spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mannyrue
@frontiernet.net

Mannyrue

Anon

[DSL] 18k out from a frontier line and getting 1.3mbs speeds

I was told the other day by my frontier tech that I was 18k out from a line and could only get about 1.3, well a year earlier before my main line had issues I had a tad over 2mbs, so how can I go about getting my speed back up some?

I have called and they said I am provisioned for that speed set now which suck's for me cause I do a ton of steam game downloads...

I honestly think I could get over 3-4 mbs on this line but they do not want to try it out for me
Mannyrue

Mannyrue

Anon

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 30.8 28.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 46.6 29.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.6 11.6
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 2 0
CRC Errors 10 0
jpgr
WAR
join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

jpgr to Mannyrue

to Mannyrue
you have to call talk to a rep then tell the rep you want his superviser then tell the superviser you want them to talk to the provisionec department after you explained your self ...it worked for me !

Hemi_2500
@50.40.166.x

Hemi_2500 to Mannyrue

Anon

to Mannyrue
With those numbers there is no way you could get 3 or 4 Meg. 18K is kinda far depending on cable gauge. 18K on 19GA is nothing, 18K on 26GA is far out. I dont know what provision packages you have in your area but I would say you could go a lil higher.

coolman88
@frontiernet.net

coolman88

Anon

U will max out at 2.5 to 2.1mbps should hold 1.8 to 1.9mbps easy

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to Hemi_2500

to Hemi_2500
said by Hemi_2500 :

With those numbers there is no way you could get 3 or 4 Meg. 18K is kinda far depending on cable gauge. 18K on 19GA is nothing, 18K on 26GA is far out. I dont know what provision packages you have in your area but I would say you could go a lil higher.

I disagree, look at his SnR (30.8/28.0). While attenuation does play a role, in the end it's always about the signal to noise ratio. 3000/512 shouldn't be a problem, and it'll probably leave you with ~15dBs.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

Exactly. Those margins are great for 18k run. Must be using really good copper. Attenuation really doesn't matter; it's only relevant to judging speed when you know the cable loss and the cable gauge. Normal attenuation scale for DSL speed is based on 26g cable I think. If he has 24 or even 22, it might explain the crazy SnR.

With a SnR that high, you should be able to pull 3/512 easy, and maybe even a bit higher like 5/768, though you'd have crap margins around 6-10 I bet.

High SnR can be from high transmit power, clean lines, thick copper, a low provision, or maybe all of the above.

I advise you to get them to bump you up to 3/512 and see how it looks for a few days. If it holds sync without too many errors or no errors, try for the next level up. If its still not enough speed for you, consider a second connect line and use pfsense or a dual wan router to get the combined throughout of two lines. I do that with two 6mb lines and get around 10-13mbps download speeds. Much more reliable, too. I can download a huge file at 800KBps and still stream Netflix in HD

Mannyrue
@frontiernet.net

Mannyrue

Anon

Can you explain in more detail to me how you get that high up to around 10 by doing that?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Mannyrue

MVM

to Mannyrue
46.6 dB on an 18k foot loop? Unbelievable. I had 51.5 dB at half that distance. With 11.5 dB SNR and 3008/512.

The only explanation that seems reasonable, to me, is that you are served out of a Remote Terminal at a bit less than half the quoted distance. A T1-fed RT won't have the bandwidth for much over your current speed if it serves many subscribers. Contrary to telco advertising, DSL is shared; starting at the DSLAM.

3008/512 AT&T ADSL.

Mannyrue
@frontiernet.net

Mannyrue

Anon

Yea everyone I talk to ignores me and makes a new excuse of why I can not get my speed moved up some.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Mannyrue :

Yea everyone I talk to ignores me and makes a new excuse of why I can not get my speed moved up some.

A T1-fed RT is only going to have 1.5 MB for all connected customers. Shared. So going to 3.0 MB service would give you the symptoms of a congested service; which will be no better than what they give you now. I would say keep pushing them. Either they will have to admit insufficient capacity, or upgrade the RT. Or find out that they have a database error, and could have served you better in the first place.
Dolfan
join:2010-12-03

Dolfan to NormanS

to NormanS
You have some serious issues if you have an attn of 51, snr of 12 at 3m at 9k. A half way decent 18k circuit with 24awg cable will sync at 3 m all day long with an attn in the mid 40's and snr around 15db.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Dolfan:

You have some serious issues if you have an attn of 51, snr of 12 at 3m at 9k. A half way decent 18k circuit with 24awg cable will sync at 3 m all day long with an attn in the mid 40's and snr around 15db.

AT&T wonks, in the DSLR forum, didn't find my stats so awful as you seem to think, for ADSL (G.dmt) service. Sonic.net puts their ADSL2+ 6 Mbps service at about 9,000 feet, and only 1 Mbps at 17,000 feet.

Is CL using 24awg gold wire?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to Mannyrue

Premium Member

to Mannyrue
Mannyrue where are you located.

Mannyrue
@frontiernet.net

Mannyrue

Anon

I am located in the hill's of Bainbridge NewYork, and this is sadly the only dsl I can get, my other two options for internet is either Sat or dial up... I live virtually in a dead zone for anything good it seem's.
Expand your moderator at work

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to jamesonnorth

to jamesonnorth

Re: [DSL] 18k out from a frontier line and getting 1.3mbs speeds

said by jamesonnorth:

With a SnR that high, you should be able to pull 3/512 easy, and maybe even a bit higher like 5/768, though you'd have crap margins around 6-10 I bet.

A few years ago when I was a customer they had a batch job that would go through their logs and automatically provision the speeds down for any customer that had a margin that was consistatly under 10 (I think that was the cut-off #..memory getting fuzzy).
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

Yepp. It was a crap piece of software that thought it could do better than techs who work for at least a half hour to get a stable connection at a high rate. The software looks only at margins and adjusts speeds until they're at least 10 up and down. The problem is some lines just have low margins but are stable. Some lines have high margins and drop all the time. Each line is unique, and setting a single rule across all different lines is stupid. It's the same as looking at a line and seeing attenuation is 10 and saying the line should be testing at 20mbit. It's one sided and naive.

I believe Frontier stopped doing that, as I haven't heard anything about it lately.

That being said, lazy techs will sometimes provision a line so the margins are above 14 and just be done with it, assuming they're within ~30% of the speed. Other techs are nice and will over provision. I pay for two 6mbit lines and one is at 8mbit and the other is 7.9mbit. I also have nice techs and know what I'm talking about, though