uniqs

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Re: [Info] Upgrade your Hotmail inbox to Outlook.com??

Well it looks like dog puke and I'm not happy about it.
They are ruining the whole system.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

I think it's a lot better. And outlook aliases are great.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

The great thing about free, is it's free.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

2 recommendations

izy to Cartel

MVM

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

Here's what I would do if I were in your...sandals...

1. Call up MS and threaten you are taking your free email address to Gmail.
2. Sit back and wait for MS to send you 1 year free Outlook.com access for your troubles.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to Alcohol

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

And outlook aliases are great.

Are they different somehow from the aliases in Hotmail?

Does outlook.com have fewer/smaller ads than HoTMaiL? (I've had a Hotmail account since before Microsoft bought 'em. Haven't actually used it since the mid '90s because of the spam and having moved on to Yahoo and then Gmail, and I won't be leaving Gmail unless Google really screws it up more so than they already have with the Plus and the disabled "new compose experience" [which really sucks]... but that's what Thunderbird is for.)

UmmaGumma
join:2011-06-19

UmmaGumma

said by NoHereNoMo:

Does outlook.com have fewer/smaller ads than HoTMaiL?

So far, I haven't seen any ads.

I can't find a way to make it auto-refresh though. I have to refresh manually to check for new mail.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

2 edits

StillLearn to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

I think it's a lot better. And outlook aliases are great.

I looked it up, and they are useful. The 5 to 15 quantity limit is low. I use the Yahoo (provided with my internet) equivalent "AddressGuard" AKA "temporary email addresses" which allows something like 300. If one gets compromised, just delete the one. Make sure you never use the underlying address for anything except access and maybe with a particular user that you feel unlikely to get compromised. Also, I can use POP3 access too, which I am suspecting that Outlook mail would not provide.

With 5 I might use one for 1. banks etc, 2.friends who send non-Bcc emails to 50 of their close friends, 3. careful friends, 4.rebates and other short-term use. 5. Paypal, since some sellers put you on lists.

However I also found this which, if accurate, would reduce the advantage of outlook aliases. »www.eightforums.com/brow ··· ain.html
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Hotmail has had free POP access for awhile now, and MS keeps saying that we "won't lose anything with outlook.com" (though I'll believe it when I see it). Those Yahoo features you're referring to--POP access, "AdressGuard" disposable addresses--are Mail Plus features ($20/yr).

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn

Premium Member

said by NoHereNoMo:

Hotmail has had free POP access for awhile now, and MS keeps saying that we "won't lose anything with outlook.com" (though I'll believe it when I see it). Those Yahoo features you're referring to--POP access, "AdressGuard" disposable addresses--are Mail Plus features ($20/yr).

Several Mail Plus accounts are provided by my internet provider because Yahoo provides the mail service, although the sub-accounts are each administered through one main account. Each of the accounts including the sub-accounts can have its own set of AddressGuard addresses. The 5 to 15 on Outlook mail will still be very useful to those with other providers. It takes no extra work to receive. The address used appears in the To header, so you know which address was used.

The only addresses that I deactivated due to spams so far are PayPal twice, and a reputable electronics distributor that I deactivated when I got a single .ru email offering Rolex watches.

I did not know about the free POP access.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Yeah, Verizon used to provide Mail Plus as part of their deal to have Yahoo Mail for its customers, then they dropped the Plus for just the standard Mail--not really a problem since I only used it as an address for Verizon to use to send out notices about whatever (never use an ISP-provided address for anything "real").

The underlying outlook.com addresses being "revealed on hover" of the alias sounds like the same thing Gmail was doing for something or other feature they offered for "sending as" (though I forget the actual details). Well, just another feature I never used much if at all.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to UmmaGumma

Premium Member

to UmmaGumma
said by UmmaGumma:

said by NoHereNoMo:

Does outlook.com have fewer/smaller ads than HoTMaiL?

So far, I haven't seen any ads.

I can't find a way to make it auto-refresh though. I have to refresh manually to check for new mail.

Ads are on the right side of the page. They dont show up if you have adblock.

I really like the unlimited storage in outlook and how it separates my amazon orders into a new folder.

Too bad i can't get the emails on my android phone. This is the only reason i won't switch from gmail.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Alcohol:

Too bad i can't get the emails on my android phone. This is the only reason i won't switch from gmail.

IMAP... someday. In the meantime doesn't android support EAS?

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Alcohol:

IMAP... someday. In the meantime doesn't android support EAS?

The main account is still hotmail so i can't get any alias emails.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to NoHereNoMo

MVM

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

Those Yahoo features you're referring to--POP access, "AdressGuard" disposable addresses--are Mail Plus features ($20/yr).

Don't cost me a penny, having got them through AT&T; the. "at&t Yahoo! HSI" service I had.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to UmmaGumma

Premium Member

to UmmaGumma
said by UmmaGumma:

FF+TabMixPlus lets you set a refresh timer for a single/multiple tab(s).