uniqs
share rss forum feed

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Cartel

Re: [Info] Upgrade your Hotmail inbox to Outlook.com??

What's the big deal?

Windows live and Thunderbird still work as before with my hotmail addy.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
So, POP access is confirmed to still work... good.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Cartel
Yeah,....

My iPad and iPhone don't seem to have any problem with the move.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to ZZZZZZZ
Figured I'd take a look at the latest Thunderbird while I was playing around with Postbox... sad to think that Tb "died" without ever having moved the Address Book to a tab, and no "ThunderButton" as had been planned (and that app menu button ain't it). Well, Postbox is a better deal even if it does cost a little--not nearly as many annoyances and more in the way of helpful features (for Gmail to be sure). Figure I'll go ahead and "upgrade" Hotmail to outlook.com before the weekend is out--gonna happen anyway, might as well be now.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to UmmaGumma
said by UmmaGumma:

said by NotTheMama:

Does outlook.com have fewer/smaller ads than HoTMaiL?

So far, I haven't seen any ads.

I can't find a way to make it auto-refresh though. I have to refresh manually to check for new mail.

Ads are on the right side of the page. They dont show up if you have adblock.

I really like the unlimited storage in outlook and how it separates my amazon orders into a new folder.

Too bad i can't get the emails on my android phone. This is the only reason i won't switch from gmail.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
reply to Cartel
Having worked past the issue that this new Outlook always wants me to upgrade my browser, I have found a couple of other issues that I have had to deal with.

The first is that using Mozilla, I have no access to options. For as often as I need to access options, I can use IE.

All my contacts disappeared. Hotmail automatically added addresses used in forwarding mail to the contacts list. Outlook doesn't, and I had trouble finding out how to add to the contact list. What I eventually did was send an email from the account that I wanted to add, to my Hotmail account. I could then add that name to the contacts list and edit it. What a pain.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Too bad i can't get the emails on my android phone. This is the only reason i won't switch from gmail.

IMAP... someday. In the meantime doesn't android support EAS?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to couttsj
Accessing Hotmail was the only thing I ever used IE for--seemed the "fair" thing to do. In fact, Hotmail had gotten to the point that I actually liked the way it looked--layout/design, colors/themes, etc. I had been seriously considering paying the yearly fee just to get rid of the ads (being "fair" again). But now that Hotmail has been replaced by the new M$ design initiative (the best design is no design), I can stop considering--ain't gonna happen.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

couttsj

Vernon, BC
said by NotTheMama:

Accessing Hotmail was the only thing I ever used IE for--seemed the "fair" thing to do. In fact, Hotmail had gotten to the point that I actually liked the way it looked--layout/design, colors/themes, etc. I had been seriously considering paying the yearly fee just to get rid of the ads (being "fair" again). But now that Hotmail has been replaced by the new M$ design initiative (the best design is no design), I can stop considering--ain't gonna happen.

The advantage of using Mozilla is that with the No-Script addon, you can selectively block the scripts that supply the advertising. The other advantage is that when you click on a link in an email, it brings up a new tab automatically.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Alcohol:

IMAP... someday. In the meantime doesn't android support EAS?

The main account is still hotmail so i can't get any alias emails.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to couttsj
There are extensions for IE that do the same things, but since I don't actually use IE, I don't add anything to it--not worth the trouble. If I actually used my Hotmail address for anything, then I'd access it using Firefox and/or some client. I've had it for nearly 20 years--my oldest "surviving" address; figure I'll see how long it can last.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

Those Yahoo features you're referring to--POP access, "AdressGuard" disposable addresses--are Mail Plus features ($20/yr).

Don't cost me a penny, having got them through AT&T; the. "at&t Yahoo! HSI" service I had.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

couttsj

Vernon, BC
reply to NotTheMama
said by NotTheMama:

There are extensions for IE that do the same things ......

I have searched long and hard for something similar to No-Script for IE without success. If you know of something that will provide selective script blocking for IE, I would certainly appreciate the link.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
When I used I.E. years ago,I had the Active Scripting option permanently disabled,which worked well.

But now with Noscript for FF and NotScript and ScriptNo for Chrome/Iron ,it gives you more options.

Why would anyone choose to use the Outlook Webmail when Hotmail works just as well from any number of Pop apps?
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to couttsj
Are you using the ActiveX Filtering feature yet?

couttsj

Vernon, BC
said by NotTheMama:

Are you using the ActiveX Filtering feature yet?

Unfortunately, ActiveX Filtering only allows you to apply or not apply Addons on a per site basis. It doesn't allow you to choose which scripts to run on a per site basis. For example, I run 2 of the 5 scripts available with Outlook using No-Scripts. Even Google Chrome's NotScripts only allows you to choose scripts or no scripts on a per site basis. It doesn't allow you to select which ones.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Could be my "information" is out of date. I know that some devs were working on a so-called "NoScript for IE" (including Maone), pretty sure I saw a beta (alpha?) version available, but this was a while back, and I haven't really paid attention since; and since I find now that apparently even Maone abandoned his plans for an IE version, I guess there just wasn't enough interest (on the part of devs anyway).

Since M$ turned on POP access for Hotmail I've been using that, and before that I was using the Webmail add-on to effectively POP it to Thunderbird. I've only used IE to "drop in" when the mood struck to clear out the spam/junk folder; the ads are irrelevant for the minute or so I'm there every few months.
--

UmmaGumma

join:2011-06-19
said by NotTheMama:

Could be my "information" is out of date. I know that some devs were working on a so-called "NoScript for IE" (including Maone),

I've also seen that AdBlockPlus for IE is in the works, but I haven't found it yet. There's a new version for recent versions of Opera that handle PlugIns that's supposed to work better than the older manual add-on version.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to Cartel
I've been using Outlook with the Hotmail connector (wonder if they have changed the name to Outlook.com connector???) for quite a while. I like it far better than any web based GUI email that I've tried.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Well after using this new format, I must say, IT STINKS!

They wrecked it.

The Live platform has been beheaded.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to rfhar
said by rfhar:

I have had a hotmail account for years, well over a decade and never had a spam problem. Spam goes to my yahoo account.

That has been my experience as well. Virtually no spam on hotmail for several years now and more spam somehow appears comes to my yahoo email account.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to UmmaGumma
said by UmmaGumma:

I can't find a way to make it auto-refresh though. I have to refresh manually to check for new mail.

FF+TabMixPlus lets you set a refresh timer for a single/multiple tab(s).
--
Sequestration must be a great idea. Obama thought of it.