Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

calc1

join:2009-02-19
Rosemead, CA

[Speed Issues] Nightly slow speeds..

I'm on the 30/4 plan...

For the past month now I've been getting pretty ridiculous speeds at night. I can just barely hit 2/4 when i come home at night.

It has become a predictable pattern, around midnight through the morning speeds are fantastic, as of this posting I just hit this on a speed test.....

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2015804153.png

I don't know what the speeds are like during the the rest of the day while i'm at work, but as soon as i get home around 6pm i see miserable speeds. I'll be lucky to see 3 or 4 mbps on some nights but usually just under 2mbps.

I've been googling around and it sounds like a "node" issue, how would i confirm this? Now that charter direct is gone.... who do I even call to push this issue along.

A_Team

join:2006-10-16
San Luis Obispo, CA

I have the same issue where I'm at. "Decent" speeds in the day but at night after 6:30 I only get maybe 1.5/2, it's very predictable too. This has been going on for the past 2 months where I'm at.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

I have the same issues at my house as well. It is very predictable in the evening hours as you both have described. From around 6 PM -1 AM my speeds take a nose dive from very strong 40/5 range to 5/4. The weird thing is that my uploads always stay fairly consistent. I called Charter and they said that all signals looked good on both ends. No mention of overloaded nodes or anything. I had to cancel my 100/5 package because during the day I could only reach at best 65-70 Down. I only reached 80-90 Mpbs at about 2-3 AM.

calc1

Rosemead, CA
reply to calc1

Just got home tonight 7pm....

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2016697978.png

The only thing that remains constant is the upload speed, seems pretty stable at 4. The 6pm-midnight window seems pretty fixed.... It almost feels like charter is intentionally crippling service during that time. Seems a bit odd............. not sure what's going on.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

Yeah it is getting really old. It is very sad that we can't even see 10% of our advertised speeds at peak hours.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2016741834.png

Tanker

join:2012-09-18
Montgomery, AL
reply to calc1

I guess I'm lucky.

Not bad for the 30/4 plan.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2528176051.png

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to calc1

I am beginning to think that it is a west coast issue as this has been going on in our region for close to 2-3 months. I never had issues before that time frame. It could be how our traffic is being routed within the Charter network. Ping times also seem to increase significantly in the evening hours.

A_Team

San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to calc1

Well I'm having a good night, 2.5/3 is better than I usually get, how sad when I'm happy to see those numbers.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2016803213.png

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Ryan818

Have you checked out the dns addresses Charter is using lately in Medford? Here in Grants Pass they are using the following. Medford, Oregon Reno, Nevada and San Louis Obispo, Ca. Those last 2 are way to far from our area to be used? And we use to have a Grants Pass dns address being used. Not any more.

said by Ryan818:

I am beginning to think that it is a west coast issue as this has been going on in our region for close to 2-3 months. I never had issues before that time frame. It could be how our traffic is being routed within the Charter network. Ping times also seem to increase significantly in the evening hours.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

So, why are you using Charters DNS servers. We all know those aren't the best anyway and you have even posted here using GRC's tool to test for best DNS servers before?

I know you have had to have tried other servers. Did it not make any difference in the evening?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Ryan818

Medford, OR

1 edit

I am actually using a Google DNS and not Charter's. It appears to make zero difference in terms of speed in the evenings. I think it is either a huge backbone issue with their fiber lines on the west coast or something greater that they are unwilling to provide us. Just my 2 cents.

As usual my speeds are back to where they are during the day.
»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2017568913.png

bboe

join:2004-02-03
Monterey Park, CA
reply to calc1

Having the same problems every night and weekends. Every Sat and Sun its almost unusable starting at noon. I think it's time I went back to DSL even with the slower speeds at least it's consistent.

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV

Wow with speeds like that being an on going situation I would call their St. Louis HQ and say that since those are Internet Lite speeds you want the old internet lite price of 25$/mo.

Actually if Charter would let me keep paying 25$/mo I would trade those speeds with you. LOL

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Ryan818

said by Ryan818:

I am actually using a Google DNS and not Charter's. It appears to make zero difference in terms of speed in the evenings. I think it is either a huge backbone issue with their fiber lines on the west coast or something greater that they are unwilling to provide us. Just my 2 cents.

