Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[DSL] Poll: Will Bell Tech Show Up or Not?

okay my switch over from Bell is supposed to be taking place today.

Looks like as of this morning, DSL is no longer listed in my Bell account and my Bell email is disabled. DSL connection is still working for now.

Tech is supposed to show up between 12Am and 9PM today.

Who's going to bet a tech won't show up, and my connection goes down meaning I have to borrow my neighbours wifi and be standing in the middle of my driveway to post!

I hope they show up, even though since I have a pots splitter installed, they really have nothing to do!

I am betting they show up (well since I WANT them to! )

Hopefully this will also fix my weird login issue of slow downloads only with TSI login!

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

Make sure they hook up the right pair.

I had service installed last week (one dry DSL provider to another) and they disconnected the first service and hooked up the second service to the other pair.

They never came in and tested so last weekend I was standing on chairs to reach the demarc and switch wire pairs (since the inside wiring is difficult to access, it was easier to do it at the demarc)

Calmuser

Canada
reply to Calmuser

Guess i'm wrong....

2:30 and still no one!

they got till 9. but still..

at 4 i'll start getting worried.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

For me, when i switched from 5meg to 25meg vdsl, the bell tech never actually came to my house. he did switch the line to the remote at around 1pm. then the other outsourced "tech" who was supposed to install the pots splitter came at 9pm(!), so i politely told him to pound sand and just asked for the pots splitter and I installed it myself.

Thank god this was during the "Free Install" promo a year ago in March, otherwise I'd be seriously ticked off for being charged $99 install for that "service".
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Calmuser

Canada
reply to Calmuser

Guess they could of switched my remote already.

But my DSL sync hasn't gone down yet.

I also don't need a POTS splitter, as I already have one installed.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

What dsl package are you switching from & to?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Calmuser

Canada
reply to Calmuser

switching from Bell 16 to Tek 15.

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

Hi Calmuser,

I haven't forgotten about you, I checked your account again this morning and everything is still a go for today with the confirmation still showing with "visit required". Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Calmuser

Canada
reply to Calmuser

Good to see your still on it Jonathan!

I am not getting too worried yet. At 4, is when that will happen!

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Calmuser

okay a Telecon tech just showed up.

Didn't do anything...

I ask if I was switched at the remote, he says 'yeah all they need to is switch cards' not really directly answering my question!

I said it was up all day still, said well there is nothing I need to do, and left! mentioned I had the pots splitter already.

is this what I wasted $95 on?!!!!

TSI Jon
Premium
canada

Sorry to hear the tech wasn't that friendly and unable to answer your questions properly. The $95 activation fee entails more than just the visit, it also includes all the changes needed to be done remotely. I'm still keeping track of your account and if there is anything else I can answer for you, feel free to PM me again or ask here if you prefer.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

It's not that he wasn't friendly. He just didn't DO anything!

He also could of answered my question clearly if it was changed at the remote already or not.

So is everything set now? or there stuff some stuff that's not setup yet?

Still feel like my $95 was wasted..but oh well! I knew the cost beforehand, and chose to pay it!

I also had to pay $95 when I signed up for Bell for a prorated 1 time rental fee which they wouldn't discount for the modem!

Bell will try anything to get more money out of US!

TSI Jon
Premium
canada

Now we have to wait for the order to be completed and your profile to be set up properly which can take up until midnight. I checked on it and there is still nothing yet. I'll keep checking periodically and once I see something change I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Hopefully they either reused your old bell assignment, Otherwise your Slam may go dead if they did not rerun the Slam wires to your new port.. P:) lets hope It is not done remotely its a phsyical wire run that a person Has to do at the Opi/jwi
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

RizzleQ

join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Calmuser

The activation fee covers many things. There's the Bell tech who potentially does a wide range of things behind the scenes, either at the remote, CO, or sometimes right at the demarc. There's the Telecon tech who can do anything from doing absolutely nothing (like in your case where the inside wiring must have looked fine and there's already a POTS splitter present) to spending tons of time completely replacing all your inside wiring and install a POTS splitter. Some are apparently nice enough to even setup the modem for you. There's also the fact that the Telecon installation is warrantied for 30 days, which is part of why they are required to be there in the first place; they can't warranty something they haven't even at least looked at.

