join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Charter

5 recommendations

[Serious] Bad weather!

What a day yesterday. Somewhere around 8-9 inches of snow/sleet combo here, and I couldn't make it up the hill to get home; had to walk up. And it was COLD; knew it was probably going to happen, so I was appropriately attired. When I fed the dogs and took them out for the last time last night, there was a nice layer of ice on top of everything. Chance broke through, as did Missey and the BeaChis; the little dogs were able to walk on top. They had difficulty getting traction to go potty; slip and slide time at its worst. I hope the hill gets plowed today, so that I can get up the hill; the idea of not having the car here in case there's a problem is frustrating, as is the thought of having to walk down the hill to get to the car.

Got a great picture of Chance out in the snow, all warm and comfy in his coat. He was just standing there sniffing the snowflakes -- LOL!!!

--
"I can't save them all, but I sure as hell CAN help move them to safety." - Jo

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

2 recommendations

Take care and try not to worry. Howie says that spring will be here soon!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

said by jopfef:

I hope the hill gets plowed today, so that I can get up the hill

Heehee...kinda gives new meaning to "Is this the hill you want to die on?"

Sorry jo...I just couldn't pass that one up...

All kidding aside, do be careful, better to leave the car at the bottom until it is safely plowed.
--
Deeds, not words

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

I love the picture of Chance. Hope you can get your car to the house soon and enjoy more comfortable weather.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

Looks like Chance could use a hat!

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

We got ~10" in 90 minutes or so here... it's a MESS! I got called in to go to work tonight, so I had to cancel the class I was going to teach in the morning... Listening to the scanner yesterday and today was fun, as people keep getting stuck and/or sliding around. Even the firefighters were having issues with their trucks...

I don't mind snow, but getting it that fast was a bit much...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to jopfef

We're gonna git it here tomorrow and Sunday. I'm ready for a couple weeks of no snow!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

....just remember this come July, and everyone is posting forecasts of temps approaching a sauna!

Me? I could live without ever again putting on a coat, boots and gloves just to drive across town!
--
Deeds, not words

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 recommendations

reply to jopfef

We got it here too, Jo!! Ours was in the form of ice! 'Bout 1/2 inch. Knocked out power, and satellite interwebs, and TV.

Then, I couldn't get my generator started for about four hours. Finally got it going, and got the Wild Thang & Dish folks out to re-align the dishes yesterday. Power is now restored and all's well!

jopfef
R.I.P. Missey 1996-2014
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Charter
reply to jopfef

Re: [Serious] Bad weather! -- Update!

Well, it's now ice here. Got warm enough to do some serious compacting, and now even Chance, my 90-pound Yellow Lab, can walk on top of the ice. All my other dogs are skittering around on top of the ice. The gravel part of the road to get to my house is bare ice now, and I can't even get in to park the car at the top of the driveway; I'm now parked out on the blacktop part of the road and walking in -- not fun when I'm trying to bring in groceries and walking on ice! Truly a butt-buster, in every sense of the word. Very glad I spent good money on YakTrax all those years ago; they are saving me.

There is a 40% chance of rain tomorrow, which will most likely make the ice worse, since the run-off doesn't have anywhere to go. Monday and Tuesday we are facing another winter storm, with the possibility of another 6-10 inches of the white stuff. Very cold weather, with temps down in the low teens at night.

I'm so glad that I don't have to fight the battle to get to work anymore. And that's another long story for another time.
--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

A chance to see if you can teach your puppies to use skates maybe???

Maybe you will find the next Toller Kranston (only name I can think of - dated for sure.)

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jopfef

said by jopfef:

Very glad I spent good money on YakTrax all those years ago; they are saving me.

My sister in law who has a seeing eye dog that of course needs to "go" out regardless of weather swears by those things!
--
Deeds, not words

jopfef
R.I.P. Missey 1996-2014
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Charter

said by PeteC2:

said by jopfef:

Very glad I spent good money on YakTrax all those years ago; they are saving me.

My sister in law who has a seeing eye dog that of course needs to "go" out regardless of weather swears by those things!

Pete, I have two sets of boots here. One set is devoted to the YakTrax, the other set is plain. That way, I can put on whichever pair I need to wear, depending on weather conditions. Solves the problem of having to put them on and take them off, when I have to take my dogs out.

Kudos to your SIL for using them when her dog has to go out!
--