absolutely no hand holding at all.

You log into the server, if it's night time where you are, then it's pitch black. I couldn't even figure out how to turn on my flashlight for the first 15 mins...
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

My kids watched hours of youtube videos, to get the idea of how the game was played.

They watch youtube for world of warcraft tips, minecraft, etc.

I watched them play for a few minutes. It looks interesting, but I don't think I'd be into it. I just started playing Earth and Beyond again. [EnB is an EA abandonware that some former westwood studio guys managed to re-create the server software. It's a space sim, free to play MMO. I think it's also "dead", meaning nothing new added to the game. Though it has 500-700 players].

I've seen how fast some of the zombies move, and how they are attracted to noise. My kids are always running, and they are looking behind them, and side to side. Something I've never seen them do before in a game.
The play on a non-pvp server. Which they say is hard enough without the pvp.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

It's pretty hardcore and not for the faint of heart. Some people find it boring because your best bet to stay alive is to move very slowly, sneak, stick to the woods, and scavenge supplies when you can without attracting the attention of either zombies or other players. If you're engaged in combat there's a very good chance you're going to die soon. Death is final. I really like it; it's very atmospheric and tense. But if that kind of gameplay bores or frustrates you I'd stay away.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

My kids watched hours of youtube videos, to get the idea of how the game was played.

They watch youtube for world of warcraft tips, minecraft, etc.

Funny you should mention that, I just used Youtube to help me fix a leaky faucet.

I'll admit I was a little confused by the lack of standard controls, but, other than that, it's pretty interesting over all.
--

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

The play on a non-pvp server.

I don't believe such a thing even exists in DayZ. It's all unrestricted open PvP.

I'll have to check into the Steam thing though. The launcher has always been a pain in my opinion.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

They told me that they play on a non-PvP server. Could be they were wrong, I dunno.

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN

said by Snakeoil:

They told me that they play on a non-PvP server. Could be they were wrong, I dunno.

It may be the equivalent of an "RP" server in WoW, but I'm pretty sure you can't just turn off PvP in DayZ. That's all I was saying.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Dissembled:

said by Snakeoil:

It may be the equivalent of an "RP" server in WoW, but I'm pretty sure you can't just turn off PvP in DayZ. That's all I was saying.

I realize some people don't like PvP but isn't turning it off in a zombie survival horror game kind of anti-climatic?
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Using godmode in games is anti-climatic too... but people do it all the time.

While I even dislike when friendly fire is turned... some people don't like challenges too much or just rather playing it much safely.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by ekster:

Using godmode in games is anti-climatic too... but people do it all the time.

While I even dislike when friendly fire is turned... some people don't like challenges too much or just rather playing it much safely.

Fair enough, and kids do need to feel safe(r) on occasion, but, you get what I was tryign to say.
--

Dissembled

Indianapolis, IN
reply to El Quintron

Actually, if you could turn off PvP in this game, I would have done it already. I don't play the game to kill other players. I much prefer the lone wolf gameplay of surviving in the woods, exploring, and sneaking past zombies for supplies, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing which server your kids are playing on though if you get the name/number from them some time.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

Maybe they play on a highly moderated server that kicks people who kill other people? Just a guess, don't know if it's possible.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Dissembled

said by Dissembled:

Actually, if you could turn off PvP in this game, I would have done it already. I don't play the game to kill other players. I much prefer the lone wolf gameplay of surviving in the woods, exploring, and sneaking past zombies for supplies, etc.

Fair enough, but I think the mod creator pretty much intended it to be a paranoid, trust no-one setting, at least that's how I interpret it.

I'm sure with the addition of the mod to steam, non-PvP servers should be incoming shortly.

EQ
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

My kids have decided that they will join the "asshole club" while playing day z. Their words. They understand PvP, where you are attacking the other guy, but they don't like the PvP where you help the person that only turns around to kill you.

They have tried helping a few people out, and each time the people would kill them, when they turned their backs. The first time, they were helping a guy get a car running. They stopped and one of my kids jumped outta the car that they were using.
The guy was in the backseat, shots my other kid in the head, then gets outta the car and kills my other kid. Then e "steals" their car.

That was their first "in your face" asshole action on that server. Another time after that, they were helping another player. While helping, that guys buddies snuck up and killed them.
So they figured if that is how assholes like to play, then that is how they'll play.

I can't see the why as to why other players would want to PvP in towns loaded with zombies. I can see PvP happening more often out in the middle of nowhere, where there are hardly any zombies.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

I downloaded Dayz from Steam but keep my sixlauncher app to keep the mod updated and for the better server browser.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Jobbie:

I downloaded Dayz from Steam but keep my sixlauncher app to keep the mod updated and for the better server browser.

What do you like better about their server browser? The few times I've used it I really didn't like sixlauncher...

EQ
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

The filter system is better and you get the information condensed instead of in a looong line I feel that it updates the mod more frequently.

They have a brand new version that is easier and better to use.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Jobbie:

They have a brand new version that is easier and better to use.

Good to know, it's been a while so I haven't looked into it recently.

EQ
--