dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Guns pointed at people??
This is a sub-selection from It's their right.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

4 edits

whoaru99 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: It's their right.

said by tshirt:

Your constitutional right does not excuse you from reasonable and responsible regulation

There already is and has been for about 80 years. It's called the National Firearms Act, which prohibits things like machine guns (automatic) weapons, sawed-off shotguns, bombs, missiles, large bore rifles, etc.

Just how many of the 80 million or so gun owners are involved in killing someone or are suggesting they should have things already banned by NFA? Point being, stop lumping the 99.9998% of good folks in the category of the lunatics and criminals that commit these acts by implying we are not reasonable and responsible.

People are easily distracted by shiny trinkets and our perception of danger is easily distorted by rare events.

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU

The NFA doesn't ban most of those, you just need to pay a $200 tax for a stamp provided by the ATF. I have 2 short barreled rifles in 5.56 chambering that are registered with the ATF. The reason most people think they are banned by NFA is because you don't see them in most gun stores since my full auto ran me 12k, and a lot of others can run over 20k. SBR's can be built for about 900 with decent parts and another 200 for the tax stamp, and a 90 day wait from the ATF.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k

Premium Member

said by bTU:

The NFA doesn't ban most of those, you just need to pay a $200 tax for a stamp provided by the ATF. I have 2 short barreled rifles in 5.56 chambering that are registered with the ATF. The reason most people think they are banned by NFA is because you don't see them in most gun stores since my full auto ran me 12k, and a lot of others can run over 20k. SBR's can be built for about 900 with decent parts and another 200 for the tax stamp, and a 90 day wait from the ATF.

What confused even some pro gun folks is the provision on machine guns in the Firearms owners protection act. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· tion_Act A machine gun must be registered before May 19 1986 in order to be legally owned by civilians. No newer full autos can be registered.

So how much hassle is it to own a class III firearm? I've heard that you need to have paperwork approved just to transport them somewhere and the Feds can inspect your place to make sure they are properly stored.
whoaru99

1 edit

whoaru99 to bTU

to bTU
said by bTU:

What's your point? That a law abiding citizen can be trusted, despite allegations otherwise?

Hello??

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k

Premium Member

said by whoaru99:

said by bTU:

What's your point? That a law abiding citizen can be trusted, despite allegations otherwise?

Hello??

I think his point is, you said
quote:
There already is and has been for about 80 years. It's called the National Firearms Act, which prohibits things like machine guns (automatic) weapons, sawed-off shotguns, bombs, missiles, large bore rifles, etc.
Technically they aren't prohibited, at least by the Feds. You just need to pass their requirements for owning them.
whoaru99

1 edit

whoaru99

I understand what was said, which is why I questioned the point with this...

That a law abiding citizen can be trusted, despite allegations otherwise?

99.999% of gun owners haven't shot anyone and ten times less than that haven't killed anyone. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are fine, upstanding citizens, despite insinuations and or allegations otherwise.
« Guns pointed at people??
This is a sub-selection from It's their right.