uniqs
share rss forum feed

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:6
reply to JorgeAlmazan

Re: [HELP] Advice setting up Cisco Home Lab

You can try to hook up both the Airport and the 1721 router to the modem and see if both devices receive IP address from the modem via DHCP.

If you need more than one 10/100 Ethernet port on your Cisco router, you can add WIC-4ESW for your 1721 or NM-16ESW module for your 2611 that either one will be your primary Internet router. Alternatively, getting a 1811 or 1921 router is probably better solution since these router models are newer and has more power to push packets which is essential since you don't want your primary Internet router to be a bottleneck.

Thanks for the advice. However, does the third diagram work?

aryoba
Premium,MVM
How did you mean by work?

For one, your 1721 router only has one 10/100 Ethernet port. Unless you add WIC-4ESW; how would you connect the router to the modem and the switch?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
And last I checked you can't do DHCP on sub interfaces, so a router on a stick wouldn't work if one of the sub-if's needs DHCP.
--
»Death Star Petition

reply to aryoba
You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking there.

Maybe I should just stick to my current design.

reply to aryoba
Those are too expensive for my budget now.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
For the time being, you can use one of the 2611 router that one Ethernet port connects to ISP modem and another Ethernet port connects to your internal LAN.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to aryoba
said by aryoba:

How did you mean by work?

For one, your 1721 router only has one 10/100 Ethernet port. Unless you add WIC-4ESW; how would you connect the router to the modem and the switch?

use a switch in front of your router with tagged-subif's.
disable stp, cdp on the modem-facing vlan so it doesn't think that your switch is the 'learned' mac address.

i used to do this when i had (3) static ips for my internet. i would use an "outside" vlan that i could plug in to with a workstation and get an outside ip address for testing vpn stuffs, etc.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."