As usual my speeds are back to where they are during the day.
»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2017568913.png

Every time I've tested Google's servers with the GRC tool, »www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm they rank closer to the bottom of the list of decent servers. Even WAY worse than Charters. Google IS NOT the greatest at everything they touch, hence the name Google and NOT Midas!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Ryan818

Medford, OR

1 edit

That is funny because when I run the tool Google Inc. is at the top in terms of performance. Speakeasy is at a distant second. I guess it depends on where you live in the country and how close you are to a major node. Performance wise Google DNS servers are way better than Charter's here on the west coast.

Speeds as of this morning are more than advertised. But once the evening rolls around they will drop like a rock.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2531565079.png

A_Team

San Luis Obispo, CA

said by Ryan818:

Speeds as of this morning are more than advertised. But once the evening rolls around they will drop like a rock.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2531565079.png

Same here, the speeds this morning are excellent, but just like clockwork, about 6:30pm (or so) tonight I will be back to the 1.5/3 crap that happens every evening.

Meninx

join:2013-02-25
San Luis Obispo, CA

I am off of LOVR in SLO, CA (Near Prefumo Cyn Rd) and we have had the same exact issue since August 1, 2012. When 5:00PM or so hits, the downstream drops to 2mbps. I have screenshots of scores of speedtests done throughout the night and it's been consistent for months: 5pm-12am is garbage and most other times it's OK (you know, like when I'm at work not using the internet).

So, what I have done for the past three months is call tech support, have them send a technician out (had 4 our since November) and the tech says the same thing: "uh ya it's a problem and it might be fixed in a couple of months". I ask him to make note of his findings, then I call in to Charter billing and demand full months credit. So far this has worked three months in a row.

I would encourage everyone having this problem to do the same exact thing. Gather the "evidence", make them send techs out and then demand the service call and months fees be credited to your account. There is no reason to pay for this service until it is fixed.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

4 edits

Click for full size
9:10 pm

Click for full size
And you think that is bad. I have it as low as 1-2mb on the download side between 7-8:30 pm.

11:15 pm much improved but still not quite there on download.

12:23 am Just about there!

calc1

Rosemead, CA
reply to calc1

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2024876820.png

Another typical night....... upload speeds never miss a beat, dead on 4+.

This is becoming tiresome...

I have also taken note that there are other threads popping up with this same problem, glad to know this isn't an isolated issue.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

yup horrible as ever, like i talked about on the other thread. im here around del mar and graves. how about you calc1?

jaming

join:2001-12-15
Jacksonville, OR
reply to calc1

Hi. We have Charter Business accounts at two locations: 30/5 and 100/5 meg. We Have been having slow internet downloads 5megs at best with speed tests, but usually around 100k for downloads. We have had techs out and call Charter last few nights. We can't get anywhere with this. Charter just makes excuses about how they don't see a problem. We can't run our VPN without disconnects and timeouts. Our business is hurting because of this. We work at night. We pay them almost $300 a month and can't make head way.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR

Not surprised at all by this. Something has happened with in the past 3-4 months for it to be this bad. And it continues. I think part of it. Is from a lot of Charter customers dropping tv and moving to internet only. Everything is saturated now.

calc1

Rosemead, CA
reply to jchl89

i'm around valley and san gabriel. It was horrific last night barely managed 2mb down, but like clock work this morning.........

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2036357776.png

The saga continues.

jaming

join:2001-12-15
Jacksonville, OR
reply to calc1

Just an update. I called charter about the problem. The phone-tech-support said he noticed some small issue with my rx levels and that he would dispatch a ground-tech.

Phone-tech-support is rated on how many calls they take so they try to keep them really short. I was just being punted to ground support but I went with the flow.

Two techs came out and didn't find a problem (not surprised). They were nice enough guys but had little tools or knowledge about networking. I explained to them about traceroute and carrier peering. There we no tools on the linux laptop and without super user access we couldn't install any tools. I let them use my laptop and told them about traceroute and spoke about MRTG. They left and little changed for about a week.

My wife was sent a bill for $115 for the visit. bleh... She is pretty good at fighting with people on the phone and soon they got tired of her and refunded the money in a very threatening way... She was about the go over his 20 minute allowed time-per-call so he gave in. He told her she was recorded and this would be a one time exception etc. etc.