In some cases very little is done and in other cases a whole lot of work is needed on either Bell's or Telecon's end. They aren't all about charging a variable fee based on work done. It's the same reason the diagnostic maintenance charge (if a ticket is opened and they find no problems up to the demarc) is a fixed charge of $87.70 no matter if they spend 1 minute or 4 hours determining it wasn't their problem.

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Calmuser

I don't know what he did.

I only had 1 tech show up, the 'Telecon truck' tech.

I assume the Bell tech did the work at the remote without saying anything!

The Telecon tech, didn't even look at my wiring or anything! He took my word that the POTS splitter was installed and I had a DSL connection. Said there was nothing else he can do, and left!

Not that I mind, I just feel like I wasted $95!

I still would of thought the same thing if he had come in and had to install the POTS spliter as well, well maybe a little less ripped off.

xporterX

join:2010-07-11
reply to Calmuser

The telecon "tech" wouldn't know if you were switched to a remote or not, he can't touch any equipment before the demarc. And as far as the bell tech goes, 95% of the time when you switch to a 3rd party isp from bell, bell uses your same a assignment for that isp, same f1 pair, same f2 pair and same slam.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Calmuser

said by Calmuser:

Not that I mind, I just feel like I wasted $95!

I still would of thought the same thing if he had come in and had to install the POTS spliter as well, well maybe a little less ripped off.

Do you now have upgraded internet service? I'd like to know how this saga ends!

If it does require two technicians (or more considering back end systems) to get internet service activated then $95 is a bargain.

I assume, and probably wrongly, that most of the required activities are flat rate to make costing easier. Otherwise, unlucky customers would be on here screaming about $300 activations and stories like that would scare newcomers away.

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by QuantumPimp See Profile

If it does require two technicians (or more considering back end systems) to get internet service activated then $95 is a bargain.

I assume, and probably wrongly, that most of the required activities are flat rate to make costing easier. Otherwise, customers would be on here screaming about $300 activations and stories like that would scare newcomers away.

Opps!

Yes, I am now fully on TSI Internet!

I'm am still close to my 16MB profile I had on Bell with similar line stats.

They said it requires 2 techs, only 1 showed up for me.

Most likely the first one 'Bell' did work on the remote and didn't say anything to me.

The Telecom one that came by, I think wouldn't be able do anything if he needed to. If the work on the remote wasn't done yet.

$95 could be a bargain, and I don't know how much it it should be.

Regardless, I feel like it was wasted for what I had done.

But oh well! Nothing I can do about it, but complain.

I like complaining after all

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by Calmuser:

said by QuantumPimp See Profile

Yes, I am now fully on TSI Internet!

$95 could be a bargain, and I don't know how much it should be.

Good for you. In my opinion the value for money cannot be beat. Hope you feel the same a few months down the road.

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Calmuser

So far I'm Happy!

Similar speed to what I had on Bell.

Ping times do seem to vary by 5ms or so, compared with Bell.

Download speeds are about right, they do vary alot compared to what I had with Bell though.

Bell I had fairly solid speeds throughout the download.

on TSI now, it seems sometimes they start out slow, then slowly creep up. Or they will start fast, and slowly creep down.

It also different on depending on where i'm downloading from. (same with Bell on the diff servers issue)

I'm not blaming anything on TSI's network yet, as i've not tested enough.

Feels like I made the right choice so far anyways

After I've tested it for a week or so, i'll leave a full review for TSI in the reviews section.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Calmuser

said by Calmuser:

okay a Telecon tech just showed up.

Didn't do anything...

I ask if I was switched at the remote, he says 'yeah all they need to is switch cards' not really directly answering my question!

I said it was up all day still, said well there is nothing I need to do, and left! mentioned I had the pots splitter already.

is this what I wasted $95 on?!!!!

Per the CRTC documentation, the fee includes the Tech going into your home and actually verifying on your computer if you have what you bought.

Seems you didn't get that part that's included with your fee. Ask for a refund?