Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA

[WIN7] Change permission level via network

Hi:
I have a few XP Pro and Win7 Pro machines on a workgroup network. I have outside vendors come in and they need, for the day, admin on the machines. I have accounts set up, I would just like to be able, across the network, to change the privileges on those account from User to Admin, and then back again after they leave. And not have to go to the Instrument to do the change.

Is there a way via command line, or windows utility to preform this??

Thanks,
fox7

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Can you leave accounts as part of local admin group and change password?

Cudni

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to fox7

Enable Remote Desktop on the systems that you want to access. Now you can log into them from anywhere on the LAN quite easily. Just be aware that Remote Desktop will forcefully logout any user on the remote system when you log in. ( I suppose MS is too afraid that people would start using one PC for multiple concurrent users if they allowed you to login in the background. There are hacks available online that allow you to do background logins, but I don't use that sort of stuff on customers PC's. I do have it installed on a couple of systems at home and it works great, though some apps complain that they are "already running" when you try to open them as the background user if they are indeed in use by the primary user).

You can also use UltraVNC, which grabs the remote screen without logging the user out. I use this a lot as it allows me to actually see what a user is doing when they have a problem. I've found it to be far more useful than trying to have a non-technical user explain exactly what they're doing. (I often hear "I got some kind of error when I tried to log in". Me: "Uhh, what did the message say?" What were you trying to log into? Windows? eMail? A database app?)

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to fox7

Maybe something like this: »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi···553.aspx
running a batch file on the remote system that uses NET USER to create and then delete the user when done?

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to fox7

If the userid you use on your machine exists on the remotes and the passwords match, just use the Computer Management app on your PC - Action, Connect to another computer and from there you can manipulate the local user accounts on the remote machine.

fox7

join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA
reply to Cudni

Cundi:
Yea, this is the only thing I could think of doing. It is a workgroup so I was thinking of using PsExec to do as you suggest, change the password. I was hoping I could just change the permission level of the account, but...

Thanks all!!

fox7