Speed has improved since. The VPN has stopped dropping out every few minutes. They found the malfunctioning router and typical of corporations they never said anything or refund any money for your lost business.

Charter will continue to abuse they're customers, because they are the only game in town (the monopoly). I'm just surprised...

I thought the business side would be better.

lnphoenix

join:2001-01-05
West Covina, CA
reply to calc1

I'm now seeing my night time crawling speed since last week and I'm with Charter for more than a year. Every night, around 8:30PM all the way to 1AM in the morning (I went so sleep so I don't check after 1AM), the internet speed (supposedly 30Mbs/4Mbs) dropped down horribly, mostly around 4Mbs/1Mbs. Last night was the worst, 1Mbs/150Kbs from 9:30PM to 1AM and basically we just quit using it. I've called Charter many times, and last night the call center said the signal into my modem is the worst she've ever seen in her career. This morning Charter tech came out early and everything is as good as ever. The tech said this probably is caused by congestion (too many internet subscribers download heavy stuffs at night time) and the ones in Charter who know it the most are those watching data usage, bandwidth etc. The tech said they couldn't do anything about this problem for me but to put my modem on watch list.

That's all there is to it.

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV

@Inphoenix:

It seems like that "it's a bad signal into the modem", is the offical Charter EXCUSE for this issue and a LOT of other issues that are on Charter's end.

I've had it with them and I'll be cancelling in the next couple of weeks, the price is too high for speed I don't want or need, and the customer service has become HORRIBLE since
CEO Tommy Boy Rutledge started on the job.

5 "Aw sh**ts" for Tom Rutledge and his horrible attitude towards the customer. Do not advance, do NOT collect 2 million dollars.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to calc1

Took that at 2:32 am a few minutes ago. Just goes to show it is not my "hardware" or "signals". It continues to be a saturation issue.

calc1

Rosemead, CA
reply to calc1

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2060657112.png

WORST night i've seen.....

I had to kick everyone off my network tonight because i needed it for work purposes. I have my modem directly plugged into my desktop just to get that.............

I've about had it, I can't even cancel service because i'm on a 2 yr contract Must i create a scene with customer service to get off without any early termination fees.

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA

the cable connection is completely down, right now. modem isn't even online.

mullingitove

@disney.com
reply to calc1

I've been paying for their 100Mbps subscription since 6/12. Like many here I've been getting terrible download speeds in the evenings, typically 10Mbps. I thought they'd lawyered themselves an allowance for this in their terms of service, but apparently they're supposed to be serving *at least* 70% of advertised speeds at all times.

I finally called them about it, and explained that this issue is with their node and not with my connection, because the slow speeds are happening in the evenings when of course they're hitting peak traffic. Their customer service of course followed the script and ignored reason, telling me that in order to troubleshoot they'd need to send a line technician out to my house to troubleshoot.

The line technician, to my surprise, informed me that he doesn't have any tools to troubleshoot connection speed. Charter corporate actually took those away in the recent past. So he couldn't simply plug in a modem at the utility pole and check download speeds there to do some simple deduction. He also was not allowed to view the stats on my node. Instead he could only focus on the signal readings, which were slightly out of spec but not much. On the day the service was installed, I got 98Mbps so I knew it wasn't an issue with the connection.

The line tech ended up replacing every piece of wiring from the utility pole to the modem. It resulted in a minor boost in signal strength. Of course by the time he finished it was early evening, so even with the improved signal my download speed actually went *down* from around 50Mbps at around 2pm to 15Mbps by 5pm. When he contacted the office to set up another visit to my house by a level 2 line technician, he learned that Charter staff were indeed aware that my node was heavily congested.

I called Charter to ask about a credit for my months and months of bad service. They rejected my request because I hadn't been vocal enough about complaining about the poor service. They told me they wouldn't issue a credit of any kind until the level 2 tech visited today. I had my subscription downgraded to 30Mbps service.

Level 2 line technician visited today, and again confirmed that the node is congested and "has been for a long time."

I'd recommend that every single time you're able to confirm that the service isn't delivering at least 70% of the advertised speeds, call charter and have your complaint logged. If they aren't quick to offer a refund, register a complaint with the FTC, because you're being defrauded.