dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

with Kris direction in the last serveral months, I built my machine

then on my own I built my wife's machine... it was less than $400 with OS and it runs so fast

I'm itching to build another... for the living room... for netflix, hulu, skype, GW2, is there a way to pipe my office machine to the living room TV? or will the living room require a whole other machine?

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I've actually ended up building 2 PCs recently

One for the living room as an HTPC for about $600 that's a bit too powerful (I ended up playing Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect games on my big screen, was freaking awesome on 1080p. ) that's also completely silent and blends in so well that people need me to get up and point with a finger at it before they realize it's actually a PC. Everyone just thinks that it's a DVD player.

Then I was lucky enough to have my PC fail a few months later and built a nice little beast for about $900...

I wish something else would now break or I could find a reason for another PC as I really want to build another one, but no excuse to do it. Those things are too damn fun to do.

TheThing

TheThing

i think the budget for the living room pc would be $600... which I would promptly tell the wife cost 300

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

You can easily do less than $600 if it's just to watch movies. Mine is $600 and it plays Mass Effect 3 on full flawlessly with zero overheating and noise, plus I spent a bit extra for a case because my wife didn't want a computer in the living room, so I had to get something that would blend in well with the rest.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I have an i3-550 with no dedicated video card in my HTPC. It streams and plays DVDs/blu-rays just fine.

TheThing

TheThing to ekster

to ekster
it would also be for GW2, LoL, PoE, Marvel Heroes

thinking small tower, black, to match TV and entertainment center

it's also going to have to be wireless, i have no ethernet there

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member